Off topic: French Alps in September (Vercors and Ecrins) - where to stay?
Thread poster: Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:59
May 29, 2006

Hello,
One week in Vercors and one week in Ecrins in September - that is the rough plan . What localities in each of these Parks would make the best starting point for one day trips on foot?

Thank you in advance for suggestions

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
This may help May 29, 2006

http://www.vallouise.info/gites-refuges.htm

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Albert, May 29, 2006

I have actualy seen this site - it is indeed one of the most useful (another good one was Rando Gites site). Maybe you have a suggestion from your stay in these regions?

Thanks!

Piotr

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
For Vercors May 29, 2006

www.autrans.com
I was there long ago so I don't really remember the names of the places where I stayed.
If you need to translate any letter from English into French, I will be happy to do it for you (for free of course).

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! May 29, 2006

This Vercors site is new to me - great source of information!

Maybe I could use your help - that is nice to know that the helping hand is somewhere there. My French (basic spoken mostly...) is rather long forgotten (last time I used it in France was 1989

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Gites de France May 30, 2006

Hello Piotr

"Gites de France" is the most comprehensive organisation for that type of accomodation, especially in moutain areas. You also have a certain "warranty" of quality, in fact I've rarely been disappointed with them.

Unfortunatly, I've never been in the regions you mention. But if you take the time I think you can find what you need on that site.

Basiccaly there are two options.

Either you choose a week in a "Gite rural" (or best a "cha
... See more
Hello Piotr

"Gites de France" is the most comprehensive organisation for that type of accomodation, especially in moutain areas. You also have a certain "warranty" of quality, in fact I've rarely been disappointed with them.

Unfortunatly, I've never been in the regions you mention. But if you take the time I think you can find what you need on that site.

Basiccaly there are two options.

Either you choose a week in a "Gite rural" (or best a "chalet d'alpage", if you prefer isolated situations), and from them you go walking around.

Or you plan a foot trip and stay each night in a different "gîte d'étape" (in a gîte d'étape, you can't stay more than a certain number of nights, perphaps just one, I d'ont remember. You sleep in commun rooms with other travellers).

Other options are camping (aire naturelle are small campings in more isolated places) and chambres d'hôte (you are by the inhabitant).

Hope all that is clear enough. Don't hesitate to ask more explanations, I will answer if I'm able to +:)

http://www.gites-de-france.fr/fr/index.htm

Last indication: those accomodation are certainly already full for this summer. But for september you may find. If more are full and if you can, try to go the last two weeks of september, there will be much less people.
Collapse

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rene! May 30, 2006

Thank you for this comprehensive information, I have already established some contacts with owners of very interesting accomodation places in Ecrins.
Hope the weather in September is sunny and warm in the French Alps

Best regards,
Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French Alps in September (Vercors and Ecrins) - where to stay?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »