Off topic: do you know the origin of a "red herring"?
Thread poster: RHELLER
RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 01:23
French to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2005

NOt sure where to post this - perhaps we could start a new forum on "idioms and expressions".

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text7-5-2004-56268.asp

So many translators work from English. I thought this might be interesting.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:23
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

I enjoyed it, Rita :-) Jan 23, 2005

And although I knew the origin of the red herring and other tings red in the article, the link to 'pessimism' leads to an article about Murphy's law, whose origin I did not know, and I was surprised to learn it dates only to 1949.

Nancy

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope the instructions weren't translated :-) Jan 23, 2005

just joking!

"Now it so happened that there were two ways in which each sensor could be attached and one of the technicians somehow managed to install all 16 the wrong way around."

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-23-2004-50883.asp

there are some funny examples on the following page

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:23
French to English
Murphy was an optimist Jan 23, 2005

Hi,

Murphy's exhortation was to find all the ways that something could possibly go wrong, and prevent them from happening.

This is of course impossible, which is why he was an optimist.

Donald Rumsfeld got 15 minutes of fame recently for saying that "there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns." This is, a serious engineering truth. Known unknowns are things like noise. You know that it will be there, but the details are unknown -- it is noise after al
... See more
Hi,

Murphy's exhortation was to find all the ways that something could possibly go wrong, and prevent them from happening.

This is of course impossible, which is why he was an optimist.

Donald Rumsfeld got 15 minutes of fame recently for saying that "there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns." This is, a serious engineering truth. Known unknowns are things like noise. You know that it will be there, but the details are unknown -- it is noise after all. Unknown unknowns on the other hand are totally unexpected. Goedel's Completeness Theorem assures that they will be there, no matter what Murphy tries to do to find them.

And the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns are exactly why Murphy can't possibly find all the things that could go wrong.

Bruce
Collapse

Lietta Warren-Granato
Lietta Warren-Granato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:23
Italian to English
+ ...
a literal anwer Jan 23, 2005

I know the origins of the expression "red herring": in Scotland the traditional way to smoke fish is by hanging the fish in small huts, with a slow fire under them. The fish (different types) is hung on metal hooks and a small fire with different aromatic woods is slowly let to burn underneath; when the fish falls to the ground, is ready for eating. "The red herring" (a type of fish)is the first to fall to the ground as it cooks faster than the other types: this way when the fisherman sees a red... See more
I know the origins of the expression "red herring": in Scotland the traditional way to smoke fish is by hanging the fish in small huts, with a slow fire under them. The fish (different types) is hung on metal hooks and a small fire with different aromatic woods is slowly let to burn underneath; when the fish falls to the ground, is ready for eating. "The red herring" (a type of fish)is the first to fall to the ground as it cooks faster than the other types: this way when the fisherman sees a red herring he thinks that all the fish is smoked and ready, when in fact it's not true. It may sound boring, but this is the oigin of the expression, as reported by a BBC documentary some time ago.Collapse

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
here is a slightly different version Jan 24, 2005

"Red herring" first appeared in the literal "smoked fish" sense around 1420, but the figurative "phony issue or false clue" sense didn't appear until around 1884.

http://www.word-detective.com/042601.html

Laura Vinti
Laura Vinti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
German to Italian
+ ...
Thank you!! Jan 24, 2005

Thank you Rita for sharing this.
I found the Word Detective site interesting and entertaining and bookmarked it - Thanks!

giogi
giogi
Local time: 08:23
Logical fallacy.. Jan 24, 2005

Rita Heller wrote:

NOt sure where to post this - perhaps we could start a new forum on "idioms and expressions".

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text7-5-2004-56268.asp

So many translators work from English. I thought this might be interesting.

The name of this fallacy comes from the sport of fox hunting in which a dried, smoked herring, which is red in color, is dragged across the trail of the fox to throw the hounds off the scent. Thus, a "red herring" argument is one which distracts the audience from the issue in question through the introduction of some irrelevancy. This frequently occurs during debates when there is an at least implicit topic, yet it is easy to lose track of it. By extension, it applies to any argument in which the premisses are logically irrelevant to the conclusion.
In Philosophy, also known as Ignoratio Elenchi ("ignorance of refutation")
Cheers Rita!
Giovanna

[Edited at 2005-01-24 11:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

do you know the origin of a "red herring"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »