Off topic: The vagueries of Spanish
Thread poster: Jonathan Norris

Jonathan Norris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2015

Hi. My name is Spanish Contract. And I think it is absolutely okay to use "de" after six consecutive words. Sure, I could probably be much less vague if I really pushed myself, but it's not so easy. You should try being a legal document some time and tell me how you like it. I know those other fancy schmancy languages have phrases that aren't so irritating, or lazy, or obscure- good for them. I'm Spanish. I live at my own pace.

Come to think of it, "De" is the only preposition I'll ever need, or at least ever use, except for "a," which I also like to bend the use of rather than find a more precise word. It's fun. And besides, it drives translators absolutely bonkers, and that is a highly gratifying accomplishment for me. Do not mock me, maybe I am not perfect, but I am what I am.

Oriol Vives  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:27
Member (2009)
English to Catalan
+ ...
Thumbs up! Jun 5, 2015

icon_biggrin.gif

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there Jun 5, 2015

I'm still recovering.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The vagueries of Spanish Jun 6, 2015

If only the word Deísmo weren't already taken.

[Edited at 2015-06-06 15:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The vagueries of Spanish

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search