Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:06
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2012

Prayers and well-wishes go to all ProZians affected by Hurricane Sandy. In my area in Ontario, Canada, over 26, 000 lost power yesterday evening (I was fortunate enough to remain unaffected). Many in the United States have had to evacuate due to floods or remain without power, and the Caribbean was also hit hard earlier this week. All the best as you deal with this challenge.

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks, Suzanne, Oct 30, 2012

for this thread. Prayers for all living creatures facing the Nature's wrath.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:06
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Hurricane Sandy Oct 30, 2012

Heartfelt condolences and best wishes go to the East Coast Americans affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
French to English
+ ...
Thinking about everyone Oct 30, 2012

who may have been affected by this.

Having endured two particularly bad typhoons in Hong Kong and much more recently our Tempète Klaus, I guess you're all having a pretty tough time in the affected areas.

I hope your lives will return to normal as soon as possible.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:06
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Translation deadlines Oct 30, 2012

Translators have lost electricity and Internet connections. Today I was asked to finish off a project that a US-based translator couldn't complete or return on time.

For the first time ever, deadlines are not a priority. People's lives and safety are.

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Post Emma Nov 1, 2012

I didn't even think about how Hurricane Sandy is affecting the worklife of translators and interpreters until your post. The pictures of the devastation coming out of the U.S. are just terrible. There are people in both Canada and the U.S. who are still without electricity after the storm hit on Monday. Incredible.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:06
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I put in weekend work Nov 1, 2012

Suzanne Deliscar wrote:

I didn't even think about how Hurricane Sandy is affecting the worklife of translators and interpreters until your post. The pictures of the devastation coming out of the U.S. are just terrible. There are people in both Canada and the U.S. who are still without electricity after the storm hit on Monday. Incredible.

For one of my NYC clients, to make sure that they can deliver their things before the mess will kick in. They could send private emails from their cell phones - they still can't access their flooded office.

Looking at the photos of all this destruction makes my stomach turn.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:06
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Driving After a Storm Nov 1, 2012

Hope this is helpful.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/10/superstorm-sandy-driving-after-a-storm.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hurricane Sandy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »