Off topic: What is the meaning of these two names
Thread poster: Lucinda
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2004

I am trying to find the meaning of two (I believe boys') names and what country they are from:

1. Navareno
2. Giani

Someone told me that they were Somalian. If yes, could you please tell me what they mean. If no, do you know what country they are from and what they mean.

Thank you so much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
an educated guess Nov 16, 2004

Giani: most probably "Gianni": this a very common name in Italy, a standard nickname for "Giovanni" (equivalent of "John")

Navareno: this looks very much like "Navarreno": belonging to or originating from the Navarra province in Northern Spain (around Pamplona)

Rosalind Lobo  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
French to English
yes, but... (just one small thing) Nov 16, 2004

Csaba Ban wrote:

Giani: most probably "Gianni": this a very common name in Italy, a standard nickname for "Giovanni" (equivalent of "John")

Navareno: this looks very much like "Navarreno": belonging to or originating from the Navarra province in Northern Spain (around Pamplona)

I agree with the above, but suggest that "Gianni" would be the equivalent of "Johnny" since it is a nickname form.

Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What 's the meaning of these two names Nov 16, 2004

Navareno: this looks very much like "Navarreno": belonging to or originating from the Navarra province in Northern Spain (around Pamplona)[/quote]

Hi

I think it has nothing to do with Navarra since in Spanish someone from Navarra is called a "Navarro".

Regards,

Bernadette

Maria Paola Segurini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Navarreno or Nazzareno? Nov 16, 2004

Hi!
As the first one sounds Italian, couldn't the second name be a mispelling of the Italian Nazzareno (meaning from Nazareth)? It's not very common nowadays but it's a traditional name.
Best
paola

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Parts of Somalia have been an Italian colony Nov 16, 2004

British Somaliland and the Italian Somalia merged in 1960.

It makes sense that Italien names are still wide spread there.

They might be misspelled or crippled, but you will find the names of the former colonial masters all over Africa.

regards

Siegfried

Lina Ntaoukaki
Local time: 09:17
English to Greek
+ ...
GIANNI & NAVARINO Nov 17, 2004

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

I am trying to find the meaning of two (I believe boys') names and what country they are from:

1. Navareno
2. Giani

Someone told me that they were Somalian. If yes, could you please tell me what they mean. If no, do you know what country they are from and what they mean.

Thank you so much!

Hi Lucinda,

We also have the name GIANNI (John in English) here in Greece. It is a common name.
And as far as NAVARINO is concerned, there is a place here in Greece called after this name. It is in Peloponiso, opposite Italy.

I hope that helped you a little

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, everyone! Nov 17, 2004

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with these two names.

Lucinda

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:17
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Hello Lucinda - do you know whether it's Giani with a 'g' as in 'jet' or 'gate' ? Nov 17, 2004

and are the spellings definite?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the meaning of these two names

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search