Annette van der Lei
Annette van der Lei  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 8, 2012

Dear all,

I absolutely love ice skating...however, last week my skate got stuck in the ice so i fell backward and caught myself with my wrist. I will probably be in plaster for 3-6 weeks
I'd like to go back to work asap, although I am fully aware that I should take the necessary rest.
Has anyone had the same experience?
How long did it take you to fully recover?

Best,

Anne
... See more
Dear all,

I absolutely love ice skating...however, last week my skate got stuck in the ice so i fell backward and caught myself with my wrist. I will probably be in plaster for 3-6 weeks
I'd like to go back to work asap, although I am fully aware that I should take the necessary rest.
Has anyone had the same experience?
How long did it take you to fully recover?

Best,

Annette
Collapse

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry to hear Feb 8, 2012

Take good care and I hope you heal soon!

In the meantime, you could try Dragon Naturally Speaking, the software works quite well!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking... Feb 8, 2012

I use DNS occasionally and it is quite OK, although you must read everything carefully after translation since it sometimes understands odd things.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Type with one hand only? Feb 8, 2012

Dear Annette,
So sorry to hear of your accident. In my experience (I broke my pelvis once, falling off a horse) it takes at least six weeks for bones to heal.
In the meantime, could you teach yourself to type with just one hand? I'm a touch typist myself, but I'm sure I could adapt if I had to. Lots of non-typists use only one hand anyway.
Wishing you a quick recovery,
Jenny

Annette van der Lei
Annette van der Lei  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DNS & typing with one hand only Feb 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your advice!

I will definitely try DNS and although I am very clumsy with left, my typing with left hand is getting a bit faster....;-)

Luckily I am blessed with the best clients in the world, though I felt pretty bad having to cancel a very interesting project Just bad luck I guess...

Stefan Blommaert
Stefan Blommaert
Brazil
Local time: 19:18
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
DNS Feb 8, 2012

Sorry to hear what happened to you, Annette.

I had a serious bout of RSI a couple of years ago and bought Dragon at the time. I was very apprehensive but am now an avid DNS user. My target language is the same as yours (Dutch) and once you have trained the soft, it works remarkably well. Making the odd correction is something you can easily do with one hand (YES; you do have to proof your texts thoroughly as there sometimes are quite strange sentences produced by DNS....try to read
... See more
Sorry to hear what happened to you, Annette.

I had a serious bout of RSI a couple of years ago and bought Dragon at the time. I was very apprehensive but am now an avid DNS user. My target language is the same as yours (Dutch) and once you have trained the soft, it works remarkably well. Making the odd correction is something you can easily do with one hand (YES; you do have to proof your texts thoroughly as there sometimes are quite strange sentences produced by DNS....try to read through your text "phonetically" and you will be able to pick up most of these instances).

Good luck!
Collapse

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
speech recognition Feb 8, 2012

If you have windows 7 there is an inbuilt speech recognition programme under accessories > ease of access

from my own personal experience it is just as good as DNS i spent hours training DNS and it still struggled with my accent

so unless you already have dns this may be a cheaper option

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:18
English to French
+ ...
Another option... Feb 8, 2012

You can also record your translation and give it to a typist. At least, you wouldn't have to turn down a nice project.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Google translate Feb 8, 2012

You could consider using it for a while, just in order to use part of the suggested text instead of typing it. If you have just 1 hand it may be easier to manipulate words with a mouse than type them from the scratch.
I think that the slower one types, the more s/he can benefit from text suggested by GT.

Of course if DNS works well in Dutch there would be no need for it.

BR
S

[Edited at 2012-02-08 21:28 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yeah, use Google Translate! Feb 8, 2012

Everyone's using it these days.

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 18:18
English
+ ...
Regional idiomatic language. Feb 9, 2012

Sorry about your wrist!

As a language pro you might be interested to learn that the English of your short note immediately identifies you as a non-Canadian.

In this land of snow and ice, one never says "ice skating", just "skating".

We get lots of skating injuries though. Those and hockey pucks to the face herald the onset of winter.

M

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 01:18
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sorry to hear Feb 9, 2012

and hope you heal soon.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Softly softly Feb 9, 2012

I once managed to work with one hand just a couple of hours after surgery on a double wrist fracture following a motorbike accident. Once the initial pain of the damaged member has worn off, you may be able to press the space bar with the broken hand and you'll find you gradually get faster as you type with your left.

Naturally Speaking sw is one option, but you do have to train it first, which could be more time-consuming than is necessary if you have a pressing deadline.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
CAVEAT Feb 9, 2012

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

So it must be OK, right? Having just spent an hour "revising" a Google-translated text that would have taken me about 20 minutes to translate from scratch, I don't really agree, as in the end it needs someone who knows what they are doing to use it properly.

However, as you say, Google could be very helpful in this case.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Was not being serious. Feb 9, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

... I don't really agree, as in the end it needs someone who knows what they are doing to use it properly.

Sorry, I thought that much was clear

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broke my wrist!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »