jfabre  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:06
Member (2013)
German to French
+ ...
Nov 18, 2005

Hello everybody,

My syster is getting married next month in Italy and wants me to be her witness. As I don't speak Italian (but she does), she was going to ask for an interpretor for me until she was told that witnesses on a wedding do have to understand and speak Italian and that no interpretor would be allowed.
This would mean that I would not be albe to be her witness.
Now, I am myself a translator and I can't believe that. Has anybody experience in this field??

Thank you very much for your help!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanna Graziani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
German to Italian
+ ...
absolutely false Nov 18, 2005

My brother got married last year, here in Italy (in Vaglia, near Florence), with a girl from Lebanon. She didn't understand Italian, at that time, neither did her witness (her brother). The major told them they HAD to have an interpreter as they had to sign a document which they were supposed to understand. So I did that (from French to Italian) and had to do it under oath. The municipality itself gave me a special form written on this purpose which I had to sign before interpreting.
Best wishes to the bride and the bridegroom!

Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:06
English to German
+ ...
Interpreter Nov 21, 2005

Sorry to point it out.

Often see translater as well instead of translator

Sweden
Member (2013)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreter... Nov 21, 2005

You're right, of course! Sorry about that !

Sweden
Member (2013)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your experience Nov 22, 2005

Hello Giovanna,

sorry to ask again, but the municipality where my sister is getting married seems to be, well..., not very cooperative. They keep saying that the witness has to understand italian, whithout an interpreter.
Now, do you know if there is a law or regulations about that? I would love to do some research on Internet, but as I do not understand italian, it is complicated! I would be very thankfull for any help!!

Thanks in advance!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpretor for witness on a wedding

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search