Off topic: Am I obsolete? No, quality writing still matters! says BBC News
Thread poster: Helen Portefaix

Helen Portefaix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:39
Member (2012)
English to French
Jul 11, 2012

Let's all breathe a sigh of relief : spelling, grammar, clarity and the overall quality of written language still matters today!

Over the past few months, I've been wondering whether the ability to produce well-written content, without spelling mistakes or typography/punctuation errors, still mattered at all today. I started to doubt that good writing skills could still make a difference in the writing and translation industries, if anybody still cared at all.

If like me you've been asking yourself "Am I obsolete?", check out this morning's BBC News article Spelling mistakes 'cost millions' in lost online sales, proving that good work will always be recognised and rewarded in the end.

Even though proper spelling and grammar are referred to as "old-fashioned skills".

Direct link Reply with quote

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:39
Russian to English
+ ...
Punctuation mistakes -- something for proofreaders Jul 11, 2012

I agree that translators should try not to make any punctuation mistakes, if possible, but this is really proofreaders who should be more concerned with punctuation mistakes. Some really great translators may still make a few punctuation mistakes, from time to time. Perfect punctuation does not make anyone a great translator.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Quality is on the back burner at the moment, or so it seems Jul 11, 2012

The BBC article may be a bit encouraging in the long run, but at the moment, quality is apparently still on the back burner for translation. Price and speed (and a CAT tool to reduce the price even further) still seem to be the chief concerns of those outsourcing translations. As fast as possible at the lowest price (aka 'your best price'). Quality is slowly starting to edge its way back though, imo. Sometimes the end clients are really unhappy. There seems to an increase in requests for proofreading (often with impossible deadlines, which appears to indicate panic situations).
But for the moment, being able to read, write and spell correctly are optional extras that are not really necessary for getting translation work. Alas....

[Edited at 2012-07-11 15:02 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Er.... Jul 11, 2012

Er.. that should be "spelling, grammar, clarity and the overall quality of written language still *matter* today.

Helen Portefaix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Oops Jul 11, 2012

English is my source language, not my target language (in a pathetic effort to justify my mistake, lol)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I obsolete? No, quality writing still matters! says BBC News

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search