Off topic: How do you cope with post-vacational syndrome?
Thread poster: Anabel Martínez

Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 24, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I just came back from my holidays and I'm finding it terribly difficult to be back in the "real world"... It's not only about not having new projects to do, but also about feeling out of tune with what is happening, like here in proz, where I see many changes in just 2 weeks!

It's for this reason that I just wondered what you all do to "heal" from the feelings most of us get when coming back from our holidays, but which I believe differ a bit in our profession, as freelancers.

Cheers!

Anabel

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:03
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Post vacational syndrome Aug 24, 2005

I just came back from a month holiday in draught ridden Portugal. The only difference is I took my laptop (and the terribly expensive 3G Datacard) with me and spent time on the beach working on a huge project. Now I am back and still working on the same project. So nothing much has changed. But instead of beach I am sitting in my home office and the rain is banging outside, it is rather chilly. And that is sad. Had it been sunny and warm I would hardly complain.

Cheers,
Burrell

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Book the next holiday! Aug 24, 2005

Hi Anabel, nice to have you back

I took my holidays early this year, in June, and I don't think I'll do it again. I have spent the rest of the summer working while all my friends and family have been getting ready for their holidays this month, and my holiday now seems like it was YEARS ago!

I think the only way to get back into the swing of things is to book your next holiday, that way you've got something to look forward to again

Good luck with the post-holiday blues,

Becky.

Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No syndrome Aug 24, 2005

I took my one-month vacation in July and came back in August. Work load in August is not so heavy, so I have plenty of time for gardening, swimming, reading and updating, while coming back to real world in a kind of “soft landing”. This is the second year I do this, and I am quite happy with it.

Regards,
Cr

Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Enlighten me! Aug 24, 2005

Holiday? Vacation? Um ... what's that?

Kathinka

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take it easy :-) Aug 24, 2005

Hi Anabel,

I came back from my holiday in Alicante a month ago. I reckon I was in a similar situation to yours: I had very little work at the time of my arrival in Germany, although fortunately not for long which I am sure it is the very same thing that it will happen to you.

Take it easy and enjoy the time at your disposal, and if you can’t, try to expand your client base, sort up your glossaries or discover new features of your TM tool…

Anyway, I am pretty sure that when you are back to business and overloaded with deadlines, you will miss the post-vacational days.

¡Ánimo!

Estefanía

cello  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Easy! Aug 24, 2005

Don't have a holiday...that should solve it.

Or think about those of us who haven't had and won't have any summer hols this year:-)

Uf, right now it feels like mid December even tho I'm on the Costa del Sol - I'm so snowed under with work.

Good to see you around again though

Linda

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Go to a powwow... Aug 25, 2005

We had a really good powwow in Odense, Denmark last year, before the summer holiday.

This year it was after the holiday for most of us. Thanks to Jeanette, who invited us to her home, it was a really brilliant weekend. Quite as good as a holiday, but so inspiring that I was even glad to get back to work and try out some of the new ideas...

No powwow near you?? Propose one! as they say on the ProZ.com site

(It's hard work if you want it to succeed, but I can warmly recommend it!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you cope with post-vacational syndrome?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search