Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:42
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
May 29, 2006

I received this today and I had to share it with you. (My comments in bold)

My dear greetings, [Yes, my dear greeting]

I wish you the best in life, how are you? I hope you are fine likewise your family, I hope also this mail will find you well and healthy, My dear you may be suprise of reading a message from me since we don't know each other before. My name is Mrs. Linda Jerom, from Republic Of Cote D' Ivoir, (Ivory Cost -Abidj) [What's an ivoir and h
... See more
I received this today and I had to share it with you. (My comments in bold)

My dear greetings, [Yes, my dear greeting]

I wish you the best in life, how are you? I hope you are fine likewise your family, I hope also this mail will find you well and healthy, My dear you may be suprise of reading a message from me since we don't know each other before. My name is Mrs. Linda Jerom, from Republic Of Cote D' Ivoir, (Ivory Cost -Abidj) [What's an ivoir and how much does it cost?], i got your contact through my serious research from Senegalese chamber of commerce.
[The Senegalese chamber of commerce has my contact info? Impressive. Too bad this required serious research. You could have gotten it more easily online (e.g. from ProZ).]

If you are conversant with news about africa you will quite know about the problem facing my country for years now, I am a young widow, my husnabd was among the canbinet members incharge of our agriculture. My husband was killed along with some members of the cabinet by the rebels who were fighting against the regim of our President ( Lauran Gbagbo) [would that be Laurent, or is it another president?], on their way returning from meeting which was held in the northern part of our country which was the area the rebels camp. In respect of my letter, i want you to know that my late husband kept a deposit in europe under the name of my only son, as the beneficary of the deposit, I and my son,we are now in Dakar Senegal where we seek assylum as refugees, of which i want you to help me retrive the deposit from the firm company where it was deposited in europe. US$2.500.000.00 Us.Dollars.

I have been in contact with them to know on how they will release/transfer the deposit to us, they made me to understand that due to our statues as a refugee, I have to nominate or present any person of my wish who will stand on our behalf before they release the deposit to us through our partner that I will present to them, although the firm company did not know the content of the deposit,my husband did not allow them to know that the content of the deposit was money, he declear it as as family valuable item and african arts for safe keeping of the deposit, to avoid query about the source.

Now i am contacting you with due respect and will be happy you stand as our nominated partner [I'm honored! I should thank the Senegalese chamber of commerce for giving her my contact info after her serious research] in order for the firm company in europe to release/transfer the deposit to your position/location in order to handle the successful transfer of this money, it is inside a truck box [yikes! Will the truck be transferred as well?], also to enable me and my son to leave here and join you for proper care of our health and investment [join me? Will I have to host them? Well, I hope they like Boston. I wonder, will they bring the truck?]of the money under your care and guidian. I will furnish you the contact information of the firm company in europe as soon as you send me your home or office address, phone and fax numbers, i need your cooperation to secure this deposit which is as it stands now, the only hope of our survival, I have lost my husband, coupled with our situation of insecurity as a refugee here, Life is no more the same with me and my son after all the lot we have gone through.

I will also like you to tell me the persentage % you may like to take from the total money US$2.500.000.00 Us.Dollars. Really my mail to you is a cry for help to see us out from this horrible prison called refugee camp [They have internet access at the horrible prison called refugee camp, so I should reply by e-mail, right?] we are living today as a result of the untimely death of my husband may his gentle souls rest in peace. [Yes, may they rest in peace, all 5 souls of his]

I wait to read back from you soon ( [email protected] ).
Best Regards,
Mrs. Linda Jerom.

I'd like to ask for 90% of the money. Do you think that's too much?
Collapse

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:42
English to Greek
+ ...
HAHAHAAHAHAHA... May 29, 2006

Maria,

You just struck your pot of gold. If you need help, let me know.

)

Nadia

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way, Nadia May 29, 2006

I'm not sharing! That money is mine. If the Senegalese Chamber of Commerce gave that woman MY info, that means I'm special. Unless you're willing to drive the truck and host the woman and her son.
Maria

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:42
English to Russian
+ ...
They have fax machines, too.. May 29, 2006

After so many many email messages like this I recently received one sent to my eFax number at Yahoo. Fax machine access at a refugee camp? Oh, almost forgot, let me know if you need any help with this money - I am a great spender.

Maria Flora Caronni
Maria Flora Caronni
Local time: 15:42
English to Italian
+ ...
New yacht.... May 29, 2006

Dear Maria, of all the experimented ways to earn money without "sweating" this is one of the funniest...I think I'm going to try it. Who knows..! In case it works you are invited on my yacht!

Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Italian to English
Philosophical Spam May 29, 2006

I got one once that in the first paragraph had the memorably existentialist line, "you may be surprised to hear from me since we did not know ourselves before." Indeed.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 06:42
English to French
+ ...
90% is not enough! May 29, 2006

Dear Maria,

Did you factor in all the duties and other costs of importing a truck from Cote d'Ivoir through Senegal and the horrible refugee camp?

The Senegalese Chamber of Commerce should also pay you a fee for advertizing their resources -see what a little serious research can yield?- to an international audience.

Don't let them exploit you! Your services are worth way more than that measly 90%!

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Wondering... May 29, 2006

sarahl wrote:

Dear Maria,

Did you factor in all the duties and other costs of importing a truck from Cote d'Ivoir through Senegal and the horrible refugee camp?

The Senegalese Chamber of Commerce should also pay you a fee for advertizing their resources -see what a little serious research can yield?- to an international audience.

Don't let them exploit you! Your services are worth way more than that measly 90%!

I'm still wondering about the "US$2.500.000.00 Us.Dollars" kept by her "late husband" in Europe "under the name of my only son, as the beneficary of the deposit". Hmmm. Where is all this money from? Hmmm. Why under the name of her only son? Hmmm...

Poor dear

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Kalimera Vostoni ;-) May 30, 2006

Nadia Fahmi wrote:

Maria,

You just struck your pot of gold. If you need help, let me know.

)

Nadia

Maraki,

I would be happy to drive the truck and host the young widow of the cabinet member in charge of agriculture and her young son...

I only wonder, will I be able to drive the truck out of the bank safe? Is its large enough to drive the truck out? Boy these banks will do anything for a fee, even safekeep trucks inside their safes...

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
I wish there were a way to cheat them instead! May 30, 2006

Several years ago, when these kinds of messages began to circulate, I heard that several people actually fell for it and lost a lot of money. I wish we could come up with a fool-proof way to reap those bad people and cash in a lot of money. We could then give it to "real" refugees! Any savvy people on board?

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
419eater.com May 30, 2006

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:
I wish we could come up with a fool-proof way to reap those bad people and cash in a lot of money. We could then give it to "real" refugees! Any savvy people on board?

There are people who "bite" the bait of these scam emails and get the scammer to send pictures to prove his identity etc., and you can see a lot of them in the Trophy Room on http://www.419eater.com plus you can read more about this type of scam.

This type of scam is called 419 Nigerian fraud - 419 is the number of the law in Nigeria that forbids these crimes.

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
dead giveaway May 30, 2006

I got a very similar offer last week, but what really gave them away (as if it weren't the whole letter) was at the end, when they sought my help in investing their money in 'my country'. Then I knew they had no idea who (or where) they were approaching.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New spam - quite funny

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »