Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Expatriates: for whom your heart beats at the Olympic Games?
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 12:14
Aug 1, 2012

When your native country plays against your country of residence, for whom does your heart beat?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
Hebrew to English
Depends who deserves the support Aug 1, 2012

I tend to support Israel in most things, despite the fact I don't live there.

However, it really does depend on whether they deserve such loyalty, if Israel had been guilty of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19074013

I'd probably think twice about supporting them.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
English to French
+ ...
Both! Aug 1, 2012

I cheer for both Canada and the Netherlands in general. But if athletes from both countries compete in the same final, I can't help cheering for my birth country first. And I do feel disappointed (or jealous, also possible) if a Dutch athlete wins a medal while a Canadian one doesn't, for example. It makes for interesting conversations with my Dutch husband. He would say: "Hey, did you hear, we won a medal!" And I would ask: "Who ... See more
I cheer for both Canada and the Netherlands in general. But if athletes from both countries compete in the same final, I can't help cheering for my birth country first. And I do feel disappointed (or jealous, also possible) if a Dutch athlete wins a medal while a Canadian one doesn't, for example. It makes for interesting conversations with my Dutch husband. He would say: "Hey, did you hear, we won a medal!" And I would ask: "Who is we?" And he would then tell me that xyz Dutch athlete won a medal, and also tell me matter-of-factly that there was also a Canadian, and she/he didn't do better than a xth place... Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear hear Aug 1, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I tend to support Israel in most things, despite the fact I don't live there.

However, it really does depend on whether they deserve such loyalty, if Israel had been guilty of this:

Quite. I rate this kind of cheating on a par with doping. Totally against the Olympic spirit.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 12:14
TOPIC STARTER
what you can do in this situation Aug 1, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Support them to lose...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually both Aug 1, 2012

In football (soccer), because I'm Scottish, I usually support Spain, for obvious reasons.

Otherwise I tend to switch to favour the underdog whoever is playing, even during a match or competition.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:14
Chinese to English
Pleased about China's success... Aug 1, 2012

But I can't bring myself to cheer for them much. The coverage here is too in-your-face. Mind you, I don't really cheer for the Brits, either. I just don't care enough.

About the badminton thing - seems to me like a badly-designed tournament. Why would you not expect gamesmanship? Of course people will do anything to win. This isn't the amateur era any more.

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 01:14
Japanese to English
This Olympics . . . Aug 1, 2012

I find myself rooting more for Japan, unless Japan and the United States are facing off directly. However, if the U.S. women's soccer team ends up facing Japan's, I think I'll be rooting for Japan. It's no fault of the U.S. team's, but all of those awful "Pearl Harbor" comments on Facebook after the Japanese women's team beat the U.S. in the World Cup made me really ashamed of my home country and angry.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
On BBC 24/7 Aug 1, 2012

Bin Tiede wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Support them to lose...

Those specific athletes yes. They don't deserve support. I think they've done China a great disservice.
But there's plenty of Chinese athletes in other events who surely do deserve it.

I'm not saying abandon supporting your country, just abandon supporting the athletes who cheat i.e. the kind of athletes you wouldn't want representing your country in the first place!

@Phil
It's on BBC One here pretty much all day, every day. It dominates the news. It's inescapable.

@Bin
The question of divided loyalties is far easier to answer when it comes to Eurovision - since the UK always produces songs/acts not worthy of support!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Olympics-free zone here Aug 1, 2012

I'm having trouble finding a TV channel or radio station that isn't all about the Olympics. Meanwhile London is a ghost town. Shops, taxis, restaurants etc are reporting a 60% drop in turnover. Many Londoners have left for the duration. And I'm leaving too, in 3 days' time.

Berna Bleeke (X)
Berna Bleeke (X)
English to Dutch
I don't know any of these people Aug 1, 2012

Why should I care who wins?

caroline truptil
caroline truptil  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to French
French living in ireland Aug 1, 2012

In the Olympics games I will support Ireland if they had a team...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Always with the underdog Aug 1, 2012

I like it when the big favorites lose. It happens too seldom though.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
My tiny Lithuania, of course :) Aug 1, 2012

Indeed, I am proud to the bottom of my heart of our very young swimmer Ruta, Olympic Gold medalist
Luckily, on most of occasions, I don't need to divide myself: Lithuania is for basket and Portugal is for footbal. Let no one say a word against Portugal when the Portuguese team is playing !!

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Escape the Olympics Aug 1, 2012

To Tom: This may interest you:

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/ideas/unplug-and-escape-the-olympics.html

Here in Brazil we also have Olympic fever. I usually cheer for Great Britain though.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expatriates: for whom your heart beats at the Olympic Games?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »