Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: What car do you drive? And what do you fancy?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:34
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Aug 21, 2006

Ok this is a easy one. Your nosey fellow translator (i.e.: me) wants to know what car do you currently own and which one you fancy. And before you answer, since your chances of winning the lottery is the same as guessing the telephone number of the first cab driver you could hire in NY (actually, less than that), no Ferraris, Bentleys and the likes are allowed. Keep your feet on solid ground

Me now: Toyota Yaris
Fancy: the new Volvo C30 (gooorgeous!)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
French to English
+ ...
I'm a green tree-hugger, and yet I pollute the environment in my... Aug 21, 2006

...wonderful little Citroen C3. I love my car, and don't plan on changing it until I absolutely have to. It's only three years old, though.

My ideal car would be the design classic, the Citroen DS - the most beautiful car ever to grace this planet.

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:34
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
just dreaming Aug 21, 2006

.. as I have no car at the moment but would love to have a lovely Fiat Panda or Lancia Ypsilon. Nothing too fancy but would make me happy for sure

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dodge Ram Pickup Aug 21, 2006

Diesel powered, 4X4, heavy duty throughout. Goes everywhere, carries everything, will pull anything. Serves as a hotel in emergencies. Never quits.

Also has fairly good fuel economy for something so big.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Renault fan Aug 21, 2006

since ever. Started with an R4, then owned several R5s. Have now a Twingo.

I ever dreamt of a Porsche 911. But maybe nowadays, with the gasoline prices... better a PT Cruiser?
Also a Citroen Deesse would be marvellous, as says Jeremy, but I think it still would consume too much and it needs so much space....

Michèle Ménard  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Not driving yet Aug 21, 2006

... but I fancy a small, solid car - as I live in Rome, a big car would be almost useless.

langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
My car... Aug 21, 2006

.... a Fiat Punto. Bought it "fresh from factory" 3 years ago (before I had an Opel Astra Caravan, 130 HP), and with a diesel motor. Should never have done this (sorry Gianni) as I live in Turin and can't afford a garage. The car body by now has been ruined... dai soliti che non lasciano biglietti... But this is something completely different.

The engine is really a good one. The finishing leaves something to be desired, but OK.

What do I fancy? A subcompact-size car with a relatively "unexpensive" but efficient engine like that in terms of motor vehicle tax, a decent finishing, a fair price, a station wagon type style (like the old VW Polo) - I have a rather big dog to carry around.

There's not much of a choice in the market, I'm afraid...

If I didn't have a dog and didn't have to care too much about pretrol prices (and if I did have a garage ), I'd like to drive a Peugeot 307 Cabrio (convertible). Or even more, a BMW Z3. For pure fun. But as for now, boot capacity would still be a problem when driving up to my family in Germany

[Edited at 2006-08-21 21:41]

Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Agree.. Aug 21, 2006

Michèle Ménard wrote:

... but I fancy a small, solid car - as I live in Rome, a big car would be almost useless.

... and the body repair shop far too expensive

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:34
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

A mini-van and a pickup Aug 21, 2006

Mother of three 6 and under (and a fourth in the not-too-distant future, we hope) drives a

1999 Chevy Ventura ext. cab. Perfect people-mover, roof rack , 7 removable passenger seats, very handy in case the

1987 Dodge Dakota needs repair, as it does now, so that my husband can carry on with pick-ups and deliveries (for Johnothan's Upholstery).

These both have 6-cylindre engine, an adequate compromise between performance and ecology.

My dream? A newer ext. cab van and a newer pick-up truck for Johnothan, although the new pick-up truck must also now have the space cab or crew cab, whilst the box must remain extra-long (for those 4-seat French Provincial couches).

And for the future, when I am no longer Mom's taxi...

in this year's models, a Buick sedan, for comfort.

I believe that European and Japanese models are higher quality with better mechanical performance but the American models come out on top where comfort is concerned

Great topic! It's interesting to see the different views from around the globe (as usual on ProZ.com)

Nancy

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Japanese sports cars Aug 21, 2006

I own a Mitsubishi FTO which I love and don't think I'll ever change until it's scrapped, and also drive my hubby's Toyota MR2.
I'd fancy a Mitsubishi Evo for the weekends and some track fun.
And although I'll probably never own one, I've driven two Ferraris and they were amazing
You must have realised by now, I'm a bit of a car nutter!!

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
I dont have a car, but... Aug 21, 2006

Sometimes I drive my husband's Mazda Protege 5 (beautiful, efficient, little car). What would I like to buy? A convertible Mustang!

Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Comfort vs. performance Aug 21, 2006

NancyLynn wrote:

I believe that European and Japanese models are higher quality with better mechanical performance but the American models come out on top where comfort is concerned

American models are surely on top where comfort (but "what comfort"?) is concerned. It's a known issue that American clients attach much greater importance to the comfort thing (and not as much to "technical" features as Europeans do).

Only that some of these "comfort values" like "a lot of space" (and therefore heavier vehicle weights for example) have also a "cost" in terms of gasoline. And gasoline in Europe is extremely expensive due to gasoline taxes.

Then, the market - as I said - is completely different.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Work-horse Aug 21, 2006

What I've got now:
Mitsubishi L200 4x4 turbocharged 2.6-litre diesel pick-up. Rough and ready for Chile's dirt roads and for humping animal feed and such-like to and from the farm.

What I'd like:
Another Mitsubishi L200 etc. etc., but with air-conditionning.

What I had previously:
Back in Belgium, from where I moved 3 years ago, I still have, sitting in the garage, a V12 5.3-litre Jaguar XJ12 of 1989 vintage, purchased in the good old days when I could afford to run such a thing.

It's for sale, if anyone's interested! Come to that, the garage and accompanying house are for sale too. Buy the house - the Jag comes free. How's that for an offer? All enquiries to:

MediaMatrix

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
My feet are on solid ground Aug 21, 2006

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Ok this is a easy one. Your nosey fellow translator (i.e.: me) wants to know what car do you currently own and which one you fancy. No Ferraris, Bentleys and the likes are allowed. Keep your feet on solid ground

Me now: Toyota Yaris
Fancy: the new Volvo C30 (gooorgeous!)

Currently: Skoda Octavia II 2.0 TDI PD Elegance. Goes like s**t off a shovel, very comfortable and sticks to the road like glue...

Fancy: Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640. http://www.seriouswheels.com/2006/2006-Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP640-FA-1024x768.htm

Ma bene

But. Same company, old chap. Volkswagen AG.

Ciao

Chris

Susy Ordaz  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A Family Car Aug 21, 2006

I´ve had my Volvo S40 for five years now and it has never let me down. Very reliable and because I have three girls there is plenty of space for everything. It´s not cheap pn gas though.

What I´d fancy? That would probably have to be a Mercedes SLR 722 Edition...a girl can dream can´t she?

Cheers!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What car do you drive? And what do you fancy?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search