José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ceci... Dec 31, 2004

I am happy for you!

I will drop them another thank you note.

JL

Parrot wrote:

The Rotary Club of Colombo (through the food donation link) just sent me word that my friend is okay. Although she was not at home when they called, they were able to get in touch with her residence. They even sent me her new phone number.

Do you have any idea of the "relief" this sort of news brings? Human beings and things are working! (No, I'm not trying to be funny, but as Selçuk says, when you call, "is there anyone there?" it's heartening to get a response...)

E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BRAVO Dec 31, 2004

I like your position very much: To make a quick donation to oficial organizations first and then contribute to a Proz donation to express our condolences! Good idea, we all should decide to solidarize and unit efforts as a unique community.

Yongmei Liu wrote:

I would gladly make another if Proz.com set up its own fund to express our condolences and support as a unique community.

E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another idea Dec 31, 2004

If we are really able to open an own fund (with all the legal aspects), we could not only collect between us Prozians, but also perhaps (if it is legally possible, I ignore this) collect with third parties.
For example at the end of every invoice we could mention that we would appreciate it very much to get support for long-term help in this tragedy by OUR CLIENTS and inform them over our fund or other donation possibilities. Expressing by the way, that we are active on international leve
... See more
If we are really able to open an own fund (with all the legal aspects), we could not only collect between us Prozians, but also perhaps (if it is legally possible, I ignore this) collect with third parties.
For example at the end of every invoice we could mention that we would appreciate it very much to get support for long-term help in this tragedy by OUR CLIENTS and inform them over our fund or other donation possibilities. Expressing by the way, that we are active on international level.

My English is not the best to provide the right sentences now, I only want to express the future possibilities.

This night at 00.00, I will take a minute of silence and wish everybody who was concerend directly or indirectly by this tragedy that he/she gets enough force to master the new situation.

PS: Thanks to all for the informations and comments!
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:02
SITE FOUNDER
Me, too Dec 31, 2004

E.LA wrote:

This night at 00.00, I will take a minute of silence and wish everybody who was concerend directly or indirectly by this tragedy that he/she gets enough force to master the new situation.

I will also.

Robert Kleemaier
Robert Kleemaier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:02
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
Another option for donating... Dec 31, 2004

Dear all,

Like all of you, Nicole & I are shocked by what has happened and the scale of it all. We have already made our donation via Compassion Canada, the Canadian branch of Compassion
... See more
Dear all,

Like all of you, Nicole & I are shocked by what has happened and the scale of it all. We have already made our donation via Compassion Canada, the Canadian branch of Compassion International. The links are http://www.compassion.ca/aboutcompassion/news.asp?NewsID=news29Dec04 and https://www.compassion.com/contribution/giving/tsunamidisasterrelief.htm, respectively.

Some of you might object to the fact that it is a Christian organization and/or it is not represented in all the countries affected; we can live with that. What's more, if you choose to make a donation via another bona fide organization, please do so. BUT we know for a fact that ALL the funds donated via this organization go directly to the children who are their target group.

For those whose heart goes out first and foremost to the children in these countries, I thought it would be prudent to make this contribution to this thread.

Kind regards,
Robert Kleemaier
Collapse

Silvia Borges
Silvia Borges
United States
Local time: 15:02
JL, your eagerness to help incite others to do the same Dec 31, 2004

Thank you JL, for your precise information and link.
It is good to know that, not only we are helping, but we are channeling such help through trustworthy organizations.
I know that no matter how small we may feel our contribution is, all will be put to good use and in the hands of those that need it the most.

Silvia

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

I have an specific list with medications and supplies which are needed ASAP. If you want a copy, contact me and I will forward it to you.

]

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
A proposal in emergency and at middle term Dec 31, 2004

This idea came to my mind last night, while I couldn't sleep because of all these images coming back to my mind.
While I'm sure that a Charity ProZ Fund would be a nice idea, but is technically and legally difficult to implement right now, maybe there's something that every of us can do, at our small scale, and I've decided to do it, and I think that every of you can adapt this idea according to his/her country tax/commercial law :
i.e. on each invoice for works done from december 2
... See more
This idea came to my mind last night, while I couldn't sleep because of all these images coming back to my mind.
While I'm sure that a Charity ProZ Fund would be a nice idea, but is technically and legally difficult to implement right now, maybe there's something that every of us can do, at our small scale, and I've decided to do it, and I think that every of you can adapt this idea according to his/her country tax/commercial law :
i.e. on each invoice for works done from december 26th untill a date to determine at your own discretion(in my case, I'd like to do it through at least the first quarter of 2005), we can indicate that such percent total amount due to us by clients (following the European tax law, it can be from 1 % up to 5% of the annual turnover in many countries) will be, after payment, sent to such or such NGO or GO. Personnally, I've chosen the Direction of Humanitary Aid (DAH) managed by the French Ministry of External affairs, in order to avoid problems with the Tax Office ; furthermore, every donation to this association must be sent or brought directly to the Tax Office General Accountant (Trésorerie Générale), so no contestation is possible. The problem is that today, Dec. 31st, every office was closed in my little province, and I still don't know what is the exact percentage that I'm allowed to use this way.*
By this way, I think that we can send directly money to the associations and, furthermore, as the law will oblige us to explain it on each invoice, it may boost direct and spontaneous donations from our clients to the association we have chosen and the URL of which will be, necessarily and mandatorily, printed on every invoice.
Sorry for my bad English, and I'm aware that it takes me too much words to express a very simple idea in a language which is not mine, but I think it could be a clue for those who want to help.
* Note : It's clear that we want to help, but I think that we don't want to be ourselves in the "sheet" at the end of the year because we should have done something illegal and be over-taxed for that. Because, in such a case, we coulodn't help anymore, and could become the ones needing help to survive.
Hope you will all understand the content of this message.
Catherine
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Send money, not products/material/things Dec 31, 2004

[quote]José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

I have an specific list with medications and supplies which are needed ASAP. If you want a copy, contact me and I will forward it to you.

Dear JL and all,

I do know that these countries do need all these things : medicines, toilets, pumps, food, clothes, blankets, etc. but, please be all aware that we must not send these things to NGOs, we must send MONEY, and ONLY money. Do you realize how much work, time and money it does cost to an NGO to receive, stock, send and distribute (which means to rent a cargo plane or ship)all these things ? On French TVs and radios, since yesterday all these NGOs are repeating messages imploring donators to stop sending "material" help instead of the "virtual" one, much more easy to manage and assign to the actual needs, = money
Catherine

TJC Global Ltd
TJC Global Ltd
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:02
Member (2004)
"Asian Disaster : HOW TO HELP" Dec 31, 2004

** Message **
You can donate to all the campaigns via their websites.

** Asian disaster: How to help **
How you can help survivors of Sunday's Indian Ocean earthquake disaster.
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/world/south_asia/4131881.stm >

** BBC Daily E-mail **
Choose the news and sport headlines you want - when
... See more
** Message **
You can donate to all the campaigns via their websites.

** Asian disaster: How to help **
How you can help survivors of Sunday's Indian Ocean earthquake disaster.
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/world/south_asia/4131881.stm >

** BBC Daily E-mail **
Choose the news and sport headlines you want - when you want them, all in one daily e-mail < http://www.bbc.co.uk/dailyemail/ >

If I had thought of the prozcom having a fund organisation, I would have donated to you first, but I have already donated to two organisations; World Food Organisation and Oxfam soon after the news. One of my British friends' daughter was almost drowned and is distraught despite her injuries as her friends are still missing; my immunologist friend has flown to Sri Lanka and actively helping people directly. What I could do was minimal but possibly we could include an agenda at a next forum on some form of "prozcom fund" to immediately respond to a global disaster of this kind? Even if we do not form an organisation officially straight away, it is worth considering it. I will be happy to contribute and participate to it.

[Edited at 2004-12-31 22:52]

[Edited at 2004-12-31 22:52]
Collapse

jarry (X)
jarry (X)  Identity Verified
South Africa
Dutch to English
+ ...
I have made a donation to Giro 555 yesterday Jan 1, 2005

anjoboira wrote:

Would it be a good idea to use this thread, or to open a thread, to list organisations that we can donate money to?

On one of the links Parrot provided, there is a list with NGO's that are working in the disaster area:

www.alertnet.org/thefacts/reliefresources/110409431212.htm

India:
Relief for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
www.seedsindia.org
http://www.seedsindia.org/tsunamiupdate.pdf

SEEDS' counterpart in the USA:
www.geohaz.org
USA
United methodist Committee on relief
http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/emergency/southasia.stm

Spain:
902 22 22 92, or www.cruzroja.es
Acción contra el Hambre: http://www.accioncontraelhambre.org/ach.php?url=donativo
Tel. 902 10 08 82
This organization works directly in Sri Lanka

The Netherlands:
http://www.giro555.nl/index.asp

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
100% agree! Jan 1, 2005

Yongmei Liu wrote:

I would gladly make another if Proz.com set up its own fund to express our condolences and support as a unique community.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ich bin mit Ihnen einverstanden! Jan 1, 2005

[quote]E.LA wrote:

I like your position very much: To make a quick donation to oficial organizations first and then contribute to a Proz donation to express our condolences! Good idea, we all should decide to solidarize and unit efforts as a unique community.

Patricia Baldwin
Patricia Baldwin
United States
Local time: 12:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bravo Jose Luis and Henry!!! Jan 1, 2005

Great links JL..if you send contributions via Casa Piano they charge 10 dollars for any check sent..I chose the Red Cross.
My Church Family is meeting tomorrow for a collection and worship service for the Tsunami victims especially children.

Also,
Médicos sin Fronteras is a good place to send contributions to...

http://www.msf.es/
... See more
Great links JL..if you send contributions via Casa Piano they charge 10 dollars for any check sent..I chose the Red Cross.
My Church Family is meeting tomorrow for a collection and worship service for the Tsunami victims especially children.

Also,
Médicos sin Fronteras is a good place to send contributions to...

http://www.msf.es/ - 2k

http://www.msf.org

and in Argentina:

http://www.redsolidaria.org.ar

Greetings from Buenos Aires to all my Prozian friends...a great pleasure to belong to this wonderful community.

And a prayer for the victims,

Patricia
Collapse

Francis Gregson
Francis Gregson  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Tidal wave Jan 1, 2005

Donate money, if you can, to a trustworthy organisation, don't get involved in idealistic debates.

I thought the suggestion about offering proz.com members' linguistic skills extremely relevant and useful, both for interpreting and translation (but who is going to organise this? - it's all well and good coming with these ideas, it needs someone to coordinate).

So, who can speak Tamil, Hindu, Thai, Indonesian etc. and is willing to offer their services?

Mus
... See more
Donate money, if you can, to a trustworthy organisation, don't get involved in idealistic debates.

I thought the suggestion about offering proz.com members' linguistic skills extremely relevant and useful, both for interpreting and translation (but who is going to organise this? - it's all well and good coming with these ideas, it needs someone to coordinate).

So, who can speak Tamil, Hindu, Thai, Indonesian etc. and is willing to offer their services?

Must be worth their weight in gold.

[Edited at 2005-01-01 02:34]
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language services... Jan 1, 2005

The Rotary Club in Colombo, Sri Lanka, will let me know how we can help with our language skills. The messages that I exchanged with the RC were also sent to India, Indonesia, and Thailand so the hard hit countries are somehow covered. As soon as they see how we can help, I will pass on the news here.

I offered translations of manuals or instructions (i.e. equipment that is donated) or volunteer interpreters who will help locals to get through to foreign volunters and viceversa.... See more
The Rotary Club in Colombo, Sri Lanka, will let me know how we can help with our language skills. The messages that I exchanged with the RC were also sent to India, Indonesia, and Thailand so the hard hit countries are somehow covered. As soon as they see how we can help, I will pass on the news here.

I offered translations of manuals or instructions (i.e. equipment that is donated) or volunteer interpreters who will help locals to get through to foreign volunters and viceversa.

If other ProZians know other ways in which our language assets may be put to work, please share it here so that we all can contribute.

Take good care and have a safe 2005.

JL

[...]
I shall inform the Club of your Translator Services and contact you shortly re. that.
[...]
Thank you,

Yours in Rotary

Gehan de Alwis
Rotary Club of Colomb Regency
Sri Lanka

[Edited at 2005-01-01 04:42]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offering help for tsunami victims as ProZians

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »