Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 24, 2004

Since I have been in Proz I have noticed that a large percentage of colleagues use a pseudonym instead of their real name. Then some of these same people actually post CVs with their real name and contact information.

It would be interesting to know why some of you choose to use a pseudonym instead of your real name. Do any of you wish to comment? Just wondering...

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
At least select a pseudonym that gives a clue to the gender Aug 24, 2004

This aspect I have already touched upon elsewhere. I went to the extent of saying that there should be an obligatory field for the gender, say Mr. Miss. Mrs. Ms. Or the photo should give you an idea, such as in my case.

Things are not that bad with members posting in French threads. The use of the perfect involving the refexive verbs gives a clue whether the writer is a man or a woman. But in English no such luck.

Hope the site staff could do something about it.
... See more
This aspect I have already touched upon elsewhere. I went to the extent of saying that there should be an obligatory field for the gender, say Mr. Miss. Mrs. Ms. Or the photo should give you an idea, such as in my case.

Things are not that bad with members posting in French threads. The use of the perfect involving the refexive verbs gives a clue whether the writer is a man or a woman. But in English no such luck.

Hope the site staff could do something about it.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 06:39
English to French
+ ...
This is a public place Aug 24, 2004

Hi Henry
This (the internet) is a very public place. That's one reason
why you will never see my name or any personal details about me here. I think that's the main reason why a lot of people would rather use an alias, to protect their privacy.
Narasimhan,
you're going to laugh at this, but at least one person thought for months that I was a man. So much for logos/aliases pointing to a gender!
Sarahl

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:39
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No problem! Aug 24, 2004

If a person don't wanna make clear whether being a she or a he, you simply refer to it with 'it'.
When they should have enought of that some day, they come up with more details.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:39
Flemish to English
+ ...
Some reasons Aug 24, 2004

I wanted to use a name and a symbol which sounds well in every language. If you surf to a site of a big company, say DHL, how many time times do you see the logo/symbol of DHL.
The use of a logo on your stationary, invoices etc.. can be useful when your invoice is lingering somewhere in a stack of invoices. If I mention the one with the dolphin on, people suddenly seem to remember that they received that invoice.
The second reason is to avoid flame-wars.
The third reason is
... See more
I wanted to use a name and a symbol which sounds well in every language. If you surf to a site of a big company, say DHL, how many time times do you see the logo/symbol of DHL.
The use of a logo on your stationary, invoices etc.. can be useful when your invoice is lingering somewhere in a stack of invoices. If I mention the one with the dolphin on, people suddenly seem to remember that they received that invoice.
The third reason is that I work together with others. A name and a symbol comes handy to represent a group of people.

[Edited at 2004-08-24 13:29]
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
Gender Aug 24, 2004

For the same reasons as sarahl, among others, I have no wish to "go public" but I should like to ask Narasimhan Raghavan why he needs to know whether fellow prozs are male or female? As "Chris", I have been deliberately cagey about whether that is short for Christian, Christine, Christopher, Christiane, etc. simply because I don't think my gender is relevant to the answers I give. Imagine I am female and I answer a very technical question. There is every likelihood that some macho males might di... See more
For the same reasons as sarahl, among others, I have no wish to "go public" but I should like to ask Narasimhan Raghavan why he needs to know whether fellow prozs are male or female? As "Chris", I have been deliberately cagey about whether that is short for Christian, Christine, Christopher, Christiane, etc. simply because I don't think my gender is relevant to the answers I give. Imagine I am female and I answer a very technical question. There is every likelihood that some macho males might discount my reply on the lines of "she's a woman - how could she know anything about that?". Equally, if I am male and I answer a question about cooking or knitting patterns, my answer (however correct) could be ignored.
What matters is quality and gender is therefore, in my book, irrelevant to the issue at stake!
Not wishing to be unfriendly, just trying to avoid clouding the waters
Chris
Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reasons (or lack thereof) Aug 24, 2004

Ego-trippers do not necessarily need a name, not even an alias, but then there comes El Zorro, or was it Banderas? Whatever set of combined letters, symbols or pixels you use, that becomes your brand. Some use their real name to raise or increase customer confidence, that is: here's my rapidly disappearing hairdo, here's my weird family name et voilà, c'est moi, yours truly. Others don't see the need and are successful anyway, fair enough and glad to hear.
Different attitudes but one comm
... See more
Ego-trippers do not necessarily need a name, not even an alias, but then there comes El Zorro, or was it Banderas? Whatever set of combined letters, symbols or pixels you use, that becomes your brand. Some use their real name to raise or increase customer confidence, that is: here's my rapidly disappearing hairdo, here's my weird family name et voilà, c'est moi, yours truly. Others don't see the need and are successful anyway, fair enough and glad to hear.
Different attitudes but one common goal. So welcome everyone.
P
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gender????? Aug 24, 2004

I respect people wanting to keep their privacy and therefore if someone wants to use an alias it is fine although as Henry says they should make sure their real names are not somewhere else in their profile.
What I really don't understand is why someone would need to know the gender of a translator. I don't think it makes any difference at least for me since when I am in Kudoz, fora, etc I will find interesting (or not) the content of what they have to say and not the gender of the person.
... See more
I respect people wanting to keep their privacy and therefore if someone wants to use an alias it is fine although as Henry says they should make sure their real names are not somewhere else in their profile.
What I really don't understand is why someone would need to know the gender of a translator. I don't think it makes any difference at least for me since when I am in Kudoz, fora, etc I will find interesting (or not) the content of what they have to say and not the gender of the person. The only case in which this if important is in job postings but then again if I see a job offer for a voice-over and they need females definitely I will not be bidding for it.
I am one of those who think that the male/female opposition is something of the past.
Just a thought.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I like to know the gender Aug 24, 2004

I'm of those who like to know the gender of the other person. In real life a glance or the sound of the voice is enough to know whether it's a man or a woman. We can also have more information (young, old, tired, full of energy, and many other signs that we can interpret).

I'm not aware of treating in a different manner men or women, or accepting more or or less an answer depending on whom gave it. But I do feel closer to the person when I know whether it's him or her. The person i
... See more
I'm of those who like to know the gender of the other person. In real life a glance or the sound of the voice is enough to know whether it's a man or a woman. We can also have more information (young, old, tired, full of energy, and many other signs that we can interpret).

I'm not aware of treating in a different manner men or women, or accepting more or or less an answer depending on whom gave it. But I do feel closer to the person when I know whether it's him or her. The person is less unknown to me. It's difficult to explain.

I've been thinking of that for some time now, because it bothers me not to know, and now, when somebody is introduced to me, I don't hesitate to ask directly (like children do), "Are you a woman or a man?" or less directly "Is it a female or male noun?"

About logos and pseudonyms, I'm getting used to them (it was a bit hard) but some don't seem professional at all, I wonder how they manage to be selected for jobs.

Claudia

[Edited at 2004-08-24 13:49]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I'm a bitch! Aug 24, 2004

Sorry, I've just browsed in from this thread...

http://www.proz.com/topic/23989

... and given the choice, that's the one that matches my humour this afternoon!

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

What do you mean, Williamson? Aug 24, 2004

Williamson wrote:

[Edited at 2004-08-24 13:29]

I don't understand.

Nancy

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Don't like my real name distorted when referred to by non-Polish colleagues Aug 24, 2004

... plus I think it's easier in an international community like Proz.com to use a nickname for some of us. Like myself.

Of course, when bidding for a job or contacting anyone in Proz with an official purpose in mind, I sign my emails with my real name.

Is it a problem if one uses a pseudonym?

There are so many companies named after anything but their owner's name with a logo not even remotedly resembling his/ her face......
See more
... plus I think it's easier in an international community like Proz.com to use a nickname for some of us. Like myself.

Of course, when bidding for a job or contacting anyone in Proz with an official purpose in mind, I sign my emails with my real name.

Is it a problem if one uses a pseudonym?

There are so many companies named after anything but their owner's name with a logo not even remotedly resembling his/ her face... And such companies still can do well.

Referring to what was mentioned about the gender of the translator - to me it never mattered within Proz.com. Sure thing it would matter irl

Regards,
Agnieszka Guzewicz,
the Easily Pronounceable

[Edited at 2004-08-24 13:44]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Dear Sir Aug 24, 2004

sarahl wrote:

you\'re going to laugh at this, but at least one person thought for months that I was a man.
Sarahl

I sometimes receive mail addressed to me: Dear Sir...

I expect that on the phone (think Grace Under Fire) but here??

N.

PS The first time I posted this message it went into never-never land. It's because I forgot to fill in the subject line!!!
That might answer a few questions regarding unvetted, but also unavailable, posts.;-)

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
War of Words Aug 24, 2004

@Nancy Lynn:
Nowadays forums translator sites are heavily moderated.
When this site and other sites started, mods were scarce.
There used to be flame-wars,i.e. wars of words about issues such as who can translate, the mother-tongue issue, the frequent use of the substantive "unprofessional", "quack",... etc.
In the end, everybody is trying to earn a living and it is up to the end customer to be the final judge of the quality of the delivered job.

[Edited
... See more
@Nancy Lynn:
There used to be flame-wars,i.e. wars of words about issues such as who can translate, the mother-tongue issue, the frequent use of the substantive "unprofessional", "quack",... etc.
In the end, everybody is trying to earn a living and it is up to the end customer to be the final judge of the quality of the delivered job.

[Edited at 2004-08-24 15:26]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Strange Aug 24, 2004

There seems to be some paradox in what you say.
The general idea that I understand is that it's better now in spite of the adjective "heavily"?

I wonder what has made things change. I don't think that it's the presence of moderators but the creation of rules that include mutual respect. Of course, moderators' role is to enforce those rules, but when they are respected they don't have to intervene (in their moderator role).

As a moderator I've been thinking a lot
... See more
There seems to be some paradox in what you say.
The general idea that I understand is that it's better now in spite of the adjective "heavily"?

I wonder what has made things change. I don't think that it's the presence of moderators but the creation of rules that include mutual respect. Of course, moderators' role is to enforce those rules, but when they are respected they don't have to intervene (in their moderator role).

As a moderator I've been thinking a lot about the rules that I have to enforce, and I might have changed my opinions about some topics. Recently I was wondering whether ProZ.com hadn't found the solution to avoid conflicts between countries and cultures.

Claudia

Williamson wrote:
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why a Pseudonym?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »