https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/51414-any_colleague_living_in_ireland.html

Off topic: any colleague living in Ireland?
Thread poster: smarinella
smarinella
smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:31
German to Italian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2006

I'd like to ask something for my son to a colleague living in Irland.
My son just finished the high school and would like to attend an intensive English course in Ireland. He's an adoptive teenager, shy, not self confident, naive, in one word younger than his age. I'm a little bit worried because it's his first experience alone.

Do you have any suggestions for a good school? Or do you know a family or a serious institution in Dublin or Cork or Galway where he can live (he woul
... See more
My son just finished the high school and would like to attend an intensive English course in Ireland. He's an adoptive teenager, shy, not self confident, naive, in one word younger than his age. I'm a little bit worried because it's his first experience alone.

Do you have any suggestions for a good school? Or do you know a family or a serious institution in Dublin or Cork or Galway where he can live (he would like to study and work, but this would be too much) and makes himself useful in a 'healthy' atmosphere and at the same time attend a really intensive course of good quality?

For me, it isn't a question of money, I'd like to find a nice place for him and a good school
Thanks for any suggestions!
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 22:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Just a link Jul 16, 2006

http://www.educationabroad.twoworldsunited.org/education_ireland.html

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
choose a small town or village Jul 16, 2006

smarinella wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for a good school? Or do you know a family or a serious institution in Dublin or Cork or Galway where he can live (he would like to study and work, but this would be too much) and makes himself useful in a 'healthy' atmosphere and at the same time attend a really intensive course of good quality?

For me, it isn't a question of money, I'd like to find a nice place for him and a good school
Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi

I don't live in Ireland but as a former teacher, I have heard plenty of stories of experiences abroad, especially in Irl and the UK. I have also worked in summer schools in Ireland and teh UK.

It's difficult that someone will give you a name and address, I wouldn't for example, becuase experiences can be very subjective...and imagine how one could feel if your experience turned out to be bad.

My only advice is to look for a small rather than a big town or city, in fact the smaller the better. There are a number of obvious advantages, and teh experience ultimately is more enriching as the opportunities for becoming 'involved' in small town life are better, and so teh learning experience and even the learning is better.

A long long time ago a student of mine ended up in London and hated it, so we arranged for her to go to a small fishing village in the SW of Ireland, where classes were arranged for her with a nun (midday Angelus thrown in), she read at Mass on Sunday, was interviewed for local radio, not to mention being called on to sing Spanish songs in the local pub. It all cost her more, but she became great friends with the family (they even arranged for an antique to be shipped back from Cork to Vigo - free - on the trawler of one of the local fishermen) ....

In my own experience as well, there's no better way to learn about a country and its people and language than going to a small town or village.

Katja Bell (X)
Katja Bell (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try this .. Jul 16, 2006

Hi,

try this: http://www.limerickse.com/Home.htm

Parents of a friend of mine run this, maybe it's what you're looking for ?

I went abroad when I was 20 (quite a bit older than your son I imagine but still), shy, naive, no self-esteem, and it was the best thing I ever did. Maybe you are just a little over-protective and your son will be just fine...
See more
Hi,

try this: http://www.limerickse.com/Home.htm

Parents of a friend of mine run this, maybe it's what you're looking for ?

I went abroad when I was 20 (quite a bit older than your son I imagine but still), shy, naive, no self-esteem, and it was the best thing I ever did. Maybe you are just a little over-protective and your son will be just fine Ireland is a great place, I lived there myself for 4 years.

All the best,

Katja
Collapse

smarinella
smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I actually wanted to ask to an Irish colleague.... Jul 17, 2006

Dear all,

many thanks to everybody for the suggestions. Yes, I agree that a small place is better than a big town, that's why I was not thinking of London or even Dublin. And every school is good or bad depending from the quality and experience of the teacher is you're learning from.

The main point, for me, is the accomodation because Dimitri, my son, insists that you wants to work in order to cover himself part of the costs. So, the idea was to find a place where he
... See more
Dear all,

many thanks to everybody for the suggestions. Yes, I agree that a small place is better than a big town, that's why I was not thinking of London or even Dublin. And every school is good or bad depending from the quality and experience of the teacher is you're learning from.

The main point, for me, is the accomodation because Dimitri, my son, insists that you wants to work in order to cover himself part of the costs. So, the idea was to find a place where he can sleep free of charge by helping a couple of hours in the afternoon - and the whole week end. A family with many children, for instance, or a small institution (handicapped children, youth association, something connected to the church and so on). He loves small children above all and has a lot of patience with them.

Does any Irish colleague have an idea? In or around Cork, Galway, Limerick. I have found in all these towns some English courses. Maybe there are others in other towns, too.

Of course I can call oor write myself if somebody gives me an address. Italian kids stay longer kids than Germans, for instance and this is the first time he's leaving home...

Once more, thanks in advance for any idea or address
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:31
Limerick city Jul 17, 2006

Forgive my bias here, as it is my native city

Limerick would be a good place to go because:

1 - 30 miles away from Shannon airport

2 - Close to the wonderful scenery of the West (Kerry, Clare, Galway)

3 - There is a care centre in Limerick city called Milford Hospice. AFAIK, he couldn't sleep there but because it
... See more
Forgive my bias here, as it is my native city

Limerick would be a good place to go because:

1 - 30 miles away from Shannon airport

2 - Close to the wonderful scenery of the West (Kerry, Clare, Galway)

3 - There is a care centre in Limerick city called Milford Hospice. AFAIK, he couldn't sleep there but because it is in Castletroy (University District), he'll get cheap accomodation very easil. He'd only be 15 mins away from the city centre by bus. There are lots of shops and supermarkets in the area if he wants to get a part-time job. He could also try St Vincent's Centre in Lisnagry as well (also in Limerick)

4 - Lots of young people in Limerick, he'll definitely meet people if he's willing to make the effort.

Live-in jobs are pretty rare, unless he applies for au-pair jobs.

HTH

Orla
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

any colleague living in Ireland?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »