Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: Which country/city/village would you like to move to?
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 11:05
English to Croatian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2006

Dear colleagues,

Just daydreaming:

Suppose you had a chance to choose a country/city/village on our Planet to move to, which one would it be?

I'm trying to make some decisions myself, so... any (un)reasonable examples of wishing and decision making would be sooo interesting to hear!

Seadeta

María Roberto (X)
María Roberto (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Manuel Antonio Park Mar 19, 2006

http://www.manuelantoniopark.com/mapk/english/photogallery.html

Seadeta Osmani wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Just daydreaming:

Suppose you had a chance to choose a country/city/village on our Planet to move to, which one would it be?

I'm trying to make some decisions myself, so... any (un)reasonable examples of wishing and decision making would be sooo interesting to hear!

Seadeta

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 03:05
English to French
+ ...
Honolulu Mar 20, 2006

or right outside the city, a house on the beach.

RB Translations
RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Dreams come true Mar 20, 2006

I have always dreamt about living somewhere in Australia, close to the beach and at one point last year I decided it was time to make my dream come true...so here I am and loving it. Would not trade Sydney for anywhere else in the world.

...Then again, if I won the lotto and did not need to work I would probably spend six months a year here in Sydney and six months a year somewhere in the South of Portugual or Spain...

Olivia MAHÉ
Olivia MAHÉ  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
IRELAND! Mar 20, 2006

Anywhere, over there...

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 06:05
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

I did London Mar 20, 2006

And never regretted it.

My dream had always been to live in the big city... and I did, for two years, in my early 20s.

Now I'm back in Canada, with dairy cows and corn fields for neighbours, and I wouldn't trade it.

However, all I need to do is watch a film, read a book set in England or review my own pictures from that time, and I'm transported, in my imagination... As I say, I've never regretted my moves.

Go where the spirit takes you!
... See more
And never regretted it.

My dream had always been to live in the big city... and I did, for two years, in my early 20s.

Now I'm back in Canada, with dairy cows and corn fields for neighbours, and I wouldn't trade it.

However, all I need to do is watch a film, read a book set in England or review my own pictures from that time, and I'm transported, in my imagination... As I say, I've never regretted my moves.

Go where the spirit takes you!

Nancy
Collapse

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
for when I retire Mar 20, 2006

I'd love to move to Christchurch, NZ.
Don't ask, why....

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
France Mar 20, 2006

Home is where heart is... and mine is in France...

Too bad that it's so difficult to be there without making everything official!!! So I do the next best thing... I try to go there quite often.

Guess, it'd be cheaper to go and settle there once and for all... considering my phone bills

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:35
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Palakkad, my birthplace Mar 20, 2006

I have come a long way from there and with every step I take away from it, I feel the pull of my birthplace stronger.

For those unfamiliar with Indian geography, Palakkad is situated on the border between Tamilnad and Kerala, two south Indian states. It has a lively population of TamBrahms (Tamil Brahmins, of whom I am one too). They speak both Tamil and Malayalam, being Tamils settled in a Malayalam speaking area.

Kerala would be known to those who have travelled to In
... See more
I have come a long way from there and with every step I take away from it, I feel the pull of my birthplace stronger.

For those unfamiliar with Indian geography, Palakkad is situated on the border between Tamilnad and Kerala, two south Indian states. It has a lively population of TamBrahms (Tamil Brahmins, of whom I am one too). They speak both Tamil and Malayalam, being Tamils settled in a Malayalam speaking area.

Kerala would be known to those who have travelled to India as God's Own Country. It is an idyllic, slow-paced, coastal state with a very pleasant climate and highly-educated population. The people are simple, argumentative, religious and communist (well, quite a few of them; Kerala has the distinction of having the first democratically elected communist government in the world!).

Being a high caste Hindu, one of the major attractions of Kerala for me are the fabulous temples there -- Guruvayur, Payani, Madapalli Kavu and a number of others. Their annual festivals with pomp and paegent, caprisoned elephants, fireworks, feasts and the chariot (rathyatra) are too otherworldly to miss.

I am currently in Gujarat, a western Indian state of a completely different milieu. It is the land of Mahatma Gandhi, an arid state with an entirely different culture. Although I have learned to like Gujrati culture in the 20 years of my residence here, I still miss Palakkad, my birth place and dream of going and settling there one day!
Collapse

Ina Wilms (X)
Ina Wilms (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
Canada Mar 20, 2006

I would love to live in Canada, somewhere near the coast. I'm just not quite sure wether at the East or West coast. But I love the idea of sitting at the beach and watching the whales.
And all that gorgeous nature all around.

olivier saint germes
olivier saint germes
Spain
Spanish to French
+ ...
SPAIN Mar 20, 2006

Because Spain is different!

I'm living here, by the way.
I took the decision to move nearly 10 years ago, and nearly every day I'm happy I did it... Maybe the fact that now I have a little french / spanish daughter helps.....
Wherever you go, your hapiness is in you, don't look for it in strange places.

Olivier

Laura Barbieri
Laura Barbieri  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Barcelona - Catalunya Mar 20, 2006

My dream is to live in Barcelona, the liveliest city I've ever seen... My man is from there, so who knows, may-be one day my dream will come true. Meanwhile, I'm just happy to visit it now and then...

Mark Xiang
Mark Xiang
Local time: 18:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Any Virgin Forest Area Mar 20, 2006

So long as there is daily necessity supply, plus a telephone line with DSL access.

^_^

Mark

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
Some cities Mar 20, 2006

1 Yorba Linda, California. Southern Cal and the weather...:)
2. Vancouver
3. Malta, a fiscal paradise within the E.U. (low taxes).
4. A provincial Chinese city.
5. A provincial Japanese city....
6. Vinnitsya, Ukraina.

[Edited at 2006-03-20 14:13]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Denmark Mar 20, 2006

Or San Diego...

Anywhere more progressive than Italy at this point in time

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which country/city/village would you like to move to?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »