https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/44434-%22minor%22_health_problem_struggle_on_or_indulge_in_necessary_rest.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: "minor" health problem - struggle on or indulge in necessary rest?
Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:17
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 30, 2006

What do you do when you go down with "minor" health problem (migraine, flu, nasty cold,...)? Struggle on because duty calls, or indulge in necessary rest?

I'm currently down with a nasty cold and all it yucky symptoms.
Reason tells me I should take the opportunity to tuck myself in bed with a good book - luxury!
Duty tells me I cannot afford it, I have deadlines looming ahead and every hour for the next so many days is already accounted for. (ok, bad management on my p
... See more
What do you do when you go down with "minor" health problem (migraine, flu, nasty cold,...)? Struggle on because duty calls, or indulge in necessary rest?

I'm currently down with a nasty cold and all it yucky symptoms.
Reason tells me I should take the opportunity to tuck myself in bed with a good book - luxury!
Duty tells me I cannot afford it, I have deadlines looming ahead and every hour for the next so many days is already accounted for. (ok, bad management on my part, no buffer time)
Then reason comes in again and tells it's not luxury at all, it's actually sound preventive measure to avoid it getting worse and eating up even more of my time...

Had I been in an office job, I would have phoned in sick.
Why is it so hard to do this when you are your own so-called boss?

Roberta
[etchoo!]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Gesundheit/ bless you/ na zdrowie! Mar 30, 2006

Take one day off to do a crash cure (vitamin C, garlic, aspirin - whatever works best for you).

Chances are, with your head stuffed up, the quality of your work will be lower and you will have to spend extra time checking that batch anyway.

Then again - if you're well enough to read a book...

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

colds in spring time are the worst - my sympathies.

... See more
Take one day off to do a crash cure (vitamin C, garlic, aspirin - whatever works best for you).

Chances are, with your head stuffed up, the quality of your work will be lower and you will have to spend extra time checking that batch anyway.

Then again - if you're well enough to read a book...

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

colds in spring time are the worst - my sympathies.

[Edited at 2006-03-30 10:04]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Feeling of duty... Mar 30, 2006

... I complete everything I have promised, but reject anything new. Problem is, I do feel that I have a kind of personal relationship with my customers, and I don't want to leave them in the lurch. When rejecting new requests, I ask the caller if they want a list of potential alternative translators. I suppose the long-term solution would be to network, pass half-done assignments on to another translator and crawl into bed - at least unless the client objects.

Feel better!
Ric
... See more
... I complete everything I have promised, but reject anything new. Problem is, I do feel that I have a kind of personal relationship with my customers, and I don't want to leave them in the lurch. When rejecting new requests, I ask the caller if they want a list of potential alternative translators. I suppose the long-term solution would be to network, pass half-done assignments on to another translator and crawl into bed - at least unless the client objects.

Feel better!
Ricki (major, periodic breakdown of nervous system right now, can't walk to the nearest supermarket, but stuck with a big rush assignment - but I never phoned in sick to my inhouse job while I had it, the sense of duty was the same...)
Collapse

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Local time: 10:17
English to Italian
+ ...
Salute! Mar 30, 2006

Roberta,
being "always on call" is one of the problems of working for yourself, as many people (I include myself in the category) find it difficult to switch off or draw a line between private time and work time. But think of the perks! Being able to work in one's pijamas (a favourite of mine), to go for a swim in the middle of the day and catch up with work at night, to be available if your child is ill, etc. This and much more is what being your own boss means.
I too work often wi
... See more
Roberta,
being "always on call" is one of the problems of working for yourself, as many people (I include myself in the category) find it difficult to switch off or draw a line between private time and work time. But think of the perks! Being able to work in one's pijamas (a favourite of mine), to go for a swim in the middle of the day and catch up with work at night, to be available if your child is ill, etc. This and much more is what being your own boss means.
I too work often without buffer time, simply because sometimes it is not an option. I always hope for the best, but, in case the worse happens and I am unwell, I tend to soldier on as much as possible, and try and assess which are the deadlines that can be pushed and those that must absolutely be met. I usually find that the PMs are understanding, particularly if you have worked for them for a long time, so I would not worry too much about the odd deadline that you cannot meet because you are sick. I would suggest that you do a bit of work, to minimize the impact, and keep a clear conscience, and you will see that, magically, other deadlines that looked imperative suddenly become more flexible, you will keep the clients, and will not have anything to regret.

And can I suggest you take regularly some Echinacea... It strenghtens the immune system, and truly makes a difference to the number of colds per year when is taken as a preventative measure.

Get well !
Giuliana
Collapse

Agnieszka Zmuda
Agnieszka Zmuda  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Had the problem a couple of days ago Mar 30, 2006

After I had just received a 21-page text to be translated, I got struck with all the symptoms of flu (fever, dizziness, shivering, pain in every single little bone of my body etc). Frankly speaking, I was completely unable to tell night from day for some 30 hours, not mentioning reading anything. Luckily, the job was not a "rush" one, which allowed me to stay in bed for two days and to make it up during the next ones. I was still unwell and that was reflected by the number of questions asked at ... See more
After I had just received a 21-page text to be translated, I got struck with all the symptoms of flu (fever, dizziness, shivering, pain in every single little bone of my body etc). Frankly speaking, I was completely unable to tell night from day for some 30 hours, not mentioning reading anything. Luckily, the job was not a "rush" one, which allowed me to stay in bed for two days and to make it up during the next ones. I was still unwell and that was reflected by the number of questions asked at KudoZ) but I managed to meet the deadline as I have always done so far. Just my luck in these circumstances that no other job came along...

[Edited at 2006-03-30 10:50]
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just my case last weekend Mar 30, 2006

Due to really appaling time management I had only weekend to finish two projects (well, I had friends visiting, my daughter was ill all the week so it was not all my fault but still). Unfortunately I was struck down with a cold on Friday , so I took that day off, Saturday did not improve but I struggled on with work. Sunday was the day when in other circumstances I would have delgated the childcare to my husband and snuggled up in bed with my laptop... and Pride and Prejudice (I love watching f... See more
Due to really appaling time management I had only weekend to finish two projects (well, I had friends visiting, my daughter was ill all the week so it was not all my fault but still). Unfortunately I was struck down with a cold on Friday , so I took that day off, Saturday did not improve but I struggled on with work. Sunday was the day when in other circumstances I would have delgated the childcare to my husband and snuggled up in bed with my laptop... and Pride and Prejudice (I love watching films on laptop). I felt so miserable, and was really toying with the idea of telling the clients I will be late. But my conscience won and I finished the projects (although I still am not sure if I was right by not including note that work was done by a delirious translator).
If you had plenty of time to finish the work and left it to the last moment, then I think you should soldier on. Still, we all are humans and you are right - had you worked in the office, you'd call in sick. I suppose it depends on just how rotten you feel (and how good is the book!!!).

Get better and cheer up,
Ines

[Edited at 2006-03-30 11:16]
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try this home remedy Mar 30, 2006

Hi Roberta,

The choice is yours, but I agree it is a difficult one.

In your place I would have pulled along till I dropped

BTW, try this tested home remedy and you will get immediate relief from coughs, colds, blocked nose, etc.

Add one spoonful of turmeric powder to one cup lukewarm milk and one spoonful of sugar. Stir well till they all dissolve well. Drink this before you reti
... See more
Hi Roberta,

The choice is yours, but I agree it is a difficult one.

In your place I would have pulled along till I dropped

BTW, try this tested home remedy and you will get immediate relief from coughs, colds, blocked nose, etc.

Add one spoonful of turmeric powder to one cup lukewarm milk and one spoonful of sugar. Stir well till they all dissolve well. Drink this before you retire for the night. While drinking, let the milk roll in your mouth so that it touches all the sore points such as the roof, tongue, inner cheeks and deep into the throat.

You will feel immediate relief. As a precautionary measure you can make it a habit of taking this every night and you will be relatively safte from coughs, colds and throat infections.

This is also a confirmed remedy for painfull mouth sores. If you drink turmeric milk daily, you will never get them, and if you already have them, they will heal sooner than they will otherwise.

This is a scientific cure, for turmeric has proven anticancerous properties.

Traditionally, turmeric is applied to wounds in India, both for humans and animals (such as for treating yoke-gall) and it acts as an antiseptic.
Collapse

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pity, Roberta... Mar 30, 2006

But do not hesitate. Tuck yourself up in bed without guilt. Relish the rest. Think of those things you never have time to.
Take Balasubramaniam's turmeric milk, and you'll feel great sooner than expected. You'll be so happy, that you'll translate at a much faster speed

The body is always first.

Get well soon.

Claudia

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
BTW, Balasubramaniam Mar 30, 2006

Got my child with a sore throat and flu, and I've been goog-searching your "turmeric", but can't come up with the word in Spanish. Is that "cúrcuma"?

Claudia

Ivona Tillett
Ivona Tillett
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
Health first Mar 30, 2006

I had ignored my “minor” health problem until I had to be rushed to the A&E. I wouldn’t do it again…

Take care of yourself.

[Edited at 2006-03-30 17:50]

eVerbum (X)
eVerbum (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
English to Romanian
+ ...
Yes, it is curcuma ;) Mar 30, 2006

claudia bagnardi wrote:

Got my child with a sore throat and flu, and I've been goog-searching your "turmeric", but can't come up with the word in Spanish. Is that "cúrcuma"?

Claudia

This is what I found in the online edition of Merriam Webster:

"Main Entry: tur·mer·ic
Pronunciation: 't&r-m&-rik also 'tü-m&- or 'tyü-
Function: noun
Etymology: modification of Middle French terre merite saffron, from Medieval Latin terra merita, literally, deserving or deserved earth
1 : an East Indian perennial herb (Curcuma domestica syn. C. longa) of the ginger family with a large aromatic yellow rhizome"

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
masochist? Mar 30, 2006

I´m porbably a bit of a masochist, and have a family to feed,
but I work, unless I´m on my deathbed...

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
French to English
Health always #1 Mar 30, 2006

If you can organize your schedule to fit in rest, then do it. There's nothing worse than trying to do anything that requires brainwork when you're sick. Don't accept any offers that come in because you'll never get the rest you need. And take advantage of the fact that your bed is just in the next room!

Hope you feel better soon!

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I understand but... Mar 30, 2006

If the cold gets worse then you won't be able to work so take your time, relax and you'll find that it is better a break
now than antibiotics in a couple of weeks. Illnesses in general are favoured by stress so you should take care...

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This remedy is excellent for children Mar 30, 2006

claudia bagnardi wrote:

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

The turmeric treatment is excellent for small children.

Here is what I found on www.answers.com

A widely cultivated tropical plant (Curcuma domestica) of India, having yellow flowers and an aromatic, somewhat fleshy rhizome.

Español (Spanish)
n. - cúrcuma, azafrán de las Indias

As I don't know Spanish, I can't comment on the accuracy of this term.

Here is the full link to the page:

http://www.answers.com/turmeric

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"minor" health problem - struggle on or indulge in necessary rest?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »