Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Living abroad... what kind of food and drink do you miss most from your own country?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Sep 10, 2005

Personally, bread and red wines. Although here in the UK you can get almost anything now, I really miss my Calabrian bread and red wines. The wine merchants here seem to import the less interesting Italian red wines, often manufactured to the British taste. A nice trip in my MPV to my native Italy to do a bit of outsourcing is calling...

Giovanni

[Edited at 2005-09-10 08:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
Branston pickle Sep 10, 2005

Despite free trade in the EU, some things remain truly local. As a Brit, Branston pickle is perhaps the one thing I'd love to be able to buy in Spain. It's ideal with the vast variety of cheese we have here. But it's so heavy to bring a large supply. Other things I miss are Steak & Kidney Pie, Bangers (sausages), Rhubarb (you can find it in the dictionary but not in the shops!). My daughter always stocks up on Lemon Curd, but that's not something I miss!

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
I miss smoked fish Sep 10, 2005

(not the salty Italian one) and all the other things that are cheap and ready-made and far more filling than a 1-gramme Italian sandwich...for example all those Indian and Thai places in Germany where they give you a plate full of rice and more for 3 euros...

[Edited at 2005-09-10 09:16]

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
Marmite & Earl Grey tea Sep 10, 2005

Marmite and Earl Grey tea are the two things I always stock up on when I'm in London.

Having said that, I haven't actually touched Marmite for at least half a year, but it's reassuring to know it's there!

[Edited at 2005-09-10 10:00]

Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
I miss Sep 10, 2005

french red wines
then: mustard, croissant, particolar types of bread, oysters, steak au poivre and conserve of goose (confit d'oie).

Nevertheless, I am lucky because I have many french and belgian friends who live in my region and those going to France or travelling through France generally take care to ask what the others need before going.

Then I live 300km from the border (Ventimiglia) and go for a day to Nice any time I can do it.

Italian food is so good anyway (I particolarly appreciate the traditional Lunigiana dishes) that one relatively miss the food specialties of his own country.

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/italy/l/bl_luni_map.htm

Have a nice week-end.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Invariably there's always something to miss Sep 10, 2005

from any country I've stayed more than a month in...

But the worst have always been fruits and vegetables. Can't do anything about that, it's weather-dependent. Fr'instance, the further north you go, the less you get okra (last seen in relatively wilted conditions in Crete. Conversely, I daresay some Swedes would yanker for reindeer meat as they move southwards...)

Other things can be shelved, bottled or dried and bought for a pretty penny. No problem there, I'm used to cooking, but fresh raw materials are a bitch.

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
When I lived in Spain... Sep 10, 2005

I used to crave the following things:

Curry. Either in a restaurant or at home. You just couldn't find the ingredients anywhere. I used to have herbs and spices sent out to me from friends and family back home.

Fresh milk (i.e not UHT or long-life stuff). I could occasionally find it in some hypermarkets but not always. I just don't like the taste of UHT.

Cream soda. I just love the stuff.

Nice sliced bread, not the sort of sweet, long-life stuff you get out there. Even the "pan inglés" they make doesn't taste all that great to me.

I'm back in Britain now though. Eating curry and sliced bread and drinking cream soda and milk And now I miss the chorizo, jamón, the tapitas.....

The grass is ALWAYS greener.

carly  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
greasy fish'n'chips drowned in vinegar... Sep 10, 2005

mugs of tea - the tea here (Italy) just isn't the same as back home (Ireland)
cheddar cheese
tayto crisps
brown bread
butter (salted) that is yellow, not white

I could go on and on...

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
the usuals I imagine... Sep 10, 2005

Marmite, branston, piccalilly (spelling?), real ale, fish and chips and salt'n'vinegar crisps, curry... and sausage rolls. (Don't get me started on Christmas foods - what I wouldn't give for a hot mince pie!)

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
All is not lost..... Sep 10, 2005

Like Sheilann, I miss S&K pies and sausages most.

But Branston Pickle can be bought depending on where you live. There's a British shop in Barcelona which sells most of the things which have been "missed" in this thread and I can send you (and anyone else) the details if you like.
(Don't suppose I should actually include the info here)

Andy

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Taste of "real" food Sep 10, 2005

I really miss the taste of "real" food. Finding a particular food or drink is not that difficult where I am, however, it just does not taste the same. Even peas, beans, olives, meat, milk etc. taste differently and much, much better in Albania... I don't think I should even start with my all-time favorite food (deserts and fruits.)

Monika

[Edited at 2005-09-10 13:58]

PB Trans

French to English
+ ...
Mostly the little treats... Sep 10, 2005

When in the UK, I miss Oh Henry! and Caramilk chocolate bars, Bubblicious bubble gum, poutine, Beaver Tails... and Orange Juleps from Montreal.

When in Canada, I miss chipolatas, Hob Nobs, Walkers crisps and Linguine alla Pescatora from Strada. And the great stuff from the fruit and veg stalls, like avocados.

But I usually try to bring stuff with me when I go back and forth.

[Edited at 2005-09-10 14:03]

Marcela MF
Italy
English to Romanian
+ ...
"sarmale" and "mititei" Sep 10, 2005

I miss "sarmale" (Stuffed Cabbage or Vine Leaves, this is a very traditional Romanian food) and " Mititei " ( small grill sausages perfumed with aromatic herbs).

Take a look:

http://arynok.free.fr/cuisine/plats/sarmale.htm
http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Beef/Mititei.(Minced.Meat.Rolls).html

I live in Italy, not far away from my native country, so, once again this year I 'll have a chance to taste them.

Have a nice day,
Marcela

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Tea Sep 10, 2005

Like fellow irlandese Carly, I miss tea: in fact, I often carry a small suitcase expecially for a couple of boxes of Barry's tea. And mature cheddar cheese with pickle. Waaaaah!

Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:11
German to English
+ ...
Everything! Sep 10, 2005

Cadbury's chocolate, samoosas, boerewors, Nicknacks, cream soda, cheap ciggies, mieliepap etc, etc, etc.
Now that's made me hungry

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Living abroad... what kind of food and drink do you miss most from your own country?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search