Thread poster: ANAYANSI KONRAD
ANAYANSI KONRAD
ANAYANSI KONRAD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

It seems ages since the last time i posted a note in this forum, telling y'all about my trip to Vegas where I eloped with my now husband...

...that was only a few weeks ago, isn't that ironic?

I moved to New Orleans a year ago, my husband is a born&bread NewOrleanian.

He had a house in the Uptown neighborhood of Fountainebleau, but sold it to buy us a bigger house in Harahan, which is a suburb of New Orleans, to the west, only 10 minutes away by Airline Hig
... See more
It seems ages since the last time i posted a note in this forum, telling y'all about my trip to Vegas where I eloped with my now husband...

...that was only a few weeks ago, isn't that ironic?

I moved to New Orleans a year ago, my husband is a born&bread NewOrleanian.

He had a house in the Uptown neighborhood of Fountainebleau, but sold it to buy us a bigger house in Harahan, which is a suburb of New Orleans, to the west, only 10 minutes away by Airline Highway.

It's so eery that now everybody around the world is now familiar with our streets, parishes, neighborhoods, just as everybody is with Kabul, Kandahar...

Our house was spared from the flooding, Harahan is in one of the highest zones in New Orleans, near a levee that was strong enough to withstand the blows from Katrina.

We didn't get any damage from trees either, no windows broken, only branches all around the house, dust, the brand new pool (finished the saturday before the evacuation) filled wiht black water and who knows waht, but nothing more.

We were blessed. We were spared.

My husband has a shiphandling biznez, and that was spared as well, only one boat was sunk, although one of the launches, the one in the area of Belle Chasse, was wiped out; it was the one that took care of the maintenance, but it can be rebuilt.

So all in all, we are among the lucky ones whose prayers were answered.

Now I'm in Baton Rouge, staying in a hotel room (Quality Suites room 206 225-293-1199), have been for a week now; tomorrow I'll be going down to Harahan, which is in the now famous Jefferson Parish, to get some clothes, check on my cat (we brought her back last Saturday, she was goign crazy in the hotel room and at teh house she has a trap door and an automatic feeder) and see my husband.

I haven't seen him since Sunday, he's been workin at teh launches non-stop; there are about 100 families taht depend on taht biznez and most of teh captains are living on the boats, most of them have lost everyhting, but need to work to send some money to their scattered families.

We all need to get some normalcy back into our lives.

I can't complain, only thank all of you who had me in you prayers, I believe in teh power of prayer and I am sure taht is why we were spared.

I choose to believe that and also that we were spared in order to give back as much as possible to the ones who have nothing to be thankful for, not even their lives.

No one, after this hurricane, can claim that their lives have remained intact.

New Orleans was a way of life. I know that is hard to understand if you've never been in New Orleans.

I think I have waht tehy call teh survivor syndrome, i feel utterly guily to say the least, but as I said before, cannot complain.

I bid y'all farewell, takin this opportunity to ask you to heed the call thrown by another colleague who proposed the idea, as translators, to help the Katrina refugees in any way possible.

Please do it, step in, and keep in mind that all the people that fled new orleans, are not refugees, we're just human beings that happen to come from new orleans.

All we want is to go back home, and try to rebuild a magical city that went down worse than Atlantis or Pompei ever did.

Besos from Baton Rouge, with New Orleans in my soul.

Anayansi
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
¡Cuánto lo siento! Sep 8, 2005

I remember reading your wedding posting a few days ago. And I was happy. I said to myself: "how nice is she! She is sharing her joy! I wish her all the best" And without writing anything, nor sending you a message, I smiled, and imagined that you were going to have a very nice honeymoon, and all the joy and excitement that comes after.

Today, writing in another forum about the New Orleans tragedy, and remembering the tragedy of Armero in Colombia, when the snows of the Nevado del Ru
... See more
I remember reading your wedding posting a few days ago. And I was happy. I said to myself: "how nice is she! She is sharing her joy! I wish her all the best" And without writing anything, nor sending you a message, I smiled, and imagined that you were going to have a very nice honeymoon, and all the joy and excitement that comes after.

Today, writing in another forum about the New Orleans tragedy, and remembering the tragedy of Armero in Colombia, when the snows of the Nevado del Ruiz collapsed, I stated that it should be very difficult for someone to leave his house for Good knows how long. But not only one person, but a whole town, a whole city! It's hard, it's terrible. And even if they have lost everything, the survivors will feel guilty for a long time. But this tragedy is not their fault.

I'm sorry but I have to write this in Spanish to express my concern: Lo siento mucho, lo siento. Lo que vives y has vivido en estos días no es algo que se pueda superar pronto pero tendrás que aprender a vivir con ello, tratando de reconocer y disfrutar, de ahora en adelante, las cosas bellas que te brinde la vida. ¡Fuerza!

Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Strength Sep 8, 2005

This morning I read the story from a family from Barcelona, who were on holiday in New Orleans - they ended up spending five terrible days in the stadium, not knowing what was going to happen. That sounds incredible. It must be a situation you cannot imagine happening - a whole city wiped out. I also read that the entire town is to be evacuated because of the contaminated water.
I wish you and your family a lot of strength! Keep on posting your experiences.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
my thoughts are with you Sep 8, 2005

Anayansi wrote:
It's so eery that now everybody around the world is now familiar with our streets, parishes, neighborhoods, just as everybody is with Kabul, Kandahar...

How odd, I remember thinking the exact same thing when tragedy struck in NYC. Thank you for letting us know you're safe, and take the best care possible in the months ahead. I hope you will continue posting about your experiences and thoughts, if that helps.

Un abrazo,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EN-ES
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Newlywed to Refugee: Alive&Well in Baton Rouge

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »