Off topic: Don't be a plank. Read this and get really clueful :)
Thread poster: Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:23
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 10, 2005

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/10/nwords10.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/08/10/ixhome.html

Uldis

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Uldis, Aug 10, 2005

interesting article. It also reminded me of the Standard Albanian-Albanian Dictionary that was published several years ago (In addition to other similar things with this Oxford edition, they tried to replace the word "biçikletë" ("Bicycle" in Albanian) with the word "dy-rrotakësh" which means "two-wheeler" which is still not being used by Albanians, besides in jokes.

Monika...
See more
interesting article. It also reminded me of the Standard Albanian-Albanian Dictionary that was published several years ago (In addition to other similar things with this Oxford edition, they tried to replace the word "biçikletë" ("Bicycle" in Albanian) with the word "dy-rrotakësh" which means "two-wheeler" which is still not being used by Albanians, besides in jokes.

Monika

[Edited at 2005-08-11 04:38]
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
the oxford must have changed its policy Aug 11, 2005

I remember hearing years ago that it took a word to be in use for twenty years before they would put it in their dictionary, which was quite a sensible policy, but obviously if "podcast" has been included that policy went out the window.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
New English words just 'lush' Aug 11, 2005

Different article on the same subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/08/11/dictionary.words.reut/index.html

Monika

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:23
English
+ ...
Offensive, pretentious and condescending. Aug 11, 2005

Plain stupid.

[Edited at 2005-08-22 18:44]

Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
That's just silly... Aug 11, 2005

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I remember hearing years ago that it took a word to be in use for twenty years before they would put it in their dictionary, which was quite a sensible policy, but obviously if "podcast" has been included that policy went out the window.

My thinking is that someone at Oxford is trying to drum up dictionary sales or has lost their mind or both. "Cockapoo" and "labradoodle" (hideous looking animals, sorry) are in yet "demographic" just now makes the list? Like I said, silliness.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't be a plank. Read this and get really clueful :)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »