https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/57204-the_nigerian_scam_moves_to_the_eu.html

Off topic: The Nigerian scam moves to the EU
Thread poster: PAS
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2006

Received this some time ago:

Hello

I am Edward HuntI am 14 years old I live in Manchester(UK) before my father died, now I live with my mother in Ireland. my father is from Manchester UK and my mother is from Ireland. My late father Mr. Hunt Martin has a big Real Estate company in Manchester before he died in a car accident last year July 25th 2005. he left 10 Million (Ten Million Pounds) in his account before he died. The 10Million millions is in (Union National Bank U
... See more
Received this some time ago:

Hello

I am Edward HuntI am 14 years old I live in Manchester(UK) before my father died, now I live with my mother in Ireland. my father is from Manchester UK and my mother is from Ireland. My late father Mr. Hunt Martin has a big Real Estate company in Manchester before he died in a car accident last year July 25th 2005. he left 10 Million (Ten Million Pounds) in his account before he died. The 10Million millions is in (Union National Bank UK)

I have been trying to collect the money from (Union National Bank UK) but the account operator told me to go and look for some one honest and old enough to help me collect the 10 Million (Ten Million Pounds) I could have told my mother to assist me in collecting the 10Million but my mother and father where divorced before my father died and my father told me not to have anything to do with my mother, I don’t even want her to know about this because what my father told me before he died was correct, now that I stay with my mother in Ireland she doesn’t take care of me all she dose is to take hard drugs and to bring men to the house and she always hit me.

I don’t want to have anything to do with her, I just want some one old enough and honest to help me collect the 10Million from the bank as I am too young to take control of 10Million. Please I need your help, if you can assist me to collect the 10Million from the bank I will give you 30% and take 70%. I have all documents in my name you can confirm from the bank. I am indeed the Next of Kin to my late father Mr. Edward Hunt Martin.

The account operator (Union National Bank UK) told me to look for some body that is honest and old enough so that he can send the 10Million to the persons account as soon as possible.

If you can help me I will contact the account operator (Union National Bank UK) and tell him that I have found an honest person who is willing to help me collect the 10Million, so when you contact him he will know I sent you.

I will give you is contact so you can contact him to enable him send the 10Million to your provided account immediately Please help me. I will be waiting for your urgent reply so I can give you the contact of the bank and send you the last statement of account of my late father Certificate of deposit, and I will also send you my picture and my birth certificate. Please help me reply back on this email: [email protected] so I can send you all information’s you need.

Best Regards
Edward Hunt

I suppose this makes it a lot more believable now...
And they still haven't learned to spell.

Pawel Skalinski

actually it's punctuation and syntax... the spelling is, uh, fine, for the most part.

[Edited at 2006-10-10 16:18]
Collapse

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
Italian to English
+ ...
They can't spell in any language Oct 10, 2006

I received such a message yesterday in French telling me that some unlucky heiress needed me to help her collect $20 million so she could come to "my" country. Since she sent me the message in French, I'm only assuming she thinks I live in France (which I do not). I don't understand how she thought an .it address was in France or why she would even assume I speak French. I guess you don't need to be smart to be an heiress. And the spelling was atrocious… not to mention the grammar… but what ... See more
I received such a message yesterday in French telling me that some unlucky heiress needed me to help her collect $20 million so she could come to "my" country. Since she sent me the message in French, I'm only assuming she thinks I live in France (which I do not). I don't understand how she thought an .it address was in France or why she would even assume I speak French. I guess you don't need to be smart to be an heiress. And the spelling was atrocious… not to mention the grammar… but what can you expect from a swindler?

[Edited at 2006-10-10 16:03]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
French to English
Times must be getting hard Oct 10, 2006

In this version, they're offering a 40/60 split :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/09/manchester_419/

I do find it amusing that, despite changing many details (names, etc), they've decided to maintain the Manchester theme, presumably blissfully unaware of the reputation that city "enjoys" in the UK (you can get an idea from the comments on the link). I
... See more
In this version, they're offering a 40/60 split :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/09/manchester_419/

I do find it amusing that, despite changing many details (names, etc), they've decided to maintain the Manchester theme, presumably blissfully unaware of the reputation that city "enjoys" in the UK (you can get an idea from the comments on the link). I guess they must be blinded by the glory that is Manchester United ....
Collapse

Nicole Martin
Nicole Martin
Local time: 15:26
German to English
Do as I say, not as I do Oct 10, 2006

I like how poor little Eddie Hunt says 4 times that he needs an honest person. I find that a little hypocritical, coming from a scam artist.

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:26
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
By phone too... Oct 10, 2006

I have a Skype-in phone number, seemingly in London - and regularly (that is almost every evening by midnight, until I blocked the incoming number) - I had a phone call on the voicemail from a so-called 'Alicia' "I am coming to London next week, I need to see you, please call me back (probably another Skype-in number, seemingly in the UK) that's important etc."

Not only I do not know any "Alicia", but I have never lived in London and this person spoke with an accent, er, say, not ex
... See more
I have a Skype-in phone number, seemingly in London - and regularly (that is almost every evening by midnight, until I blocked the incoming number) - I had a phone call on the voicemail from a so-called 'Alicia' "I am coming to London next week, I need to see you, please call me back (probably another Skype-in number, seemingly in the UK) that's important etc."

Not only I do not know any "Alicia", but I have never lived in London and this person spoke with an accent, er, say, not exactly British - even to my French and weak ears.
The calling number was not the one she was giving in the message but +44100000000 - a hidden number. I tried twice to pick up the call, just to make sure that it wasn't a long forgotten friend - but it turns out that it kept on speaking obviously, a recorded voice.

But the Nigerians probably haven't invented the Nigerian Scam - the French police was already warning about that in the early 19th c, at the time it was called "Lettre de Jérusalem".
http://www.languefrancaise.net/dossiers/dossiers.php?id_dossier=91

Florence
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Nigerian scam moves to the EU

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »