Off topic: Which time is shown in the e-mails of Yahoo?
Thread poster: xxxSanjiv Sadan
xxxSanjiv Sadan
Local time: 03:20
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 18, 2006

Is it the time of the sender's country?

Is it GMT?

Is it American Time?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Local time: 23:50
Italian to English
+ ...
Pacific Standard Time Oct 18, 2006

Hi Sanjiv,

There are four time zones in the US (not including Alaska and Hawaii). I believe the Yahoo clock is on Pacific Standard Time (Los Angeles and San Francisco), which is three hours behind Eastern Standard Time (New York), which is five hours behind London.

There is no such thing as "American Time". I realize that most countries have only one time zone, but Russia, for example, has eleven, I imagine that China has several, and Brazil probably has at least a few, among others, any country that has a significant east-west expanse (Indonesia also comes to mind).

I hope this helps.

jelly_gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:20
Member (2006)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
It is all about sender's time zone Oct 19, 2006

The Time shown in yahoo mails corresponds to the local time in sender's Time Zone when he pressed the 'Send' button. The yahoo mail headers show the time in this format: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:03:55 +0530. Here the time 09:03:55 is the local time in the sender's time zone when he sent the email and +0530 indicates that sender's time zone is +0530 hrs ahead of GMT.

Sophia Hundt  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Don't think so. Oct 19, 2006

bale002 wrote:

Hi Sanjiv,

There are four time zones in the US (not including Alaska and Hawaii). I believe the Yahoo clock is on Pacific Standard Time (Los Angeles and San Francisco), which is three hours behind Eastern Standard Time (New York), which is five hours behind London.

There is no such thing as "American Time". I realize that most countries have only one time zone, but Russia, for example, has eleven, I imagine that China has several, and Brazil probably has at least a few, among others, any country that has a significant east-west expanse (Indonesia also comes to mind).

I hope this helps.

Actually, I don't think this can be the case. Just got an email (at yahoo) indicating 18:30 (6:30 pm), whereas in California (Pacific time) it was about 12:30 P.M. at the time. The sender, however, was proz.com bounse handler, so I have no clue what time that is set for. This was, therefore, London time (London is 6 hours ahead of where I am, Central Time). Is the London time also the GMT time? (Forgive my ignorance, I don't remember but think so?) In this case, gelly_gill's version would be correct, given that proz.com site time is set at GMT... Am I making sense to you?

[Edited at 2006-10-19 19:54]

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Local time: 23:50
Italian to English
+ ...
GMT and London Time, Yahoo clock Oct 20, 2006

I think there is a six-month period of the year during which London time and GMT are an hour apart, but I can't remember if it's April to October, or October to April. By the way, I think in Europe and North America, at least, we change the clocks back one hour in less than ten days.

For a long while, my Yahoo clock regularly showed PST, but recently I have noticed that it has indeed adjusted to my computer's clock, though I'm not sure when this change occured.

Sophia Hundt  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Russian to English
+ ...
GMT time Oct 20, 2006

Always was my favourite when they set back the clock - get that extra hour of sleep.

So GMT time is not set back??

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which time is shown in the e-mails of Yahoo?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search