Off topic: international quality of life survey
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2005

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/international/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3372495&d=2005

Click in link in text to see details for other countries, methodology etc.

Found this when reading local news this morning. Ireland is top, which rather surprises me, as I lived there for a year recently, and was glad to return to Spain (ranked 10); mind you I was a student, so wasn't benefiting from the 4th highest income level in the world.

Some of my Irish colleagues will be surprised too, they'll have heard of the 'rip-off Ireland' movement....maybe we are just begrudgers after all!

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't believe everything that you read... Sep 2, 2005

As a person who has lived in some of the top- and some of the bottom-ranked countries, I don't think this list makes much sense. Quality of life is what you make out of it, period. No offense to the top rated countries; this is just my experience. In one of the bottom-ranked countries I dealt with shakey plumbing, water that just stopped running regularly and I think I still lived better than I did in a few of the top rated countries; I was certainly happier. And I was making a local salary, living among the locals, etc (i.e. no special privileges). Just my two cents and, in any case, thanks for the diversion.icon_smile.gif
LNS

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

international quality of life survey

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search