Off topic: Is solitaire a favourite pastime/work avoidance strategy in your country?
Thread poster: Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
French to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2013

I thought I would ask this here as we obviously have people from a variety of countries who must take five minute breaks from time to time

With my programmer's hat on, I've written some solitaire apps for iPad which, with my translator' hat on, I am now starting to localise into different languages and am looking at which languages to prioritise.

So... in your particular neck of the woods, do you, or do y
... See more
I thought I would ask this here as we obviously have people from a variety of countries who must take five minute breaks from time to time

With my programmer's hat on, I've written some solitaire apps for iPad which, with my translator' hat on, I am now starting to localise into different languages and am looking at which languages to prioritise.

So... in your particular neck of the woods, do you, or do you think people generally, play solitaire games? Do people play any particular game (e.g. Free Cell, Klondike...)?

Oh, and in case anyone is interested and has an iPad, I will shamelessly plug the apps: "Klondike Solitaire Collection" is out in English and Spanish at the moment (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/klondike-solitaire-collection/id726606827?mt=8) and "Pyramid 13 Solitaire Free" is currently out in English but more languages are on the way. Both apps are free and have a link to a premium app ("Solitaire Whizz") for more die-hard fans.
Collapse

Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
. Oct 31, 2013

I'm more of a Freecell man myself. I like playing Hearts in real life, but on the computer I can work out how the other players are going to play too accurately, so it's not so much of a challenge. I used to waste so much time playing those games though that I ended up deleting them all from my old computer just so I could actually get some work done.

[Edited at 2013-10-31 20:22 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only Freecell since ages Nov 1, 2013

My wife wonders why I stick to Freecell, when there are so many alternatives in SolSuite. But I just don't like the others. What i'm always wondering is are all games solvable or are there combination that just won't solve. I encountered a few games that I got tired to try.
But I think if you develop an app it's enough to have the English version. Good luck!

Years ago I asked here what version of Solitaire translators play, and
... See more
My wife wonders why I stick to Freecell, when there are so many alternatives in SolSuite. But I just don't like the others. What i'm always wondering is are all games solvable or are there combination that just won't solve. I encountered a few games that I got tired to try.
But I think if you develop an app it's enough to have the English version. Good luck!

Years ago I asked here what version of Solitaire translators play, and almost all named Freecell.
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/59620-what_is_your_favourite_solitaire_version.html
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 3, 2013

Thanks -- it's interesting that Free Cell is a popular choice, as it isn't a "traditional" card game but was actually invented specifically to be played on computer. For a screenshot of how it looked in the original 1978 see here-- it's interesting to see the contrast... See more
Thanks -- it's interesting that Free Cell is a popular choice, as it isn't a "traditional" card game but was actually invented specifically to be played on computer. For a screenshot of how it looked in the original 1978 see here-- it's interesting to see the contrast http://www.solitairewhizz.com/how-to-play/freecell.shtmlCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is solitaire a favourite pastime/work avoidance strategy in your country?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »