https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/40711-cancer_prevention_by_getting_some_exposure_to_the_sun.html

Off topic: Cancer prevention by getting some exposure to the sun
Thread poster: Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 28, 2005

As translators, we spend little time outdoors (it happens with me for sure.) Therefore, I find the following link (article) really interesting and useful: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article335359.ece Hopefully it will benefit you as well.

Have a happy day,
Monika...
See more
As translators, we spend little time outdoors (it happens with me for sure.) Therefore, I find the following link (article) really interesting and useful: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article335359.ece Hopefully it will benefit you as well.

Have a happy day,
Monika
Collapse

cisternas
cisternas  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Balance... Dec 28, 2005

Monika,
the article is very interesting. Now, finding the balance between getting enough sun to produce vitamin D and not too much to develop skin cancer it seems to be the problem.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:45
German to English
+ ...
How much sun, how much food? Dec 28, 2005

cisternas wrote:
Monika,
the article is very interesting. Now, finding the balance between getting enough sun to produce vitamin D and not too much to develop skin cancer it seems to be the problem.

And it's unclear how much sunlight exposure you need. There was an item about this in today's "pm" programme on BBC radio 4, starting in the 44th minute of the programme. You can access a recording of it here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/pm/
until it's replaced by Thursday's probably between 1700 and 1800 GMT on Thursday 29 Dec.
The conclusions from these 2 interviews were
(1) Today's published result indicates a good level of correlation but won't be considered by all scientists to be a proof.
(2) It's not so easy to get enough sunlight to give you 1000 IU of vitamin D per day. The journalist Oliver Gillie, who has done the calculation with the help of scientists, said that the government-suggested 15 minutes per day 2 or 3 times per week isn't enough if it's only face, hands and arms - it needs the whole body.
For obtaining dietary vitamin D, here are the amounts (in IU) in 100 grams of some food sources:
raw herring 900
raw mackerel 700
salmon 500 to 650
sardines (canned) 300
tuna patty 15
eel 5000 to 6400
cod liver oil 8500
(and 1000 IU is 25 micrograms)
Oliver

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
It seems I don't have to change anything for me.. Dec 29, 2005

Oliver Walter wrote:
For obtaining dietary vitamin D, here are the amounts (in IU) in 100 grams of some food sources:
raw herring 900
raw mackerel 700
salmon 500 to 650
sardines (canned) 300
tuna patty 15
eel 5000 to 6400
cod liver oil 8500

There seems to be a strong correlation between the healthyness and the yummyness of natural food, too.

Concerning sun light, I am happy with the solarium at the swimming pool. Although it filters most of the carcinogenic rays (which are also responsible for producing vitamin D), they still make up 10-20% of this light, and this on the whole body..

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:45
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Psoriasis Dec 29, 2005

I'm glad (am I?) to be able to contribute something to this topic, because I use to suffer a little from psoriasis and vitiligo. That's related skin diseases resulting in too quick producing of the upper skin layer respectively disappearing of the pigment.
Psoriases gives red spots, whereas vitiligo gives white ones. When you feel blue from having both diseases the combination of your mental & corporal aspects present the tricolor of many nations.

Something more delighting: su
... See more
I'm glad (am I?) to be able to contribute something to this topic, because I use to suffer a little from psoriasis and vitiligo. That's related skin diseases resulting in too quick producing of the upper skin layer respectively disappearing of the pigment.
Psoriases gives red spots, whereas vitiligo gives white ones. When you feel blue from having both diseases the combination of your mental & corporal aspects present the tricolor of many nations.

Something more delighting: sunshine is the best cure against psoriasis. When you suffer much from psoriasis, your health insurar pays the rent / purchase of a sunbed or sometimes trips to warmer areas (compared to the Netherlands) and in the worst case trips to the Dead Sea because salt opens your skin so the sun rays have optimal effect.

Are there any experts around who are familiar with this stuff? Actually I'm looking for information about lamps that produce UVB (ultraviolet light B) that is said to be very healthy, not only to the skin, but for your mental condition, eyes, digestion and whatever.

Such lamps exists. In the first place they are on the market for sunbeds, especially for people with skin diseaes, but next to that they are around for indoor breeders et cetera of birds, especially tropical ones, as well of reptiles and so on, because these animals would neither reproduce nor florish without a certain amount of UVB.

To play it straight: I'm thinking about applying such bulb in my desk lamp. That would be a free and non-timeconsuming treatment of everything that could go wrong in the accumulation of soul and flesh that you find momentarily behind your computer and that's represented by your name.

Maybe a little bit too optimistic. However I found such notions on the internet and I wondered how much of it would be true. If you know German, see for instance http://www.naturlicht.de/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.naturlicht.de/lichtinformationen/

Hmmm ... elixer of life and kind of things. Let's wait a moment before hit the "buy" button.
But seriously, does anyone have knowledge about this matter?

By the way, the survey Monika mentions resulted in The Netherlands to more attention to the need for sun light of elder people, especially the less mobile people in for instance old people's homes:
Come on granny, please leave your knitting a while and take my arm for a beautifull stroll in the snow.

So, if my postings some day would remind you too much of crocodile tears or parroting ... don't blame my but the bulb over my head.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Psoriasis Dec 29, 2005

Henk Peelen wrote:
Something more delighting: sunshine is the best cure against psoriasis.

From 20 years of experience with Psoriasis and solariums (once or twice a week) I can definitly say that it feels good, gives a nice tan and probably produces some vitamin D, but it does not help at all with Psoriasis and moreover it accelerates the aging of the skin.

Even sunshine helps me only when I get a solid sunburn, which is probably based on the same destructive effect as the usual prescription salves.

The only helpful means I discoverd so far are diet, hard physical work (renovating my appartement), or any other stress weakening my over-aggressive immunosystem, as well as to stop smoking (at least for a while)

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:45
Italian to Danish
+ ...
I hope to have found the perfect solution Dec 29, 2005

I've read the articles these last days about the importance of vitamin D as well. Moving from Denmark through a brief (4-years) transition in Italy and now in Crete I hope to have found the perfect solution to spending many hours indoors working but still being able to enjoy the sunshine - it's always here when I have time for it!

Dinny

Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)
Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too, Henk... Dec 29, 2005

I'm also looking for some info regarding ultraviolet light bulbs/lamps. If it happens that you could get any info please, share it.

Seems that I do belong to the reptile or to the bird family for these days have been very tough trying to manage lack of light. Besides, coming from South America (oh, how I miss THOSE skies!) it's difficult not to get a little down when the most part of the day is in a sort of a twilig
... See more
I'm also looking for some info regarding ultraviolet light bulbs/lamps. If it happens that you could get any info please, share it.

Seems that I do belong to the reptile or to the bird family for these days have been very tough trying to manage lack of light. Besides, coming from South America (oh, how I miss THOSE skies!) it's difficult not to get a little down when the most part of the day is in a sort of a twilight around here.

Meanwhile, we're starting next week some sun therapy (sunbed).

And I hope to get some "Dinny therapy" soon, too.

[Edited at 2006-01-01 17:15]
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Psoriasis Jan 1, 2006

[quote]Henk Peelen wrote:

Something more delighting: sunshine is the best cure against psoriasis.

[quote]

Sunshine may not help some people like Harry, but it does in a lot of cases.
My father was a sufferer for a long time. After many years of experimenting in vain with all sorts of remedies, he controlled his condition extremely well by natural sunlight, getting a bit of a tan as early as possible after winter and topping it up regularly. It became a rutine, and his symptoms tended to show only after the winter months in a mild form, when he was able to use the first warmer spring days to start his "cure" again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cancer prevention by getting some exposure to the sun

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »