Off topic: Fitness & Translation
Thread poster: A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 21:18
Dec 7, 2005

Hi everyone,

As I sit here at my desk on this scorching hot day —it’s 40 degrees out and muggy—, I find myself wondering how other translators keep fit. So I thought I’d do a little survey.

How do you keep fit?

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
a mixed bag of things Dec 7, 2005

A Hayes wrote:

Hi everyone,

As I sit here at my desk on this scorching hot day —it’s 40 degrees out and muggy—, I find myself wondering how other translators keep fit. So I thought I’d do a little survey.

How do you keep fit?

I swim 3 times a week, earlyish, as it gets me out of bed, I'm a night owl, so rarely start work before midday anyway. I also play tennis, except I have an injury now, and am not sure if I will ever be able to risk playing again, summertime I cycle a lot (rather than swim), again earlyish in the morning, and once in a blue moon I go for excursions in the mountains.... I'm a bit lazy in winter though:-(

This level of activity is relatively recent, maybe dating back a year or two, but I find exercise a great way to start the translation day:-)

Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adopt or buy a dog Dec 7, 2005

I have a dog and I feel obliged to take her out twice or three times a day. I have a boxer (female), the only disadvantage is that when she is with me at the office she snores a lot.

A Hayes wrote:

Hi everyone,

How do you keep fit?

[Edited at 2005-12-07 12:24]

Sylvia Scheibe
Sylvia Scheibe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Running Dec 7, 2005

I like running. You don't need a lot of equipment, you can do it any time (although, like Lia, I prefer the morning) and I find it quite relaxing for my back and shoulders.

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Alternatives Dec 7, 2005

I try to reach my toes 50 times every week day. Yes, it is the simplest way I found to relax in the office.

Also, I recently restarted playing golf. I just go to a driving range and hit some balls once a week. I hope I can play reasonably in the future so I can also visit golf courses without losing many balls.

Other past attempts of physical activity include
the gym (a classic);
tennis (hard to find someone to play with in Sao Paulo due to schedule, dist
... See more
I try to reach my toes 50 times every week day. Yes, it is the simplest way I found to relax in the office.

Also, I recently restarted playing golf. I just go to a driving range and hit some balls once a week. I hope I can play reasonably in the future so I can also visit golf courses without losing many balls.

Other past attempts of physical activity include
the gym (a classic);
tennis (hard to find someone to play with in Sao Paulo due to schedule, distances, etc);
rock climbing (had to quit when I got married and started having kids)
Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Running Dec 7, 2005

I run (jog, crawl... depending on how I feel at the time) too, and swim when I can. As we now have snow up here I'm exercising my brain by thinking about getting out my cross-country skis, but to be honest I do prefer running to skiing.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:18
hmmm! Dec 7, 2005

am a gym bunny / swimmer during the summer but I just can't bring myself to do anything during the winter, maybe walking at the weekends.
I do watch what I eat no matter what - no snacking at the desk, 1 litre of water a day, take multivitamins, so it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
I translate !! Dec 7, 2005

since I can't run (former marathon runner) or even walk easily any longer (hip replacement).
Have a good day and keep fit

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Scattering goodies around Dec 7, 2005

A Hayes wrote:
How do you keep fit?

I moved the coffee machine to the basement kitchen and keep my packet sigarettes in the attic - That sums up to several climbs a day

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dog & gym Dec 7, 2005

Hi,
I have a dog who needs a LOT of exercise, so I'm actually out in any weather (cold, rainy and nasty at the moment). Plus I try to make it to the gym 3x a week.

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Belly Dancing Dec 7, 2005

Long sitting and brain fitness hours caused a whole set of problems for me - bad posture, backache, headache, not to mention the ugly picture of my figure... 2 months ago I enrolled to belly dancing classes and my life has changed! I love dancing and I missed the discipline, something to make me dance every day. So now I dance 4 days/week, 1 hour/day, and for the first time in *years* I catch myself being happy for no particular reason.

Find something you love doing (involving physi
... See more
Long sitting and brain fitness hours caused a whole set of problems for me - bad posture, backache, headache, not to mention the ugly picture of my figure... 2 months ago I enrolled to belly dancing classes and my life has changed! I love dancing and I missed the discipline, something to make me dance every day. So now I dance 4 days/week, 1 hour/day, and for the first time in *years* I catch myself being happy for no particular reason.

Find something you love doing (involving physical activity) and just do it

Seadeta
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
new year's resolution ;-) Dec 7, 2005

Ok, I confess...despite being aware that regular excercise is the best way to keep fit, I avoid it like the plague!

I do go sailing at weekends and any time I am free, but that is not enough to keep fit, the activity involved is rather unbalanced musclewise.

So, I have decided that Santa is going to bring me a bicycle this year. I'm going to try (I promise nothing...) to pedal along the seafront - which is just 50 mt. from my flat - for half an hour each morning, and us
... See more
Ok, I confess...despite being aware that regular excercise is the best way to keep fit, I avoid it like the plague!

I do go sailing at weekends and any time I am free, but that is not enough to keep fit, the activity involved is rather unbalanced musclewise.

So, I have decided that Santa is going to bring me a bicycle this year. I'm going to try (I promise nothing...) to pedal along the seafront - which is just 50 mt. from my flat - for half an hour each morning, and use it for short errands like the post-office or visiting friends nearby.

How's that for a new year's resolution? (I'm already exhausted at the thought of it )
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
yoga Dec 7, 2005

I practice yoga once a week with my teacher, and try to practice a bit at home, along with some generic physical exercise. I have a room dedicated to my office, and my cyclette is placed just in front of my desk (so I have no excuses to forget it!)

antonella

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Be happy! Dec 7, 2005

Be happy - it's freezing here in northern Europe!

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 07:18
German to French
+ ...
Freezing here too! Dec 7, 2005

You're lucky that it is warm at your place!
Anyway, to answer your question, I subscribed to a gym and manage to go three times a week.
Other than that, I think having a dog sounds like a great idea!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fitness & Translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »