Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:41
French to Portuguese
+ ...
It's indeed quite difficult to chose one... Oct 25, 2005

... as there are so many.

I think that at the moment "my song" is "Halleluiah" by Leonard Cohen or Jeff Buckley.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:41
German to Spanish
Somehow... Oct 25, 2005

Gianni Pastore wrote:

"Secret Garden" by Bruce Springsteen. Magnificent lyrics, hypnotizing music... need to say more?

I knew that your choice would not be a Italian song.

Not only the biodiversity of our planet is in danger...

Ciao

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Besame mucho Oct 25, 2005

In the version sung by Diana Krall

Gianni Pastore wrote:

And explain why (if possible...)

No explanations, the title says it all....

Lakshmi Iyer
Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Get On Up Oct 25, 2005

(Sex Machine) by James Brown. Forget Prozac. Put this on, at L-O-U-D volume, and watch your mood swing to Happy.

I can't think of a more beautiful love song than "Ne me quitte pas", as sung by the one and only Jacques Brel.

Gianni, two Italian songs that go straight my heart each time I listen to them, in terms of voice, words and music - "Caruso" by Pavarotti and Dalla, and Francesco De Gregori's "La donna cannone".

Nice topic: thanks!

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Again Tonight Oct 25, 2005

Hard question to answer, but the one that always sends a little shiver up my spine is "Again Tonight" by John Mellencamp. Why? Because during the 1995 baseball season when the Cleveland Indians, my favorite team, won the pennant for the first time in 41 years, that song was played at Jacobs Field in Cleveland after every Indians' victory. Just hearing it takes me right back to that unforgettable time and all the games I went to with my sister.

Right up there with it would be “Ro
... See more
Hard question to answer, but the one that always sends a little shiver up my spine is "Again Tonight" by John Mellencamp. Why? Because during the 1995 baseball season when the Cleveland Indians, my favorite team, won the pennant for the first time in 41 years, that song was played at Jacobs Field in Cleveland after every Indians' victory. Just hearing it takes me right back to that unforgettable time and all the games I went to with my sister.

Right up there with it would be “Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin and "American Pie” by Don McLean.
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Starless Oct 25, 2005

by King Crimson from the album "Red"

or Bach's Goldeberg Variations (that's not fair, because that's a "song" and 30 variations!)

or Miles' "Flamenco Sketches"

or....

or........

or....................

Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
We are all aware... Oct 25, 2005

...that the choice is tough, so thank you for asking this question! Made me replay my favourites in my head and I saw how chioces differ depending on the state of heart, mind, soul...

But out of the blue-- "Isolada", Cesaria Evora, when I'm kind of slow. When I feel like dancing, it's one of the "Habibi" versions by Gipsy Kings.

Looking forward to reading more choices!!!

Seadeta

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Percy Sledge When a man loves a woman ... Oct 25, 2005

When a man loves a woman,
Can't keep his mind on nothin' else,
He'd change the world for the good thing he's found.
If she is bad, he can't see it,
She can do no wrong,
Turn his back on his best friend if he put her down.
He'll spend his very last dime
Tryin' to hold on to what he needs.
He'd give up all his comforts
And sleep out in the rain,
If she said that's the way
It ought to be.
Well, t
... See more
Can't keep his mind on nothin' else,
He'd change the world for the good thing he's found.
If she is bad, he can't see it,
She can do no wrong,
Turn his back on his best friend if he put her down.
He'll spend his very last dime
Tryin' to hold on to what he needs.
He'd give up all his comforts
And sleep out in the rain,
If she said that's the way
It ought to be.
Well, this man loves you, woman.
I gave you everything I have,
Tryin' to hold on to your hot blood long.
Baby, please don't treat me bad.
Down deep in his soul,
She can bring him such misery.
If she is playin' him for a fool,
He's the last one to know.
Lovin' eyes can never see.
When a man loves a woman
He can do her no wrong,
He can never hug
Some other girl.
Yes,When a man loves a woman
I know exactly how he feels,
'Cause baby, baby, you're .
When a man loves a woman....
Collapse

Valentin Alupoaie
Valentin Alupoaie  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:41
English to Romanian
+ ...
ONE Oct 25, 2005

Obviously, the one song is Metallica's "One" ("... And Justice For All", 1988). Was nominated for the Grammy Award in 1989, but lost to Jethro Tull. [Goddamnit!] Has the most flesh-shrinking effect. For those wondering and who still haven't found out, the movie clips in the video are from Dalton Trumbo's movie "Johnny Got His Gun". I wholeheartedly also recommend the version performed with the San Francisco Symphony (best concer... See more
Obviously, the one song is Metallica's "One" ("... And Justice For All", 1988). Was nominated for the Grammy Award in 1989, but lost to Jethro Tull. [Goddamnit!] Has the most flesh-shrinking effect. For those wondering and who still haven't found out, the movie clips in the video are from Dalton Trumbo's movie "Johnny Got His Gun". I wholeheartedly also recommend the version performed with the San Francisco Symphony (best concert ever).Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Il Sol dell'Anima Oct 25, 2005

Good old Verdi - gets me behind the knees every time - reminds me of when I (thought) I was very much in love (but the recipient turned out to be a twerp (like the Duke of Mantua - but that's not Joe Green's fault) ... but "Donna Cannone" is high up on the list, Lucio Dalla's "Canzone", as is the lovely "eu queria cantar eu um fado", Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song" ... and long-since consigned to "Oh no not again" is "Moondance", which has been done to death by Bublé....
Play it again, Gia
... See more
Good old Verdi - gets me behind the knees every time - reminds me of when I (thought) I was very much in love (but the recipient turned out to be a twerp (like the Duke of Mantua - but that's not Joe Green's fault) ... but "Donna Cannone" is high up on the list, Lucio Dalla's "Canzone", as is the lovely "eu queria cantar eu um fado", Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song" ... and long-since consigned to "Oh no not again" is "Moondance", which has been done to death by Bublé....
Play it again, Gian,
Angela

[Edited at 2007-11-12 14:19]
Collapse

Pablo Mayen
Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pop/ classical music? Definitively doable!! Oct 25, 2005

Below my two major pieces:

"One" by U2:)
Johannn Pachelbel's Canon in D major, played by the Berlin Philarmonic Orchestra and conducted by Herbert Von Karajan...sweet!!

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 02:41
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just one? Oct 25, 2005

What about choosing one for each of my languages?

-- "Como os nossos pais", by Elis Regina: Great lyrics with strong political and social comments that fooled the dictatorship in Brazil and made it to the radio as an ode to the family values...

-- "Holding Back the Years", by Simply Red: A personal tragedy turned into a very emotional song that can only be really "translated" by those who know why he's holding back and what he's holding on to.

-- "El Proble
... See more
What about choosing one for each of my languages?

-- "Como os nossos pais", by Elis Regina: Great lyrics with strong political and social comments that fooled the dictatorship in Brazil and made it to the radio as an ode to the family values...

-- "Holding Back the Years", by Simply Red: A personal tragedy turned into a very emotional song that can only be really "translated" by those who know why he's holding back and what he's holding on to.

-- "El Problema", Ricardo Arjona: I realize now that he used to be a little cheesy, but I fell in love with this song a couple of years ago when I first heard it on the radio. It could be just another Latin Lover song, but the lyrics are very powerful and make you really think about relationships not only on the "love-of-my-life" level, but with everyone that you meet in your life and that leave "huellas" in your soul.

P.S.: I love music-related games! Thanks for starting this one. I'll definitely check out your choices, since I cannot work while listening to the silence...
Collapse

Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson
Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Hallelujah, by Leonard Cohen Oct 25, 2005

Whenever I hear this song I have to quit everything I am doing and just enjoy it...Definetly it is my favourite.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pop Goes the Weasel Oct 25, 2005

Cool song.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Tough to say... Oct 25, 2005

I'm having real troubles deciding on the ONE song that I could listen to over and over again and still get goosebumps. I almost suggested "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or "Echoes" by Pink Floyd (my favorite band of all time) or "Down In It" from Nine Inch Nails (almost all of Trent Reznor's songs belong in this category), but I'm going to have to go with

Messiah by George Frideric Handel

(I just can't get enough of that stuff - it's the bomb!)....
See more
I'm having real troubles deciding on the ONE song that I could listen to over and over again and still get goosebumps. I almost suggested "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or "Echoes" by Pink Floyd (my favorite band of all time) or "Down In It" from Nine Inch Nails (almost all of Trent Reznor's songs belong in this category), but I'm going to have to go with

Messiah by George Frideric Handel

(I just can't get enough of that stuff - it's the bomb!).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Song Ever!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »