Thread poster: biankonera
biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:24
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2006

Ive noticed one thing about the forums - especially different native language ones - that I find interesting: there are native language forums bursting with activities while there are those that remind me of small kingdoms of silence.

Of course, native language does determine at some level the way we are but is it really only about the languages we all speak?
So, being a curious one, I wanted to find out what other prozians think on this matter....
See more
Ive noticed one thing about the forums - especially different native language ones - that I find interesting: there are native language forums bursting with activities while there are those that remind me of small kingdoms of silence.

Of course, native language does determine at some level the way we are but is it really only about the languages we all speak?
So, being a curious one, I wanted to find out what other prozians think on this matter.

Stella
Collapse

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
Russian to English
+ ...
National character figures in Oct 1, 2006

Surely the national character figures in... I noticed long time ago (kinda a truism) that different nations have different degrees of friendliness and are prone to communication to a different degree. Then we also need to remember that depending on the country's economic condition, representatives or some countries may have more or less access to computers and internet. The following factor is also important: what proportion of population of a country lives in the West, where such access is poss... See more
Surely the national character figures in... I noticed long time ago (kinda a truism) that different nations have different degrees of friendliness and are prone to communication to a different degree. Then we also need to remember that depending on the country's economic condition, representatives or some countries may have more or less access to computers and internet. The following factor is also important: what proportion of population of a country lives in the West, where such access is possible and their language skills are used). Then it also depends on the size of the country! People from former Soviet Union, the largest country in the world, also heavily represented abroad, have a very vibrant virtual community, with people knowing each other personally for some time and truly enjoying each other (or sincerely dislike, for that matter). Finally, some languages, like French, for example, are shared by many countries.Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There are other ways of communication besides Proz Oct 2, 2006

Finnish freelancers use an own mail-exchange list extensively, but on Proz.com only few of us post in the forum or use Kudoz.
If they all would move to Proz the Finnish forum would become the most active of them all. But the system here is rather awkward to use, so many restrictions.
Also the German community is rather quiet, compared to Russian or Spanish forums. I haven't found out yet, where the Germans communicate, but at yahoo are some German groups.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

under the language spell

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »