Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: What is the meaning of your first name?
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani
Arthur Allmendinger
Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:16
English to German
+ ...
Arthur > Artus > bear Sep 11, 2005

Arthur stems from Artus or Arto, Arctus and means bear (in celtic languages)

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Özden Sep 11, 2005

is my name, it's Turkish - and I'm a Turkish speaker, indeed, but I wanted to mention this as there are many Turkish names with foreign origins. As far as I know from dictionaries, it means self-existent, a being that doesn't need to be created or even born by any other agent, but whose existence comes from the mere fact that it has chosen to exist. Hmm, a bit complicated, and I don't see how such a thing could be possible, but then maybe this shouldn't be taken literally, anyway. I know that it... See more
is my name, it's Turkish - and I'm a Turkish speaker, indeed, but I wanted to mention this as there are many Turkish names with foreign origins. As far as I know from dictionaries, it means self-existent, a being that doesn't need to be created or even born by any other agent, but whose existence comes from the mere fact that it has chosen to exist. Hmm, a bit complicated, and I don't see how such a thing could be possible, but then maybe this shouldn't be taken literally, anyway. I know that it was my mother who chose my name, and it might be that she knew she would have a hard time with me, and just wanted to rid herself of any responsibility about my existence beforehand Anyway, I like my name, and I like the fact that it begins with a word like 'self' (which in fact is used to mean 'I' in some Turkish dialects).

As for my middle name, Emine, which was my father's contribution because it was a family tradition to name a child after a grandparent -his mother's name in this case- it comes from Arabic Amine, and though I don't know what it means, it's the name of Muhammed's mother. And while I am not religious, I am very proud of having the same name as Muhammed's mother, even if it's just a middle name, one that I don't ever use, because my own child was born on the day that is traditionally accepted as Muhammed's birthday.

Nice off-topic, Seadeta, and I'm sure you are proud of bearing the name of what all people seek all the time The same word has taken the form of Saadet in Turkish, and it's a female name.
Collapse

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Name is just for social identification, nothing else. Sep 11, 2005

Why name is so important? is it not for just identify one among many? Exactly so.And it is human instinct to award a name to anything.It may be human being,may be animal, may be mountain, river or ocean.it is human to name the Pluto,the farthest planet of our galaxy. You may be Tom,Dick or Harry,I have no need of their meaning.If You do any remarkable work,your name will take place in the glossery automatically.There must be a meaning of Nepolean which was known to his parents. But after the dea... See more
Why name is so important? is it not for just identify one among many? Exactly so.And it is human instinct to award a name to anything.It may be human being,may be animal, may be mountain, river or ocean.it is human to name the Pluto,the farthest planet of our galaxy. You may be Tom,Dick or Harry,I have no need of their meaning.If You do any remarkable work,your name will take place in the glossery automatically.There must be a meaning of Nepolean which was known to his parents. But after the death of the great conquerer, the name 'Nepolean' bears only one meaning-the great hero of France. So for Joan which recollects the memory of 'joan of Arc'.
I have also a meaning of my name which brings the god's name from hindu mythology but I am not bother about that.I only know that I am an human being and only work can bring the name in dictionary.
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
My name is Jørgen (not a member of AA :-)... Sep 11, 2005

which is the Danish form of the Low German Iurian, which comes from the English George, which again comes from the Greek saints name Georgius (or Georgós), or Sct. George (who suffered much agony when slaying a dragon to save a princess).

The meaning of the name is apparently agriculturist or farmer. The name has many versions across Europe: George (England/France), Jochen/Jürgen (Germany), Jorge (Spain), Göran (Sweden) etc. There are probably m
... See more
which is the Danish form of the Low German Iurian, which comes from the English George, which again comes from the Greek saints name Georgius (or Georgós), or Sct. George (who suffered much agony when slaying a dragon to save a princess).

The meaning of the name is apparently agriculturist or farmer. The name has many versions across Europe: George (England/France), Jochen/Jürgen (Germany), Jorge (Spain), Göran (Sweden) etc. There are probably many more. Tell me your country's version!

The name is not really popular in Denmark anymore, maybe it's even considered old-fashioned. The golden age was the first half of the 20th century...

I guess that makes me an outdated, dragon-slaying farmer... but at least I get to save a princess) Jørgen
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 06:16
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Georges in French, Jorgen Sep 11, 2005

Sorry, I don't know how to accent the o in the Danish manner, but since you ask for the different versions, I thought I'd point out that Georges takes an s at the end in French.

Nancy

Karine J.
Karine J.
French to German
+ ...
Karine Sep 11, 2005

A name which comes from Latin and means "venerated". Karine or Carine was a martyr.
That´s all what I know and I do not like so much this name.

LindaMcM
LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Swedish to German
+ ...
Origin not clear... Sep 11, 2005

I just found this definition on http://www.behindthename.com :
This name could be derived from several sources. It could be from Spanish linda meaning "beautiful"; it could be a short form of BELINDA or MELINDA; or it could be a short form of Germanic names ending with the element linde meaning "soft, tender".

Well, it could have been worse... My second name seems to mean "bitter"
... See more
I just found this definition on http://www.behindthename.com :
This name could be derived from several sources. It could be from Spanish linda meaning "beautiful"; it could be a short form of BELINDA or MELINDA; or it could be a short form of Germanic names ending with the element linde meaning "soft, tender".

Well, it could have been worse... My second name seems to mean "bitter"

My father was kind of "dedicated" to Elvis Presley at that time but "Lisa Marie" was too obvious...

@Saskia
This is what "Behind the name" says:
Possibly from the Germanic element sachs "Saxon". The Saxons were a Germanic tribe, their name ultimately deriving from the Germanic word sahs meaning "knife".

Linda
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Paola Sep 11, 2005

My very common name comes from Latin (paulus-a-um) and it means small, humble. Small I am indeed, humble not sure

'night
Paola

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:16
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Dinny? Sep 11, 2005

I don't know the meaning of my name... somebody once told me it was Irish and ment "little devil" I'm not really sure of that, although sometimes it's quite fitting, or at least was when I was a kid.

I once thought it was a very special name, I considered it "my own"... the internet has taught me that the world is full of Dinny's, most of them in Ireland, Holland, Indonesia. I wonder how it popped up in Denmark....

Lina Ntaoukaki
Lina Ntaoukaki
Local time: 13:16
English to Greek
+ ...
Evangelia Sep 11, 2005

Here in Greece is common (if not obligatory) to "inherit" our grandmothers' and grandfathers' names.
So my name, composed of two different words, means
'Good/ joyful news'.
I really like my name although sometimes is too long to say.

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
Maryam Sep 11, 2005

I've been told it's the Arabic/Persian version of Mary, mother of Isa/Isaiah/Jesus. I think the meaning is supposed to be “servant of her lord” or something like that. I think my dad chose the name. However the parents for some reason called me by the dimunitive 'May'. I think of myself as May and often do not automatically respond to Maryam.

-may-

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Salve atque Vale Sep 11, 2005

My name is supposedly only the feminine form of Valentinus, from Latin valens "strong, vigourous, healthy".

"Saint Valentine was a 3rd-century martyr. His feast day was the same as the Roman fertility festival of Lupercalia [ahem...], which resulted in the association between Valentine's day and love." states Behind The Name. Not bad, except I never know what a guy means when they whish me Happy Valentine's
... See more
My name is supposedly only the feminine form of Valentinus, from Latin valens "strong, vigourous, healthy".

"Saint Valentine was a 3rd-century martyr. His feast day was the same as the Roman fertility festival of Lupercalia [ahem...], which resulted in the association between Valentine's day and love." states Behind The Name. Not bad, except I never know what a guy means when they whish me Happy Valentine's Day

What I like the most about my name is the oldie My Funny Valentine, especially if sung by Chet Baker or Chaka Khan.

[Edited at 2005-09-11 23:14]
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In Italy... Sep 11, 2005

Jørgen (...) has many versions across Europe (...) Tell me your country's version!

...you're name is Giorgio (yep, like Armani and the parfume)

My bests to your princess

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
Local time: 07:16
English to Spanish
Verónica Sep 11, 2005

I don't really know neither the meaning nor the origin of my name, but Verónica was the lady who dried Jesus' face on Holy Thursday (I don't know if Holy Thursday is the way you call the Thursday before Easter). I happened to be born on a "Holy Thursday", but it wasn't until years later that we learned the story about Verónica and Jesus. This is not exactly the intention of this thread, but I just wanted to share the story with you.

Verónica

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:46
English to Hindi
+ ...
Every Indian name has a meaning...!!! Sep 12, 2005

Well, every Indian name has a meaning, mostly derived from one of the mythological Gods (there are 330 millions of Gods in Hindu Mythology!!)..As far as my name is concerned, "Anil" means the "air" or the "wind".

"air" Goyal

Seadeta Osmani wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Do you know the meaning of your first name? The origin?

How about you?

Seadeta

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the meaning of your first name?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »