Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Tobacco fiend desperately seeking support!
Thread poster: Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 20:30
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2005

Nothing to do with language here - I'm trying to give up the demon weed and wondered if anyone has any advice. I'm great until I'm stuck into a translation and then find myself puffing away without noticing. It even takes precedence over my biscuit addiction (and as I live next to the one and only McVities factory that's pretty bad).

So - do other Prozians have the same problem and if so what do they do? Threats seem to work better for me than encouragement but anything to stop me frittering away my cash!

Elizabeth

Direct link Reply with quote

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Tried and tested Mar 15, 2005

I tried the patches. Bought the dosage of four weeks supply and even lost interest in using them after two weeks. Just continued to not smoke for six years, and I was amazed how easy it was! Felt much healthier and much less 'emolumentally disadvantaged'.

And - before I did the patches, I was smoking about 60 Gitanes daily!!!!!!!

You might have to try different brands, because skin types can react itchily with the varying adhesives used, according to my doctor.

You could try the chewing gum, but I didn't and I understand it tastes like stale ashtrays ;-(

A useful alternative is to be firm, and keep the fags downstairs, or even force yourself to go outside for a cigarette.

HTH

Chris

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Butt out Mar 15, 2005

Go out and get some exercise for once. Get addicted to that.

Bored at your computer? Stressed by your translation? Leave it for 2 minutes, lie on the floor and get yourself a little ab burn. You do all sorts of ab exercises, then get back to work. You'll end up hale and hearty, lean and mean. I'm outta here - gotta go running now.

[Edited at 2005-03-15 15:17]

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:30
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hide your lighter Mar 15, 2005

Elizabeth Sumner wrote:

Nothing to do with language here - I'm trying to give up the demon weed and wondered if anyone has any advice. I'm great until I'm stuck into a translation and then find myself puffing away without noticing. It even takes precedence over my biscuit addiction (and as I live next to the one and only McVities factory that's pretty bad).

So - do other Prozians have the same problem and if so what do they do? Threats seem to work better for me than encouragement but anything to stop me frittering away my cash!

Elizabeth

This may sound odd (and I guess it depends how addicted you are) but try to smoke without lighting your cigarette. It is disgusting (which is of course the point) and makes your hands smell. Also it provides no satisfaction whatsoever so that you slowly begin to associate the cigarette as the source of that dissatisfaction. When you figure out how to quit the biscuit addiction, though, let me know. I have a very similar one with extra dark chocolate and I image the technique would be the same. Good luck!

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Water apparently Mar 15, 2005

I translated something the other week that fits just your case. Apparently most smokers are deyhdrated so this guy was selling a programme of positive things to say to yourself combined with a glass of water every time you wanted a ciggie.

Béatrice Huret-Morton  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Drink sauge Mar 15, 2005

I stopped smoking 6 months ago after a 30-year addiction using the patch and drinking sauge tea everyday. I'm still chewing a lot of gum (nicotine free) but I already feel 500% better.

Cheers,

Béa

Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Kindred spirits! Mar 15, 2005

Elizabeth, I am exactly the same. And the problem seems to be compulsive. I light up, leave the ciggie in the ashtray to go back to the keyboard, and it consumes itself. I'm a passive chain smoker. Very rarely do I sit back and actually "enjoy" a cigarette while I'm working. And I don't think hiding lighters would have much effect because I'd be thinking about a smoke all the time. Forbidden fruit!
I've tried havng a drink beside me, but it usually gets warm and unpalatable.
Will power is the only cure, as we are all aware; possibly there will be a vaccine out in a few years time but no-one know with any certain whether this will be the panacea.
I don't want to go into what governments and health authorities should do, but I do have a few suggestions.
Meanwhile, take care and light one up for me.
To quote someone from years back: Smoking kills but it cures kippers.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
some advice that worked for me.... Mar 15, 2005

I managed to give up for the best part of 2 years and am now a 'fiend' again. I am also wondering how to give up definitively, i.e. with no more lapses, as eventually one just goes back full-time. From my many thoughts on the subject recently:

1. feel you really have to, and don't give up until you are convinced you will make it work, in other words, prepare and set a date (pre-summer is a good time, as opportunities for healthy living and eating and exercise are all enhanced)

2. examine your habits and find ways to defeat these habits
e.g. if you smoke compulsively at the computer, leave yer cigs and lighter in another room. Reduce/cut out consumption of tea, coffee etc, things that are automatically associated with smoking (beer I could handle!)

3. boredom is a factor (in my case, anyway, long hours at the computer), so make breaks that involve regular and sensible meals (the weight gain problem is a problem, esp. for women), and getting out and about

4. patches certainly worked for me in the first physical withdrawal period, altho' they don't resolve the psychology of dependence

5. get professional help (doctor), as there are treatments that apparently help

6. once you give up, swear NEVER to smoke again, not even a puff

7. make your home a smoke-free zone, but allow for smokers (e.g. out a window, on a balcony, etc.

8. finally, once ya give up, be tolerant with smokers within reason, only 1 passive smoker in Spain dies a year, for example, compared to the carnage on the roads or other kinds of carnage...:-)

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Delay Mar 15, 2005

Dear Elisabeth,

often when we try to get away from something we even want it more. Tell yourself that you can have a cigarette any time you choose to but just delay it. When the craving comes start to delay it for 5 minutes, just 5 minutes and you will find yourself that you actually paused for 10 or 30 minutes which you should see as progress. That way you won´t get stressed out about it and still feel in control. At the end, which could take a couple of month you will look forward to the evening cigarette and a glass of wine.

I wish you sucess!!!!
Kind regards,
Andrea

[Edited at 2005-03-15 23:43]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
My way Mar 15, 2005

The only safe way which worked for me was to move to a place from where it took me 1 hour to walk to the next cigarette vendor.

Unfortunately, I had to move back. Now I have the habit to leave cigarettes and ashtray in the kitchen. Maybe I don't smoke much less this way, but at least I am more aware of each cigarette.

xxxPRen  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Try the patch Mar 15, 2005

Hi Elisabeth, I quit five years ago using the patch. The worst was trying to translate - my habit was to light up everytime I got stuck on a word, sit back, smoke and think. It took me about 3 tries with the patch, but it eventually took after I read a book called The EAsy Way to Quit Smoking. Something about that book made a definite impact on me. Also, with the patch, because it takes care of the physical cravings, you know that if you're craving a cigarette it's in your mind, and you can deal with it on that level.
Good luck!
PS - I don't miss smoking AT ALL. Now if I could just get over my love of lovely wine...

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Take an inhouse job Mar 16, 2005

... where smoking is prohibited. Before I stopped 23 years ago I had reduced smoking at home, than I took up long distance running and orienteering and one day I decided to stop and never touched tobacco since.
good luck!

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Delay & Reward Mar 16, 2005

I believe Andrea's method is a very good one which I use myself (OK, not 100% of the time, but almost always when working).

Just as you're reaching for packet and lighter decide you'll get to the end of that paragraph /section / whatever, first.

If you're really desperate, "end of this sentence"......

You get your prize when you've finished.....and, as Andrea says, you'd be surprised how often you've actually got onto the next page, section, chapter before you realise you never smoked it in the end.

As far as giving up entirely goes I've no idea. But it is a good way to "keep it under control".

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tic-Tacs and water Mar 16, 2005

I quit smoking almost 15 years ago, cold turkey (cutting down never worked for me). In the early days, I always kept a box of Tic-Tacs (very small breath mints, hardly any calories) handy, and when I wanted a cigarette, I had a Tic-Tac instead. I also had a bottle of water on my desk and frequently reached for that, too. It was still hard, of course, but as the days go by it gets a little easier.

Ailish is right about not even taking a puff again once you quit. I haven't dared to even touch a cigarette in all these years, because I am sure I would start right back up again. The mental and emotional factor is even more powerful than the physical addiction, I think--there are times (very stressful moments, for example) when the thought of a cigarette still crosses my mind (but fortunately only for a fleeting second!).

Good luck!

Elizabeth Sumner
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for your advice - it's definitely helping Mar 16, 2005

Hi, thanks for all the advice people have been giving. It's really encouraging to know how other people managed to quit.

Edward - you're right about the exercise, I've noticed a great improvement, I swim, since I cut right down. I'm considering spending some of the money saved on a healthier life - my partner wants to start fencing again and needs someone to run at with a sword (help), which sounds rather fun.

I have cut down a lot recently and am even fine when having a beer. For some reason I have a mental block when it comes to 'ruminative smoking'. Nothing seems to cut through a fog of Norwegian legislation like a full strength Marlboro but I'm now trying trips to up and down the road to clear my head instead.

LSabadosa (When you figure out how to quit the biscuit addiction, though, let me know) - I can't help there I'm afraid. I didn't know how fond of them I was until I cut down on the ciggies and my smell improved. I like fresh air when I work and there's a pervasive smell of Hobnobs and Coconut Rings wafting in through the window. Of course, I could just shut the window but it smells SO good.

Elizabeth

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tobacco fiend desperately seeking support!

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search