Off topic: do you travel alone?
Thread poster: Mueen Issa
Mueen Issa  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 30, 2005

Hello all,

If you were to travel on a vacation, and you could not find a company, would you travel alone?

I have not done this before, that's why I am asking you for your opinions. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
I do... Dec 30, 2005

Marhaba,

I have and I do enjoy it a lot. But, then I am a loner and like to travel alone because I don't have to follow anyone else's itinerary, likes and dislikes.

Also, it gives me the chance to mingle with the locals and make new acquaintances. Usually, they also show me the other side of the place I am visiting, the non-tourist one.

But, then, as I said - I am a loner by nature and enjoy doing this alone and to feel independent.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!!

Salamat,
Nadia

Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 17:58
Member (2005)
English to German
Go visit someone nice Dec 30, 2005

http://www.proz.com/topic/40013

Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
did it once! Dec 30, 2005

i am one of those people who never wanted to be alone - i would not even be on time when meeting friends in a bar, just to avoid being the first one to come and to sit alone!

anyhow, few years ago i went to work abroad and was alone in the new area! first thing i did alone was to go and see a movie! it was not that bad - i did feel uncomfortable and a bit strange, but the movie was great and i had a lot of pleasure seeing it without a friend comenting in the meanwhile!

the next step was to have a coffee alone and that went well!

i made some friends and the summer was approaching, so i was hoping to go for a break with some of them, but they all had their plans already made and i was - alone!

so... instead of dispearing, i went alone! i sat in my car, took my credit card and went towards the sea side! it was great! i found a great little spot, with a grat beach and not too many people and a few restaurants.

i must tell you - i have rarely been alone at the beach and never alone for dinner!

i am still reluctant in being and going alone - but... i am sure i will repeat the experience!

all the best, d

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
uplifting Dec 30, 2005

Thank you all, that was really uplifting.
I've been trying to arrange for a vacation in the past few motnhs, but it did not work out because of busy schedule and friends' schedule too.

Ricki, thank you for the string. I knew about that feature at proz, but never used it and just forgot all about it.

It's good to know there are fellow loners out there in the world, or those who were forced into being loners and came out well from this experience..

But now, do you think working for a couple of hours while on vacation is an acceptable thing to do? I can take my laptop with me and do some work, I don't know...

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
do you travel alone? Dec 30, 2005

One of the best travel books I ever read was entitled "Who Travels Alone". Has anyone else read it? The author travels from Trieste to Madagascar, shortly after the war. It is NOT the book by Frank S. Greenop with the same title.

As a student, I hitch-hiked over large parts of Europe alone. Those were the days! Travelling with other people, I don't feel as though I'm really travelling.

Marc

Catherine Reay  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
leave the computer at home! Dec 30, 2005

Dear Mueen,

Like Nadia and co. I would recommend travelling alone as you will see a different side to the places you visit. But my main reason for commenting is to urge you to leave your laptop at home. Time away from the computer is very important for our sanity (mental as well as physical!!) If you can I would also suggest you leave your mobile phone behind as well, although perhaps for safety reasons that is not so easy to do.

Have a lovely journey and let us know how it went when you return.

Regards,
Katy

Marcela García  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
It´s fun! Dec 30, 2005

I few years ago I travelled alone to Sweden, which is a safe and well organized country. I had a great time.

I also travelled alone all over Canada when I was in college and it was lots of fun, I visited friends in different cities and really enjoyed myself.

It´s a great experience.

However, if I have to choose, I like travelling with my husband, share experiences, meals, laugh together...

Marcela

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am experiencing something Dec 30, 2005

Catherine Reay wrote:

Dear Mueen,

Like Nadia and co. I would recommend travelling alone as you will see a different side to the places you visit. But my main reason for commenting is to urge you to leave your laptop at home. Time away from the computer is very important for our sanity (mental as well as physical!!) If you can I would also suggest you leave your mobile phone behind as well, although perhaps for safety reasons that is not so easy to do.

Have a lovely journey and let us know how it went when you return.

Regards,
Katy

I sometimes feel mentally exhausted, maybe because of the fact that I spend 14 hours on the computer?

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do Dec 30, 2005

I do travel alone, though i prefer to do it with friends.
Dinners are difficult to me.

Happy New Year

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Leave that computer at home! Dec 30, 2005

a vacation is a vacation is a vacation

scooty
English to French
it depends Dec 30, 2005

Yes, I travelled quite a lot alone. But I guess, it also depends where you're going. Travelling alone as a woman can be difficult in some parts of the world, I guess.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
the advantage Dec 30, 2005

I travelled alone when I was younger, whenever there was noone around to come with me....

The BIG advantage of travelling alone is that you meet more people and are more likely to have adventures through meeting strangers than if travelling cocooned as a couple or trio. It's inevitable, firstly, becuase you will feel the need of company more, and secondly, becuase people alone, tend to attract 'attention' so to speak.

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly Dec 30, 2005

Lia Fail wrote:

I travelled alone when I was younger, whenever there was noone around to come with me....

The BIG advantage of travelling alone is that you meet more people and are more likely to have adventures through meeting strangers than if travelling cocooned as a couple or trio. It's inevitable, firstly, becuase you will feel the need of company more, and secondly, becuase people alone, tend to attract 'attention' so to speak.

It is much easier when you are young and restless, like a university student, I travelled to Malaysia and met so many excellent people there.. but now, I cannot see myself doing this.
too old, maybe

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience Dec 30, 2005

I am a lucky person: I have travelled a lot, but...always with my couple and/or with Leticia (my daughter). A friend of mine used to travel by himself and I ... felt sorry for him, but he insisted that it was a great experience.

A couple of months after my divorce I travelled alone for the first time in my life. I went to my friend's wedding in Colombia. I felt awful when I was making the plans: who would I share my plans with? later, who would I talk about my experiences with? I felt miserable and my daughter opened the first door to a new possible reading:

Mum, think of this: you ALONE in the duty-free shop! I will not be nagging all the time and asking you to buy me this or that, and XX will not be limiting your time! Enjoy your freedom!

The experience was a good (thought strange) one. From Bogotá I flew to Cartagena were I did the things I loved doing: taking thousands of pictures, scuba-diving and snorkelling and buying souvenirs for my family.

It is another way of travelling.

Au

[Edited at 2005-12-30 15:39]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

do you travel alone?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search