Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Talk about a client with nerve! I dare you to top this.
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 17:47
French to English
+ ...
OK it's dumb but.... Jun 27, 2006

My brother's father-in-law is a big entrepreneur and one of his customers had difficulty paying his bills, so he offered a superb 25-metre yacht instead.
Well, since the guy was clearly not able to pay otherwise, the father-in-law cut his losses and took the yacht.
My brother and his family (and ourselves on a family visit) really appreciated it.
Bargaining is as old as the hills. It still exists today. It is all a question of relative values. Obviously a free meal (especially
... See more
My brother's father-in-law is a big entrepreneur and one of his customers had difficulty paying his bills, so he offered a superb 25-metre yacht instead.
Well, since the guy was clearly not able to pay otherwise, the father-in-law cut his losses and took the yacht.
My brother and his family (and ourselves on a family visit) really appreciated it.
Bargaining is as old as the hills. It still exists today. It is all a question of relative values. Obviously a free meal (especially if you're on a diet) will not pay your gas or electricity bills but it is a perfectly honest way of doing business.
Let's to be too naive ! The word 'no' still exists to save us!
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Barter trade Jun 27, 2006

CMJ_Trans wrote:
Bargaining is as old as the hills.

Barter trade, you mean...?

Sure - barter trade is fine as long as you are sensibly able to use the stuff you're offered (or if you would have or want to buy it anyway - see my post).

But offering lunch and having you pay for half of it... That reminds me of an old Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, where one of them says to the other: "Hey, if you lend me a dollar, I'll buy you a comic book."

P.A.S.

[Edited at 2006-06-27 11:39]

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
bartering.... Jun 27, 2006

ooppsss - slip of the finger....(or was it Freudian)?
But my point remains valid - if a big car manufacturer offered me a new car in lieu of payment.... or the SNCF offered me free rail tickets for life... dream on...

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 10:47
English to Russian
+ ...
About lending a dollar:-) Jun 27, 2006

A poor guy comes to a rich villager to borrow a dollar untill next fall.

- OK, - says the lender, - but you'll have to pay back 2.

- Well, I must get through the winter, so I have no choice

and he take a dollar and approaches the door to leave.

- Listen, I understand how hard it will be on you to pay a whole 2 dollars in fall, right?

- Sure it will be...

- I'll help you - why don't you give me a dollar now so you'll
... See more
A poor guy comes to a rich villager to borrow a dollar untill next fall.

- OK, - says the lender, - but you'll have to pay back 2.

- Well, I must get through the winter, so I have no choice

and he take a dollar and approaches the door to leave.

- Listen, I understand how hard it will be on you to pay a whole 2 dollars in fall, right?

- Sure it will be...

- I'll help you - why don't you give me a dollar now so you'll only have to pay 1 in fall!

- Oh, thank you so much!

Collapse

JackieMcC
JackieMcC
French to English
a sack of potatoes ! Jun 27, 2006

Many years ago when I was starting out as a freelancer and happy to get any type of client I agreed to help a local farmer with a few phone calls and faxes to the UK.
I was pretty taken aback when he asked me whether I preferred cash or a sack of potatoes as payment !! (I took the cash)
Jackie

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Once did a barter job - didn't regret Jun 27, 2006

It was a DVD player in return for a short user guide.
Still working!

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
another user of the barter system Jun 27, 2006

I once offered my translation services (on an as-needed basis) in exchange for a sizeable (40%) reduction in tuition fees. Best deal I ever made: the work I actually ended up doing was valued in the hundreds while the tuition discount added up to thousands...a lot better than a free lunch

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Barter, barter everywhere Jun 27, 2006

I proofread a document for a client of mine for a large jar of coffee flavor ice-cream (don't laugh, I am very fond of the stuff).

Alas, I am still waiting for the ice-cream. It has been a month now. They might still need to produce it.

We all learn. Maybe I should not complain. My waistline surely thanks me.

Lucinda

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:47
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
My point exactly Jun 27, 2006

PAS wrote:

Sure - barter trade is fine as long as you are sensibly able to use the stuff you're offered (or if you would have or want to buy it anyway - see my post).

[Edited at 2006-06-27 11:39]

I was willing to consider it; after all, I cut my rates 50% for the translations I do for a church and I do pro bono work for an attorney that represents immigrants. It must not be all about money, and I have my soft spot. But lunch with a perfect stranger? What sort of barter is that? What makes this person believe that I would benefit or experience any "pleasure" out of having lunch with her or, for that matter, that having lunch with her would equal the value of the effort, knowledge and work that I would put into her translations?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I just want to add to Luisa's post above Jun 27, 2006

Perfectly right. But to top it off, the client offers HALF a lunch. It comes down to paying for your own lunch.

So, here's basically what you get: lunch where you pay for your own food and meeting up with a stranger.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAA!

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reality Jun 30, 2006

Welcome to the world of professional translators Luisa. Congrats on passing the ATA exam.

Belkis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Talk about a client with nerve! I dare you to top this.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »