Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Photos on profile page
Thread poster: Sarah Brenchley

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2005

I'll probably open up a right can of worms with this one, but why do people post photos of anyone/anything but themselves on their profile page? When I read something another prozer has written, I like to have a mental image of them in my mind and while I can half understand the idea of having a logo which reflects your work ethic, I can't understand the point of posting photos of pets, boyfriends, etc. Can anyone englighten me on this one?

Direct link Reply with quote

Carl Sennett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
German to English
+ ...
Something I've often thought! Aug 19, 2005

Sarah - good on you for opening up this potential can of worms!
I'm definitely with you on this one.

I can't think of any sales people in other industries who would take their pet cat to visit a client. Apparently in translating, this sort of thing must somehow increase one's prospects of winning new business.

I should point out that I have not yet posted a photo as I couldn't get the kids or the dog to sit still for long enough.

Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same for the username! Aug 19, 2005

I agree with you. And it's the same for user name. Would you imagine calling a translation agency and say "Hello, I am Winnie the Pooh and I would like to cooperate with you for translations!!!"

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 09:59
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
:-) Aug 19, 2005

I should better change my photo!

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
I changed mine after starting to participate in Kudoz Aug 19, 2005

Interesting question.
I can only answer for myself, though.

I felt really shy at the beginning, I didn't know what kind of reactions one would receive from posting a personal photo or CV details. In fact, I was rather worried in the beginning. So I just uploaded a boring old globe. However, after surfing proz.com silently for a few weeks and after getting the hang of things, I uploaded my photo and I have recently even put some more pictures (me and my sailing team)on my personal tab in the profile.

While I agree that a personal photo or logo might look more professional, I'm not at all bothered when I see a cat or a dog or a cartoon. Actually, I often try to imagine why a specific image has been chosen (and so I have mentally assigned a personality trait to some of the proz.com community members).

DZ

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User name Aug 19, 2005

Yes, the user name is another thing. When thanking or responding to someone it always seems strange to say, "Thanks xzxdddd".

Robert Donahue  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Some people aren't necessarilly here to drum up business Aug 19, 2005

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

I'll probably open up a right can of worms with this one, but why do people post photos of anyone/anything but themselves on their profile page? When I read something another prozer has written, I like to have a mental image of them in my mind and while I can half understand the idea of having a logo which reflects your work ethic, I can't understand the point of posting photos of pets, boyfriends, etc. Can anyone englighten me on this one?

Believe it or not, some people are actually here just to help, or out of intellectual curiousity, boredom, etc. Maybe presenting a professional image is not a high priority in this case.

This was the case for me initially. I posted a photo soon after I made my profile but only because it was so blank. Maybe a month in I switched my screen name to my real one. For some people this is a gradual process. It's actually kind of cool to watch it as you hang around.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:59
personal pics Aug 19, 2005

I always like to see the face behind the name.

I do think it is important to see a face pic on a profile- customers would like to know who they are dealing with. I don't agree with putting pictures up of your kids etc - save that for your personal webpage.

Last year, I got bored with the profile pic i was using and put up a non-personal pic (think it was a t-shirt slogan or sthg) and a few days later, after I had posted sthg in Kudoz or the forums, a Proz member said they preferred my other picture!
So you're all stuck with my mug-shot for now

Still, i absolutely hate getting my pic taken, i'm always worried that i'll see extra "lumps and bumps", red-eye and all those other horrible things!!

Orla

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sullen Face Aug 19, 2005

During our Ankara Powwow, some colleagues complained that they are tired of seing my sullen face on kudoz or forum pages, and that I had better replace it with a nicer photo.

I complied. But since I could not find a "nicer" photo of mine, I replaced it by a photo of my 13mo son.

On the other hand, I see that there are two recurring themes in profile page photos: pets (mostly cats) and children.

Using child photos is enoughly understandable. But using cats is not as easy as the former to understand. A colleague in our Turkish forum even suggested that there might be an association between cats and translators! And I wonder if this is indeed the case.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 10:59]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree! Aug 19, 2005

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

.... but why do people post photos of anyone/anything but themselves on their profile page? When I read something another prozer has written, I like to have a mental image of them in my mind and while I can half understand the idea of having a logo which reflects your work ethic, I can't understand the point of posting photos of pets, boyfriends, etc. Can anyone englighten me on this one?

I had a photo and removed it, replaced it with a logo, simply in the interest of protecting my privacy. For the same reason I changed my real name, as it's an unusual one. Just to keep my work life and my private life separate.

Pets, logos, I can understand, but babies and boyfriends not much. I am waiting to be enlightened too:-)

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French

Hi,

Interesting question... the Internet has quickly developped through forums and chat-rooms a new kind of communication, which can be more or less "anonymous".
To give a tinge of personality to these anonymous posts in the forums, the so-called "avatar" has been implemented and is now a concept deeply linked to the virtual communication. The avatar represents an aspect of the personnality which the poster wants to emphasize.

As we are both human translators and virtual profiles, and as this site is a typical Web-based communication platform, why should we not use this avatar to tell "who we are" ? I chose a picture of my favourite poet, and I let you guess what that means

Personaly, I do like to see the face of my fellow translators, but I like it too when they choose a picture which can tell much more than a simple foto. As for pets, well... let's say it's nice to know that someone loves cats or dogs.

And I don't think the clients should bother... if the profile page is well-documented and the person can easily be contacted, then you can know quickly who works for you. It's not because I have a pretty face that my work will be good

Well, my two cents

Sylvain

PS : and I fully agree with Robert and Lia

[Edited at 2005-08-19 12:50]

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
With a fetching face like yours? Aug 19, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

I always like to see the face behind the name.

I do think it is important to see a face pic on a profile- customers would like to know who they are dealing with. I don't agree with putting pictures up of your kids etc - save that for your personal webpage.

Last year, I got bored with the profile pic i was using and put up a non-personal pic (think it was a t-shirt slogan or sthg) and a few days later, after I had posted sthg in Kudoz or the forums, a Proz member said they preferred my other picture!
So you're all stuck with my mug-shot for now

Still, i absolutely hate getting my pic taken, i'm always worried that i'll see extra "lumps and bumps", red-eye and all those other horrible things!!

Orla

I hate how I look, at least in pictures. So I "hide behind my cat", as someone put it some time ago.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Of course there is! Aug 19, 2005

Selçuk Budak wrote:

During our Ankara Powwow, some colleagues complained that they are tired of seing my sullen face on kudoz or forum pages, and that I had better replace it with a nicer photo.

I complied. But since I could not find a "nicer" photo of mine, I replaced it by a photo of my 13mo son.

On the other hand, I see that there are two recurring themes in profile page photos: pets (mostly cats) and children.

Using child photos is enoughly understandable. But using cats is not as easy as the former to understand. A colleague in our Turkish forum even suggested that there might be an association between cats and translators! And I wonder if this is indeed the case.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 10:59]

After all, we use CATs as tools. Besides, our cats always help on the keyboard.

In any case, Xola tells me it's her cat I'm showing.

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another life Aug 19, 2005

I remember a thread where some people revealed that they don't want the comments they throw around here coming back to haunt them, so to speak. Some of them, after encountering themselves in google ("shocked!"), sometimes years after the original posts had been made, dropped their real names here and started going by nicknames (or first names only).

Proz.com serves different needs for different people. Some people want to keep this site as separate as possible from their professional lives (hence the pet profile photos and the like, at least in some cases); for others the site is the primary professional marketing tool, especially if they don't have a Web site of their own.

Selçuk Budak wrote:
...since I could not find a "nicer" photo of mine...

Now I have to disagree with that. After the powwow a number of photos circulated wherein the powwow participants, including the quoted member, could be spotted looking very "nice" indeed (and that was before the libations had been consumed!). Not sure if those ended up on the powwow page, though.

And not that there was anything wrong with the original picture (to paraphrase the immortal Seinfeld line)

Aziz

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proz.com Marketing Consultant Aug 19, 2005

Maybe what Proz.com needs is a Marketing Consultant, whose services could even generate income for the site. This consultant could perfect members' resumes and help them choose an image and a name that can bring them success in the world of translation.

Big companies do this, they are very aware of what it can do for them. Many of their advertising campaigns are built around the creation of a proper image and impression.

We all need help in that area. And there are many colleagues who appear to need A LOT of help in that area!

What say, Tocayo? Maybe this could be a new opening for Proz.com.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Photos on profile page

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search