Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 16, 2013

I will spend two weeks in France this spring and would like to buy there a sim-card for 3G-Internet, maybe 500 GB prepaid.
How would this be called in French? In Spain last year at least it was impossible to find a shop with English speaking personnel, and all I got was normal phone cards that stopped working the next day.
Any chance a shop would be open on Sundays on the airport? Probably not.

Thanks for advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

Hin und Wieder  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:01
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
my idea Feb 16, 2013

www.lefrenchmobile.com

I'll be in France in May and I want to buy something simular. Just google french data sim and start surfing.
The campground we are going has free wifi....they say.

Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
clé prête à surfer Feb 17, 2013

This is what it's called in France.

SFR sells them. What city are you going to? I can try to find an address for you.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Angelique Feb 17, 2013

Angelique Blommaert wrote:

This is what it's called in France.

SFR sells them. What city are you going to? I can try to find an address for you.

It will be Nice. I guess they have offices on many streets.

Andrea Teltemann  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Clé 3 G von Orange Feb 17, 2013

Der Surfstick Clé 3 G von Orange kostet ca. 50 € plus "recharge", funktioniert aber nur mit einem frz. Telefon/Handy, um ihn aufzuladen.

Am besten ist es wohl, im Hotel oder anderswo ein freies Wifi zu benutzen.

Manche deutschen Mobilfunkanbieter bieten auch Internetzugang vom Ausland aus an, also für einen begrenzten Zeitraum zu einem bestimmten Preis. (z.B. Telekom (Vertragskarte), wo das Angebot als "Pass" bezeichnet wird, z.B. week-pass 14,95 € Flatrate). Man kann dann auch das Smartphone als Router für ein Laptop benutzen.

----

Surfstick Clé 3 G by Orange costs about 50 €, but can be charged only via a French telephone or mobile.

Best would be to use a free Wifi at hotel or elsewhere.

Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Airport Feb 17, 2013

Couldn´t find a SFR selling point at the airport, but there should be around 6 or more in Nice.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far Feb 18, 2013

Two years ago in Britain I paid 10 GBP for 500 GB. Same price at all providers. Hopefully they are not much more greedy in France.
Regards
Heinrich

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Final words Apr 19, 2013

Now we returned from France. Very good holiday.
It seemed those French providers only offer prepaid cards for a defined time, 1, 3 days, a week or so. Not for an amount of data, as I would have wished. The prices are too high.
So I did not take any prepaid, and fortunately so, since my phone was stolen out of my pocket on the second day of our stay in Nice, on the bus.
But we could manage with our mini-laptop and using hotels with free WiFi. I enjoyed being without a phone for a while.

One mystery prevailed. Everywhere there is goat-cheese (chèvre) on offer, but no goat meat. Lamb dishes are quite common, but nowhere do they sell lamb cheese. Even on the market in Avignon only Spanish Manchego was on sale. So where does all the lamb milk go and all the goat meat? When I asked the girl at the tourist office in Aix, she laughed unbelievingly, sure nobody would eat goat!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prepaid data in France

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search