Local time: 13:37
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Exercising Dec 13, 2004

Hi Troy,
Nice to see you again

It seems that everything has already been said above by our colleagues. I had the same problem a few years ago; until in January of 2003 I had to do some physical therapy about my back pain. My doc told me that I must do a lot of exercises now. This is so true: if I do not do exercises for a day (several times a day) I am not able to work at all. You might find the following sites
... See more
Hi Troy,
Nice to see you again

It seems that everything has already been said above by our colleagues. I had the same problem a few years ago; until in January of 2003 I had to do some physical therapy about my back pain. My doc told me that I must do a lot of exercises now. This is so true: if I do not do exercises for a day (several times a day) I am not able to work at all. You might find the following sites useful:

http://www.pe2000.com/anx-relax.htm
http://www.rivermaya.com/spine.html

What I have learnt from my experiences with my back pain is that you have to take it seriously. Just last month I tried to ignore my back pain by not taking breaks to exercise, since I had an extremely tight deadline for a huge project. Well, after that particular project, I had to take several days off work (even though I still had to work on other projects), since I could not work anymore. It's healthier to take short breaks often, then a long break rarely

Also, check the following articles about some (awful I would say) new findings on the relationship between the chronic back pain and the thinking parts of the brain

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041123115119.htm

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/97/104181.htm?action=related_link

http://www.northwestern.edu/univ-relations/media_relations/releases/2004/11/chronic.html

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/abstract/24/46/10410

p.s. I am not trying to scare you or anyone else here. I just think it is good to know things like this, so we can take better preventive care.

Monika

[Edited at 2004-12-13 19:12]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
Polish to English
+ ...
Bring mouse closer to your body Dec 13, 2004

This is not an ideal solution, but it certainly helps. Your mouse should be located so that your upper arm and forearm make a right angle with your upper arm going straight down, preferably, when using it.
Anyway, it should be much closer to your body than where it usually sits.
Anyway, as someone noted, when I use Word, I hardly use the mouse at all. It's all arrows and ctrl+whatevers.
But when I start surfing - that's when I start feeling my back.

HTH
Pawel
... See more
This is not an ideal solution, but it certainly helps. Your mouse should be located so that your upper arm and forearm make a right angle with your upper arm going straight down, preferably, when using it.
Anyway, it should be much closer to your body than where it usually sits.
Anyway, as someone noted, when I use Word, I hardly use the mouse at all. It's all arrows and ctrl+whatevers.
But when I start surfing - that's when I start feeling my back.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2004-12-13 21:15]
Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:37
French to English
keyboard tray; massage Dec 13, 2004

Johanna Holmberg wrote:
cordless keyboard
keyboard on my lap (which I think is the ideal position)

Hi,

I like this suggestion.

A keyboard tray (with room for the mouse) is also great for getting the keyboard to a good height so your forearms are roughly horizontal. I got one that I could screw on to the bottom of my desk/table.

Massage therapy helps too.

Other things I find help have also been mentioned (MS Natural Keyboard, dictating with Dragon Naturally Speaking, good posture, ergononic chair, yoga).

Good luck,
Bruce

Troy Fowler
Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips Dec 14, 2004

Thanks to everyone for the links and great tips.
(Hi Monica!)

Essentially, it appears like the simple recipe is to have a balanced lifestyle that includes plenty of rest and various types of excercise (this seems to be a panacea for all sorts of ills, doesn't it). I run frequently, but have shunned any serious attempts at Yoga, regular stretching, sit ups, etc.

I share a school laboratory with 20+ Japanese students, so Yoga and stretching might raise some eyebrow
... See more
Thanks to everyone for the links and great tips.
(Hi Monica!)

Essentially, it appears like the simple recipe is to have a balanced lifestyle that includes plenty of rest and various types of excercise (this seems to be a panacea for all sorts of ills, doesn't it). I run frequently, but have shunned any serious attempts at Yoga, regular stretching, sit ups, etc.

I share a school laboratory with 20+ Japanese students, so Yoga and stretching might raise some eyebrows (well, they DO already think I'm wierd...)

I guess that leaves being creative in my pigeon-hole apartment!

Troy
Collapse

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
Local time: 21:37
German to Polish
+ ...
Agree with all of the above Dec 14, 2004

... apart from trying to move the mouse to the left - simply because I haven't tried it yet.

One more thing I'd like o add is: my back pain is mostly gone now I have an orthopaedic bed mattress - works really well for me. My left arm used to go numb every 3-4 hours of typing. My lower back was killing me most of the time.

The new mattress (I've had it for 2 years) seems to have helped a lot. Try one!

Certainly, your pain might have a more serious rea
... See more
... apart from trying to move the mouse to the left - simply because I haven't tried it yet.

One more thing I'd like o add is: my back pain is mostly gone now I have an orthopaedic bed mattress - works really well for me. My left arm used to go numb every 3-4 hours of typing. My lower back was killing me most of the time.

The new mattress (I've had it for 2 years) seems to have helped a lot. Try one!

Certainly, your pain might have a more serious reason. So, as it was mentioned before in this forum, try to seek professional help.

HTH
Good luck and keep us informed on your progress towards pain free work.

Cherrio
Agnieszka
Collapse

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
exercises for people who work on computers Dec 14, 2004

http://www.computerfit.com/ch2part2.html

I posted this some time ago on the forums.

I had a similar shoulder problem - found help through acupuncture. Yoga works too but slowly, over time.

Re: the other people who think you are wierd???

they are probably having aches and pains too and may even welcome the invitation to do it with you... See more

I had a similar shoulder problem - found help through acupuncture. Yoga works too but slowly, over time.

Re: the other people who think you are wierd???

they are probably having aches and pains too and may even welcome the invitation to do it with you
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Rita Dec 14, 2004

Rita Heller wrote:

I remember this website Rita. It is very helpful indeed. The exercise that I liked the most was the smile break. It works very well. I already bookmarked the website this time. Thanks again.

Monika

[Edited at 2004-12-14 16:18]

Antonio Ferreira
Antonio Ferreira
Brazil
Local time: 16:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Be careful Dec 14, 2004

I agree that besides the problem of your working desk and keyboard, there´s definately the problem with you playing the bass guitar.
I used to play the bass for some time and had real problems with my right hand since I tried to `imitate´Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. that didn´t work and ended up getting a very bad right arm muscle problem.
Yoga would do you good as well as some alternative medicine like acumpuncture.
Good luck,
Antonio Ferreira (Brazil)

Troy Fowler
Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, that could be it Dec 16, 2004

Antonio said:
"I agree that besides the problem of your working desk and keyboard, there´s definately the problem with you playing the bass guitar."

Yeah, playing music does put a strain on my hands and wrists, but it seems the shoulder/back pain is limited to typing and desk work.

I'll work on my singing to have something to fall back on!

[Edited at 2004-12-16 06:40]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back pain when typing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »