Off topic: Photos on profile page
Thread poster: Sarah Brenchley

Refugio
Local time: 17:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Cat Connection Aug 19, 2005

Selçuk Budak wrote:

...using cats is not as easy...to understand. A colleague in our Turkish forum even suggested that there might be an association between cats and translators! And I wonder if this is indeed the case.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 10:59]

It is likely that translators and cats get along well both in their taste for independence and their sedentary lifestyle. ;~}

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 18:27
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
If I were a client... Aug 19, 2005

If I were a client, I wouldn't want to entrust my documents to a cat or a baby. I think a logo is ok, but I would still prefer to see a (clear!) picture.

sarahl (X)
English to French
+ ...
Privacy Aug 19, 2005

Hello tocaya!

We had a similar thread last year about the use of aliases. Most people -including me- would rather not use their picture and real name on the Internet to protect their privacy. A logo is also useful imo to convey something about your work. I am using DNA as my logo because my specialty is medical and I am very interested in genetics. In fact that's what I would do if I were not an interpreter, I would be a researcher.

Similarly, I wonder how professional someone's mug is. I like a logo better in a professional setting.

FWIW

Sarah

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-20 05:33]

[Edited at 2006-01-09 19:37]

Leylaw
English to Spanish
+ ...
Comments pertaining to Photos on profile page Aug 19, 2005

Dear Colleagues:
Although it is understandable that some individuals would like to see a human face when they are interacting with others, the depiction of a person’s facade within a professional or work-related profile is not a pressing necessity. For obvious reasons, those who are seeking services are more prone to ascertain and qualify the attributes of a task performed rather than the idiosyncratic image of a given service provider. This is a typical case subsumed under the parameters of the radical differences between “essence and appearance”. The perception of reality, and therefore, images of people, is in fact a highly subjective enterprise conducive to distortions and miscalculations about the nature and the essence of what is being perceived. Given that the provision of services approximates the terrain of an objective and tangible phenomenon, it should therefore be disconnected from dynamics or instances that may somehow taint the qualitative essence of a given service on the basis of subjective perceptual appraisals.
Another dimension of this particular issue pertains to the area of personal job interviews. In this context, the realm of appearance is always at the forefront of this type of social interaction. From this perspective, it may be prudent to follow the advice of those whose occupation is to offer guidance over the necessity of having a polished presentation of the self before potential employers. However, regardless how well-mannered and groomed individuals might be in a situation of this genre, there is realistically nothing job applicants can do in terms of possibly facing the traits of bias and prejudice inherent within certain employers’ personality reservoir targeting particular humans groups. This is an occurrence that may be categorized as unavoidable in a multiplicity of instances.
In considering the preceding observations, it could be suggested that our colleagues’ dispensation of photos within their profiles cannot be regarded as a vital or desirable practice. As a matter of fact, on certain occasions, this activity may be highly disadvantageous if not dysfunctional. Therefore, it is also prudent to avoid an unwanted ambush of this kind whenever possible.
From the onset of my membership in this community, I personally decided to use a logo that fairly represents my overall occupational status. I must add that this selection was made irrespective of the previous concerns. Rather, this decision was executed solely upon the basis of marketing considerations.
At this final crossing, I would like to reiterate the following: Although the provision of pictures to this community by my colleagues is a well received practice from my viewpoint, I do not believe it is essential. Certainly, their pictures are not crucial components of the professional package translators may offer at the time of encountering potential employers.
J.S.N.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
I suppose so Aug 20, 2005

I also started a thread some time ago on use of pseudonyms, and of course images is really one and the same.

My own opinion is that "real" is not the best, it is the only. If you are not real, you are not.

If you need "privacy", you are not.

On this site I know who is real and who is not. If I were a client, I would certainly not hire those who are not. I would hire those that are.

Be yourselves, and be proud of yourselves, or else stay quiet and be nobody. But of course we'd prefer to know you if you'd like to come out, but we need to see you.

Only the real can become our true friends.

cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Am I real? Aug 20, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

I also started a thread some time ago on use of pseudonyms, and of course images is really one and the same.

My own opinion is that "real" is not the best, it is the only. If you are not real, you are not.

If you need "privacy", you are not.

On this site I know who is real and who is not. If I were a client, I would certainly not hire those who are not. I would hire those that are.

Be yourselves, and be proud of yourselves, or else stay quiet and be nobody. But of course we'd prefer to know you if you'd like to come out, but we need to see you.

Only the real can become our true friends.

Henry, I suppose that in general terms I would be inclined to agree with you about being 'real', and the photo/image business is just an extension of your online identity.

However, I think that if you hang around the fora/Kudoz for a while, as you point out, you soon get to know who is and who isn't real, and I've only been here for a relatively short time. Unfortunatley for those of us with assumed names, clients probably don't spend much time consulting either of these places, but then not being chosen for jobs is a risk that we have to accept. As others have mentioned, getting work is not the only reason for being a member of Proz.

Personally, I think that images that reflect a person's speciality, such as the ones that can be seen further up this thread , can be more effective than a personal photo
- from a marketing point of view they might even help you remember the person in question over others.

Having said all of this, my image does not really reflect my professional specialities, as it is conditioned by my pseudonym - chosen because I didn't want my soon-to-be-ex-employer to Google me. I`ve been thinking of some time now of changing it so that both the cello and me get into the photo (yes, as Diana Ross would sing: "I'm coming out", but don't hold your breath - del dicho al hecho...) But does this mean that we can't be friends until I do?

Linda

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:27
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Plain, old shyness... Aug 21, 2005

...at least in my case.
And a bit of Greta Garbo's syndrome, maybe.

Up until a couple of days ago I had the silliest of pictures - Winnie the Pooh with a balloon! Corny, to say the least, but hey, I liked it! And I don't think it has ever damaged my professional reputation. Most of my clients have known me for many years, and as for new prospects I hope I can win them with my skills, not my looks or my taste in avatars... But then again, I would never use a nickname instead of my real name - I think we're all different when it comes to what we consider to be professionally sound.

I have replaced Winnie the Pooh with a picture of my son, because - as a friend and colleague once said:

"a kid is like a job that takes nine months to translate and a whole life to edit.."

Mirella

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:27
Spanish to English
Me too Aug 23, 2005

I'm shy too and anyway if I were to depend on my looks to get a job I would be permanently unemployed. Countess Markievicz is much more presentable, you can take my word for it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Photos on profile page

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search