Off topic: Pimsleur: efficient?
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:27
Flemish to English
+ ...
Dec 31, 2005

Does anybody have any experience with the Pimsleur method? How good is it? (www.pimsleur.com)

Direct link Reply with quote

Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 01:27
Member (2005)
English to German
It depends on the person Dec 31, 2005

It doesn't work for me, I absolutely need grammar tables and systematic learning. It works great for some other people I know, who are more of the intuitive kind.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:27
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skeleton Dec 31, 2005

Same here. By staying in Ukraine with a friend of mine for a month, I learned a lot of Russian vocabulary and some Ukranian vocabulary, but the structure of the language is something I will have to learn by studying a grammar.
After all, semantics and syntax are the skeleton of a language.

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
excellent results Dec 31, 2005

I learned Italian using the Pimsleur method, doing a 1/2 hour lesson when I walked the dog in the morning. Taken for what it is -- making a good tourist out of you, capable of chatting up the locals a bit -- it's excellent and easy.

Cheap it's not though, unless your local library has it for loan.

Maciej Pomorski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
Great method! Jan 3, 2006

Learning foreign languages is my hobby and Pimsleur turned out to be a very efficient method to me. The point is that you use the language instead of learning about it, and you use it in situations that you can easily find in a foreign country.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pimsleur: efficient?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search