https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/27981-before_its_too_late_how_hangovers_work.html

Off topic: Before it's too late (How Hangovers Work)
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 07:19
English to Russian
Dec 31, 2004

How Hangovers Work

New Year's Eve is one of the most popular times for people to
consume alcohol -- and over-consumption is usually about a drink
away. There's some complicated chemistry going on in the body
when someone drinks too much, and "undoing" the damage is a
science unto itself. Find out what's actually causing the
"hangover" and how you can help
... See more
How Hangovers Work

New Year's Eve is one of the most popular times for people to
consume alcohol -- and over-consumption is usually about a drink
away. There's some complicated chemistry going on in the body
when someone drinks too much, and "undoing" the damage is a
science unto itself. Find out what's actually causing the
"hangover" and how you can help your body recover.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover.htm

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-31 16:16]
Collapse

Helmet80
Helmet80
Local time: 05:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fatty foods DO work to cure a hangover (scientific fact) Dec 31, 2004

This is when it's useful to know a biochemist when at Uni:

The fats in not-particularly-healthy foods normally react with the alcohol still in the stomach, producung triglycerides (sugars) acceptable to the body.

I took his word for it anyway - and it did work!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
One Solution Dec 31, 2004

One solution I have found is to drink Chilean wine. You can drink as much as you want and not get a hangover. That's one of the benefits they don't advertise, but it's true.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:19
German to English
Before it's too late (How Hangovers Work) Dec 31, 2004

Thanks for the heads-up, Aleksandr. Let this be a reminder for translators who have forgotten what a hangover can do to them and their business:

Hangover Ratings

* 1-star hangover
No pain. No real feeling of illness. You sleep in your own bed and when you wake up, there are no traffic cones in there with you.
You are still able to function relatively well on the energy stored up from all those vodka and Red Bulls. However, you can drink 10 bottles of w
... See more
Thanks for the heads-up, Aleksandr. Let this be a reminder for translators who have forgotten what a hangover can do to them and their business:

Hangover Ratings

* 1-star hangover
No pain. No real feeling of illness. You sleep in your own bed and when you wake up, there are no traffic cones in there with you.
You are still able to function relatively well on the energy stored up from all those vodka and Red Bulls. However, you can drink 10 bottles of water and still feel as parched as the Sahara.
Even vegetarians crave a cheeseburger and a basket of fries.

** 2-star hangover
No pain, but something is definitely amiss. You may look okay but you have the attention span and mental capacity of a stapler.
The coffee you chug to try and remain focused is only exacerbating your rumbling gut, which is craving a full English breakfast.
Although you have a nice demeanor at the office, you are costing your employer valuable money because all you really can handle is some light filing, followed by aimlessly surfing the Net and writing junk e-mail.

*** 3-star hangover
Slight headache. Stomach feels like crap. You are definitely a space cadet and not so productive.
Anytime someone walks by your desk you gag because the perfume/aftershave reminds you of the random shots you did with your alcoholic friends after the bouncer kicked you out at 1:45 a.m.

**** 4-star hangover
You have lost the will to live. Your head is throbbing and you can't speak too quickly or else you might spew.
Your teeth have their own individual sweaters. Your eyes look like one big vein and your hairstyle makes you look like a reject from a second-grade class, circa 1976.
You would give a week's pay for one of the following: home time, a doughnut and somewhere to be alone, or a time machine so that you can go back to last night and change the fact that you went out.
You scare small children in the street just by walking past them.

http://askmen.com/jokes/2004_mar/mar14.html
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 07:19
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Sing! Dec 31, 2004

A wise guy about 10 years back in Pakistan told me that nearly 80% of booze leaves the body through breathing, and if you sing, it gets to nearly 95%!
I, myself can assure you that it has been tested and proven right with multiple varying dosages and brands of drinks, except venom. 100% reliable.
Get yourself an CD by the Pogues with lyrics inside and don't be afraid of a1nything!
Happy new year!...
See more
A wise guy about 10 years back in Pakistan told me that nearly 80% of booze leaves the body through breathing, and if you sing, it gets to nearly 95%!
I, myself can assure you that it has been tested and proven right with multiple varying dosages and brands of drinks, except venom. 100% reliable.
Get yourself an CD by the Pogues with lyrics inside and don't be afraid of a1nything!
Happy new year!
Alex
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Before it's too late (How Hangovers Work)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »