Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:24
Member (2007)
English to Italian
May 4, 2006

All you folks sick of being phoned up at any time from Project Managers all around the world just can't miss on this.

I have already ordered two!

http://www.stupid.com/stat/PHXC.html

Many many thanks to Rob for opening my eyes. I was blind and now I see

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Funny! May 4, 2006

While I will not buy the device, I found looking at the variuos silly objects presented in the site you listed very amusing and relaxing, there is no end to human imagination...
The only people who really bother me on the telephone are thse who advertise something, but I get rid of them by saying that I am not interested, then adding "good evening" or "goodbye"...and hanging up before they have the time to take their breath again.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Thank you very much! May 4, 2006

Thanks a lot Gianni for this invaluable product! I will surely buy two of these tools - one for office and one for home. Finally a solution to get rid of those annoying calls.

And what do you think about the Kung Fu Hamster? http://www.stupid.com/stat/KUNG.html

Or the Marie Antoinette action figure with ejector head? Lots of real crazy stuff around...
See more
Thanks a lot Gianni for this invaluable product! I will surely buy two of these tools - one for office and one for home. Finally a solution to get rid of those annoying calls.

And what do you think about the Kung Fu Hamster? http://www.stupid.com/stat/KUNG.html

Or the Marie Antoinette action figure with ejector head? Lots of real crazy stuff around

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Dunno about you, Erik... May 4, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

Or the Marie Antoinette action figure with ejector head? Lots of real crazy stuff around

... but I am going to spend an AWFUL LOT of money in the next few weeks. Another must-have item can be found here:

http://www.stupid.com/stat/SHDY.html

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Two?? May 4, 2006

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Now that gets me stumped. I can quite see why one of these gadgets would easily become an invaluable companion to keep handy at all times.

But why would one want two of them? “Excuse me, the cops are coming to jail me and at the same time the static of cosmic rays make it hard to hear you - ??”

P.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Gotta go... May 4, 2006

No need to spend any money, just say "boy, that food I had for lunch today sure didn't agree with me, gotta go"! There could be sound effects for that too, but they're not needed.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:24
English to French
+ ...
A good laugh... May 5, 2006

While this product is a good laugh, I don't see the need for it.

I find it easy to hang up on people, and those that are not easy to hang up on, well, this device will not work with anyways. They are usually repeat offenders and, well, they probably will not believe that you have a crying baby ALL the time or that you get chinese food delivered EACH day. They will probably not tell you, but they will be frustrated by this - and that doesn't help business relations.

I ha
... See more
While this product is a good laugh, I don't see the need for it.

I find it easy to hang up on people, and those that are not easy to hang up on, well, this device will not work with anyways. They are usually repeat offenders and, well, they probably will not believe that you have a crying baby ALL the time or that you get chinese food delivered EACH day. They will probably not tell you, but they will be frustrated by this - and that doesn't help business relations.

I have a client who likes to spend two hours at once talking about the weather, while I'm doing rush translations for them, and this person actually keeps me from sleeping at night. Once, I told her that I was cooking and that my food was going to burn, but she just kept going. Another time, I told her there was someone at the door - to no avail. This same person, when I phone her to ask for late payment, tells me they are too busy and don't have time to talk on the phone. Do you honestly believe this product would work with such people?

I find the best thing for this is the classic tools - an answering machine and call display. When I work, I NEVER answer the phone. If the caller really needs to speak to me, they will leave a message, which I can hear as they leave it, live. Thereupon I can decide whether I need to call them back right away.

I have also started "conditioning" my clients to send me e-mail instead of phoning me. When you speak to someone on the phone, they can take 15 minutes to elaborate on a simple iidea or message. Now, I am not sure they feel like TYPING fifteen minutes worth of blabla... I tell them that I am always closer to my computer than to my phone, that I am much easier to reach through e-mail, and eventually, I prove this to them. Saves me a whole lot of time - and I don't bang my head in the wall each time the phone rings.

[Edited at 2006-05-05 02:35]
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
That's simple, Pete May 5, 2006

Peter Bouillon wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Now that gets me stumped. I can quite see why one of these gadgets would easily become an invaluable companion to keep handy at all times.

But why would one want two of them? “Excuse me, the cops are coming to jail me and at the same time the static of cosmic rays make it hard to hear you - ??”

P.

...just in case the first breaks down. Actually, I better buy an intere box of this gadget. You'll never know, won't ya?

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I can see clearly now... May 5, 2006

Gianni wrote:

Many many thanks to Rob for opening my eyes. I was blind and now I see

That explains it, I was wondering what had happened to my glasses...

Roberta

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Supporting your native economy? May 8, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

Thanks a lot Gianni for this invaluable product! I will surely buy two of these tools - one for office and one for home.

Go on Erik, admit it. You only want two because they are clearly supplied by Ikea, as can be seen from the colour scheme.

Bästa hälsningar
Chris

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
Can't use it :-( May 18, 2006

What a wonderful idea. What a pity I can barely use it. Reasons:

1) We don't have a doorbell. No kidding.

2) With DSL, there is never static.

3) We live in such a remote place, there is never a police siren.

4) I don't have a baby. But maybe I could use my cat?

5) Remote place = no police sirens = no car crashing

6) Yeah, someone knocking on the door could work...
See more
What a wonderful idea. What a pity I can barely use it. Reasons:

1) We don't have a doorbell. No kidding.

2) With DSL, there is never static.

3) We live in such a remote place, there is never a police siren.

4) I don't have a baby. But maybe I could use my cat?

5) Remote place = no police sirens = no car crashing

6) Yeah, someone knocking on the door could work
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You MUST buy this!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »