Off topic: The first member ever on proz.com
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:13
English to German
Mar 1, 2006

I've been working since 7 am and my brain has turned to mush - yawn. That's my excuse anyway for coming up with this. I was talking to myself and heard myself uttering: "I wonder if there is a proz member with the Proz ID no. '1'. "

Of course, there is! And who else would it be but Henry himself! What's puzzling, though, is that according to his profile, he's only been a member sind July 2004.

Better
... See more
I've been working since 7 am and my brain has turned to mush - yawn. That's my excuse anyway for coming up with this. I was talking to myself and heard myself uttering: "I wonder if there is a proz member with the Proz ID no. '1'. "

Of course, there is! And who else would it be but Henry himself! What's puzzling, though, is that according to his profile, he's only been a member sind July 2004.

Better get back to work now before I lose the will to live, eh work, I mean...

[Edited at 2006-03-01 16:51]
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A simple explanation :) Mar 1, 2006

Dear Rebekka,
There is a difference between a "member" and a "user". A member is any user of ProZ.com who pays a ProZ.com membership.
A user is anyone who is registered with Proz.com, but does not pay any membership.

As far as Henry being a member since July 2004, this is because he started to pay for his own membership in July 2004 and since then, has has paid it continually

HTH,
Monika

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Better get back to work now before I lose the will to live, eh work, I mean...

[Edited at 2006-03-01 16:51]

[Edited at 2006-03-01 18:15]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:13
Slightly off the topic Mar 1, 2006

Today I noticed the little sentence under the members name that indicates since when they have been members, and I think that is a very good feature.

Several times, when looking at profiles for different reasons, I have asked myself the question of "how long has this person been a member?". Now, I have the answer! Thanks!

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:13
English to Romanian
I'm puzzled... Mar 1, 2006

Monika Coulson wrote:

As far as Henry being a member since July 2004, this is because he started to pay for his own membership in July 2004 and since then, has has paid it continually

I wonder why should Henry pay for his own membership?
Don't get me wrong, but I just don't see the point

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
write-off Mar 1, 2006

He wants to write this off as a business expense, ha, ha, ha

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
German to English
+ ...
Henry paying for membership Mar 1, 2006

Maria Diaconu wrote:

I wonder why should Henry pay for his own membership?
Don't get me wrong, but I just don't see the point

There's a limit to what else you can do with 12,962 browniez, I suppose.

Marc

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:13
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I still remember the moment :) Mar 1, 2006

I mean there was a forum thread 2 years congratulating Henry with becoming a platinum member at last Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread.

Someone noticed his name in `Welcome New Platinum Members!' field. ROFL

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Kirill Mar 1, 2006

I remember that too

Monika

Kirill Semenov wrote:

I mean there was a forum thread 2 years congratulating Henry with becoming a platinum member at last Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, everyone... Mar 1, 2006

... but I must confess, I've rigged the system. I skim fractions of browniz from other members (the old rounding-off trick), and then I use them to purchase membership at a deep discount.

Thanks for noticing my profile, Rebekka. I am proud to be the first translator to have joined this community.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
The first member ever on proz.com Mar 1, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Did they also notice that in his profile, "Henry's web site" points to www.proz.com?

Marc

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
So, is that why ex oriente lux? Mar 2, 2006

Most people owning the first few dozens of profiles are from Japan. It seems the idea of Proz.com was born there, is it so, Henry?

Kirill, the topic you mention is here.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Özden. Mar 2, 2006

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Most people owning the first few dozens of profiles are from Japan. It seems the idea of Proz.com was born there, is it so, Henry?

You're guess is correct, Özden. We built ProZ.com out of an office in Tokyo.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The first member ever on proz.com

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »