https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/26796-new_credit_card_scam_in_the_uk_so_far_be_warned.html

Off topic: new credit card scam (in the UK, so far...) be warned!
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 19, 2004

I've just got this from a friend...

Just been warned about this, and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas.

Please pass on to all people on your mailing list. I got this from a contact in the Halifax Visa team so it is happening!!

Visa and MasterCard Scam. A friend was called on the telephone this week from 'VISA' and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

It worked like this: Person calling says, 'this is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Company a device/any expensive item, for £497.99 from a marketing company based in (any town?)

When you say 'No'. The caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your Account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 To £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to they give you your address), is that correct?'
You say, 'Yes'. The caller continues . 'I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control number. They then give you a 6-digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?
Caller then says he 'needs to verify you are in possession of your card' (this is where the scam takes place as up until now they have requested nothing!). They then ask you to turn your card over.
There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234 (or whatever, as they have your number anyway).
The next 3 are the security numbers that verify that you are in possession of the card' (these are the numbers they are really after as these are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card). 'Read me the 3 numbers.' When you do he says 'That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?

Don't hesitate to call back if you do.'
You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we telephoned back within
20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short.
We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scam wants is the 3-digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep changing every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.

THE REAL VISA/MASTERCARD DEPARTMENT REINFORCED THE POINT THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARD SINCE THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!.

What makes this even more remarkable is that on Thursday a friend of mine got a call from 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word for word
repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are taking
several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers so please pass this on to your friends...............

Sonya Mountford-Jones
Sonya Mountford-Jones  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for the warning Nov 19, 2004

Hi Graciela,

Thanks for the warning, is it okay if I copy this text and post it to other groups I belong to?

Sonya Mountford
www.interlingual-translation-services.com

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
English
Just a note... Nov 19, 2004

When my VISA got abused a few years ago, I didn't find out until it was refused while trying to pay for the weekly grocery shopping. Having been deeply embarrassed in front of a long queue, I rang VISA as soon as I got home and demanded why I wasnt notified that the card had been stopped before hand. Their reply was "we have to wait for the card owner to call us for security reasons".

I would conclude that this is not a new scam, but thanks for the warning.

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
go on please!! Nov 19, 2004

Sonya Mountford wrote:
Thanks for the warning, is it okay if I copy this text and post it to other groups I belong to?

The more people are aware the better!!
Cheers,
Grace.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 07:54
French to English
+ ...
Have a look at this link Nov 19, 2004

I posted this on another forum and someone came back with this link http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

Lesley

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting indeed Nov 20, 2004

Lesley Clayton wrote:
I posted this on another forum and someone came back with this link http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp
Lesley

It goes to prove that there's nothing new under the sun...

Cheers for that Lesley!

Grace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new credit card scam (in the UK, so far...) be warned!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »