Thread poster: krishna mallick

krishna mallick
India
Local time: 01:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 26, 2005

Hi everybody,

I want to know about Taichi. Though I find millions of pages in the internet, i am not finding what I want. Can somebody give me the appropriate URL.
Somethings I would like to browse in taichi is about
1. Basics, advanced training (breathing coordination, stances)
2. Energy exercises for diabetes, weightless treatment, etc

with regards

Direct link Reply with quote

davidgreen
German to English
this site below might help you May 26, 2005

http://www.shaolinarts.com/pages/taichi.html

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:57
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Complex subject, indeed... May 26, 2005

I have been practicing taijiquan for five years now. While I am no expert, I think I can venture some suggestions...

Taijiquan (tai chi chuan) has originated as a martial art. Of course, for some people, especially today, the side effects, i.e. health, relaxation and longevity may be considered to be more important. However, given the complexity of the art, it is still disputed whether practicing taiji without deeper understanding may be as effective.

As for basics, I strongly suggest seeking advice from an instructor or a teacher. Taiji, as any other physical activity, may be harmful if practised incorrectly. Even the best books or videotapes cannot tell you how to stand or move correctly, as it often depends on your constitution. Without experience it is easy to damage your knees or even back... I don't know which part of India you live in, but maybe there is a chance for a travelling Chinese master?

Considering the web resources, I agree that they lack important information. I suggest reading some books, as they are usually of better quality (but not always!). If you are interested in taijiquan Yang style, you may find some information in the books published by YMAA (the school I am in):
http://www.ymaa.com/

For Chen style, see:
http://www.chenxiaowang.com/

These books are written with the Western audience in mind, so they might be easier than the Chinese sources. On the sites you can also find information on their seminars, schedules, videotapes, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

regarding Tai chi

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search