Thread poster: Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
Local time: 18:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 22, 2004

Some information on the bride and groom and we wish them all the best on this day.
MLD

Born on January 30, 1968, in Madrid, Spain, Felipe – known also as Felipe de Borbon y Grecia as well as the Prince of Asturias – was a popular figure as a schoolboy, dodging palace bodyguards assigned to him by enlisting the help of his chums. And when the future king graduated as a pilot in the Air Force academy he had the crown of his head shorn in the shape of a "T", as all Spa
... See more
Some information on the bride and groom and we wish them all the best on this day.
MLD

Born on January 30, 1968, in Madrid, Spain, Felipe – known also as Felipe de Borbon y Grecia as well as the Prince of Asturias – was a popular figure as a schoolboy, dodging palace bodyguards assigned to him by enlisting the help of his chums. And when the future king graduated as a pilot in the Air Force academy he had the crown of his head shorn in the shape of a "T", as all Spanish Air Force cadets traditionally do when awarded their wings.

Apart from stints in all three branches of the armed forces, the 6ft 4in royal has studied abroad - in the US, Canada and Brussels - and has both a masters degree in international relations and a law degree. He speaks French and fluent English, and loves astronomy, skiiing and sailing. He even competed in the 1992 Olympics as a member of the Spanish sailing team, in the same way his father did two decades before.

Though he'd lived with his parents his whole life, in 2002 he gained an estate of his own, the 11-bedroom, nine-bathroom New Pavilion of the Zarzuela Palace in Madrid. The 3,150-square- metre building also includes offices, meeting halls, 20 garage spaces and a swimming pool.

"Please do not ask me to open a new door after I have just closed one," he told the press in 2002 after announcing the demise of his high-profile courtship with Norwegian model Eva Sannum, which began five years earlier. "For strictly personal reasons, we will go our own ways," he said. "The relationship did not thrive, period. I hope we can enjoy a lasting friendship."

The couple had inspired a debate in Spain as to whether the prince should be able to marry a commoner. Other girlfriends of the prince – who once reportedly said, "The princess market is very limited" – have included US co-ed Giselle Howard, German royal Carolina de Waldburg, and aristocrat Isabel Sartorius, with whom he ended a similarly controversial romance in 1992.

"I've said several times that I do not feel obliged to marry someone of royal blood," the prince had said. "But I'm not closing the door on that option, either." Whoever he chose, insisted Felipe, "It will be a relationship based on love, respect and kindness." And it seems the prince kept his word. In 2003 the royal palace made the surprise announcement of his engagement to 31-year-old newsreader Letiza Ortiz Rocasolano - a commoner, divorcée and popular public figure - with nuptials planned for summer 2004 in Madrid's Almudena Cathedral.

The love and respect Felipe looked for in his life partner is also reflected in the attitude he holds towards his parents. "In the king I have a father, but also a leader, a friend and a counsellor," he says. "My mother has provided the humane, intellectual and spiritual part of my upbringing... I've often been described as being a combination of both my parents, physically and in character. I don't know if that's true and I don't even know whether I'd be capable of extracting the best part of each of them. Perhaps that would be the best thing."

Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, a news presenter on Spanish state television station TVE, was born on September 15, 1972 in the northern Spanish city of Oviedo (Asturias).

She is the eldest daughter of Jesús Ortiz Álvarez and Paloma Rocasolano. Her father founded the tv-channel Antena 3. Letizia's mother is a nurse and union official who works in a clinic in Moratalaz, Madrid. Letizia's paternal grandmother was a well known radio broadcaster in Asturia for over 40 years. Letizia has two sisters: Telma and Erika.

From her 8th year she went to school at the public Colegio La Gesta I in Oviedo, which she left in 1986. She loved literature, music and ballet. Then she studied at the Instituto Alfonso II and later at the Centre Ramiro de Maeztu in Madrid. After earning a degree in information sciences at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid. After receiving a Master's degree in audiovisual journalism she pursued postgraduate studies in Mexico City, where she also worked for the newspaper Siglo XXI.

Letizia started her career at the Asturian daily La Nueva España, ABC and the international editing desk of Agencia EFE, Spain's news agency. Later, she joined the United States' Bloomberg financial TV network, which in Spain is under the supervision of Agencia EFE Television. Following a stint as newscaster, editor and reporter for CNN Plus, in 2000 she joined Televisión Española (TVE), where she has edited news and anchored newscasts, in addition to hosting specials and reporting major news, such as the 2000 election in the USA, the attacks of September 11, 2001 and the situation in Iraq in 2003, as special on-site correspondent. In 2001, she shared the Larra Award, awarded by the Madrid Press Association to upcoming journalists, with another young reporter. The year she joined TVE, she won the best journalist under 30 prize from the Spanish Press Association. "Being a reporter is in her blood," says a workmate. Her last appearance on TVE was on October 31, one day before the announcement of her engagement to the Prince of Asturias.

http://theinternetforum.co.uk/rf/felipe2.html
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gracias Maria Luisa. May 22, 2004

Gracias por la informacion Maria Luisa.
Vivo en Londres y me cuesta mucho trabajo mantenerme al tanto de este tipo de informacion pero me es irresistible leerlo pq soy español. Y nos guste o no nos guste es un dia importante en la historia de España. Y aunque ha habido muchas criticas yo soy partidario de la presuncion de inocencia (para Letizia, claro esta) y les deseo mucha felicidad.

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe because I have always lived in the Americas... May 22, 2004

But to me, all this royal stuff is so much wasted money, so much wasted time, so much wasted energy. Shouldn't the world be over these fairytale idiosyncrasies by know? This is the twenty-first century!

I don't mean to upset anyone. I am only giving my opinion because the post is an open invitation.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Please, don't let this thread become controversial May 22, 2004

María Luisa has regularly contributed in this forum with explanations and reminders of Spanish festivities, I see this post as one more of that kind.

If anyone is against this "royal stuff" and thinks that this post should be suppressed, you can ask for that and it will be, considered as "controversial". If it's not to that point, please let those who appreciate to have this information to be able to read it.

Jesús, this post is in the Off-Topic Forum, please use Engl
... See more
María Luisa has regularly contributed in this forum with explanations and reminders of Spanish festivities, I see this post as one more of that kind.

If anyone is against this "royal stuff" and thinks that this post should be suppressed, you can ask for that and it will be, considered as "controversial". If it's not to that point, please let those who appreciate to have this information to be able to read it.

Jesús, this post is in the Off-Topic Forum, please use English.

Claudia in her moderator role.
Collapse

moya
moya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
French to English
+ ...
agree with you, Sol May 22, 2004

Sol wrote:

But to me, all this royal stuff is so much wasted money, so much wasted time, so much wasted energy. Shouldn't the world be over these fairytale idiosyncrasies by know? This is the twenty-first century!

I don't mean to upset anyone. I am only giving my opinion because the post is an open invitation.

I have to say I agree with Sol. Although I do come from a "Kingdom" I've always thought all this money could be spend on more important things.
It might cheer people's heart to see the wedding, but does it bring more bread on the impoverished people's table???

But then again, so many billions are wasted every day, would this make any difference ???

(Sorry, just not being happy with where the world is going)

I am happy for the couple and do wish them a long and happy life.

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, I don't want it suppressed! May 22, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I am sorry, Claudia, I did not mean to upset anyone. I gave my opinion, as I said, because this is a forum, an invitation to talk about it. Or am I wrong? Maybe it was just a space to give the newlyweds our best wishes... if it that is the case, there it goes: Best wishes to the newlyweds!

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
No problem, Sol May 22, 2004

The point is that an innocent thread can become controversial, and controversial postings are not allowed.
Maybe you don't appreciate monarchies but those who do could be ofended by your viewpoint, and that's the problem.
Discussing is allowed as long as it doesn't hurt other's beliefs.
Most of the time we are not even aware of that, and we notice it when we meet opposition.
In ProZ the rules are that politic, religious and controversial posts have no place in the forums.
... See more
The point is that an innocent thread can become controversial, and controversial postings are not allowed.
Maybe you don't appreciate monarchies but those who do could be ofended by your viewpoint, and that's the problem.
Discussing is allowed as long as it doesn't hurt other's beliefs.
Most of the time we are not even aware of that, and we notice it when we meet opposition.
In ProZ the rules are that politic, religious and controversial posts have no place in the forums. When they are not related to language there's no place for them at all, except in the Off-Topic forum, so we have to take care of it (and respect other's opinions).

I hope the reasons are clear.

[Edited at 2004-05-26 13:05]
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
English to German
+ ...
I couldN#t agree more May 24, 2004

Sol wrote:

Shouldn't the world be over these fairytale idiosyncrasies by know? This is the twenty-first century!

Indeed, there are more serious problems in the world than the marriage of people who've never had any problems and, probably, never will (except for spending money and killing time).

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I have to lock this thread May 26, 2004

Sorry María Luisa

I know how often you contribute with articles about cultural aspects but this one is apparently a topic that doesn't let people see it only as cultural.

Following ProZ Forum rules and for the reasons explained above and because two postings, considered controversial were not made public, this thread is being locked.

For those who still wondering why, please read again the explanations given above.

Thanks for your understandin
... See more
Sorry María Luisa

I know how often you contribute with articles about cultural aspects but this one is apparently a topic that doesn't let people see it only as cultural.

Following ProZ Forum rules and for the reasons explained above and because two postings, considered controversial were not made public, this thread is being locked.

For those who still wondering why, please read again the explanations given above.

Thanks for your understanding.

Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »