Off topic: Moving to London
Thread poster: Olga Simon

Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2006

My husband and I might be moving to London in the next 6-8 weeks, therefore I started getting organized and would highly appreciate if someone could help me with the following questions:

1) Housing - is it a better deal to try to find a rental through the web, to contact an agent when in London or maybe look at some newspapers (which ones?)?

2) Does the quoted rental price include any possible taxes or do they have to be added later? What about utilities (gas, water)- are they usually included in the rent (flat fee) or is it usually based on the consumption?

3) How much is a cubic meter of water, natural gas and kWh of electricity?

4) Since my husband is the one who might be getting a job offer, I will have to start looking for a job there (not necessarily translation). Any advice on newspapers that publish job ads?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:35
French to English
Moving Feb 18, 2006

Hi Olga,

Re housing: you can look on the internet to get an idea of prices. There are a number of agencies. Usually the rent does not include anything else. You have to pay council tax on top of the rent. You also have to pay for electricity, gas, and water. I don't know the exact price but for a house I pay about £30 a month for gas, the same for electricty and about £25 for water.

If you find a place through an agency, you will have to pay one month's rental to the agency as their fee. You will also have to pay three months' rent as a deposit. The agency will probably do a credit check on you and if you are new here they will refuse you unless you already have a job contract. The way I got round that when we moved here from France was to pay 6 months rent in advance, then they accepted me as a tenant.

Life in London is VERY expensive. You may want to look at suburbs quite far from the centre as they will be cheaper.

For jobs, I think there is an evening paper in London called the Evening Standard with jobs. The big daily newspapers have jobs sections on particular days of the week, mainly higher paid or management level though.

Good luck!

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Job ads Feb 18, 2006

Hi Olga,
The Guardian on Saturday has a good selections of general job ads - you will also find more sector specific job ads on different days of the week, e.g. media on Monday, public sector on Wednesday etc. From my experience, the best way to find a job in London, especially if you are multilingual, is by subscribing to online job alerts and by registering with employment agencies. Try the following:
http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.toplanguagejobs.co.uk/
http://www.justlondonjobs.co.uk/
You might also want to do a google search on "language recruitment agencies in London." Agencies can be a real pain, sometimes they contact you to sell a dead-end job in the sticks as the golden opportunity of your life, but then again it depends how you manage your relationship with them. Feel free to drop me an email, if you've got more questions about life and work in London. I've been living here on and off since 1995 and still like it - despite the horrendous living costs, traffic jams, poor quality of housing etc.
Best of luck
Katharina

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
English to German
Do you speak German, by any chance? Feb 19, 2006

Hi Olga,

Do you speak German, by any chance? There is a website called "Deutsche in London" (Germans in London), which, among many other things, has an extensive selection of forums and a list of forums addressing all sorts of aspects regarding living in the UK.

The site is completely in German but I'll give you the link to the forum overview page, in case it is useful: http://deutsche-in-london.net/forum/index.php?sid=77af77cac8ed175bd6ec4aaafaae083e

Good luck,

Rebekka

xxxbedelvia
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
MOVING TO LONDON Feb 19, 2006

Dear Olga Simon,

I was living in London for four years and in my opinion you should not contact an agent there, if it is just for renting because it is quite expensive comparing to the people who have tried to find a house in this way. I would recommend you to look in shops and newsagents, because usually people place advertisements of rentings or in The Evening Standard and other newspapers.

Usually, they will ask you for a deposit in case there is any damage to the house, and you will also have to pay two months of rent in advanced. There are some places where you do not have to pay the utility bills, because they are included, but in other places you will have to pay them. Gas is not very expensive, it is cheaper than in other places, as well as the water, but I am not sure about the exact price.

To find jobs, you could check in www.thisislondon.co.uk where you also will find more information about any other topics, and once you are there, once you are in London you could check in jobcentres and if you search in google you will be able to find more information. Usually you will be able to get a free newspaper in the underground called metro, where you will be able to find jobs. In the Evening Standard you can also check for jobs.

And this is something I recommend you, transport is quite expensive, it is better you buy a travel card for bus, there are weekly and monthly. It is something similar in the underground, and bus is cheaper than underground but you need to be travelling more time there and do some transfers.

I hope this is useful for you, and if you need any other kind of information I will try to provide it for you.

Olga Simon wrote:

My husband and I might be moving to London in the next 6-8 weeks, therefore I started getting organized and would highly appreciate if someone could help me with the following questions:

1) Housing - is it a better deal to try to find a rental through the web, to contact an agent when in London or maybe look at some newspapers (which ones?)?

2) Does the quoted rental price include any possible taxes or do they have to be added later? What about utilities (gas, water)- are they usually included in the rent (flat fee) or is it usually based on the consumption?

3) How much is a cubic meter of water, natural gas and kWh of electricity?

4) Since my husband is the one who might be getting a job offer, I will have to start looking for a job there (not necessarily translation). Any advice on newspapers that publish job ads?

juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Moving to London Feb 19, 2006

Regarding accomodation, first of all you should find out, where is your husband's workplace is going to be.
London is very large, transport is expensive, and takes time. So you should focus on areas which are easily accessible for going to work.

Be prepared to take a temporary accomodation for a month or two, to give you time to find something suitable.

Work is adwertised in practically all newspapers, some of them have certain days for certain type of work.

If you would like to discuss anything (in Hungarian, if you like), please feel free to contact me direct by email.

Üdv
Judith

Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:35
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Feb 19, 2006

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted in this forum and wrote to me personally! I really appreciate your help and advice. We still have a few weeks before the actual move would take place, therefore I have some time to do research and get prepared. I will follow the piece of advice I got and will not contact real estate agents. I also appreciate links to newspapers where I can look for jobs.

Probably within a few days I will generate some more questions about life in London so I might show up at this forum again))

Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday!
Olga.

juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Estate agents. Feb 19, 2006

I would not discount them. It depends on the level of accomodation you are after, and your luck, to find something reasonable without them.
You may have more choice, security and certainty if you go through them.

If your husband has a job, they can provide references, and you shouldn't have any problem with extra long deposit or that kind of thing.

You have to be here to get the feel of the place to find something you are comfortable with, that's why I said you may need temporary accomodation first.

By the way, electricity is around 6,3 pence/kWh, gas is around 1,9. You have a choice of suppliers. Luckily, spring is coming.

Water and sewerage rates can add between £20 and £30 a month, so does council tax, but that depends a lot on the property. Sometimes these are included in the rent.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to London

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search