Off topic: 2b or not 2b... wot nxt?
Thread poster: Natasha Dupuy

Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:53
French to English
Nov 7, 2006

I stumbled upon an interesting article today in The Guardian. The opening paragraph reads:

"Thank you, Scotland. First John Knox, then the Enlightenment and now the Scottish Qualifications Authority. In a direct challenge to the English at their most reactionary, the authority has declared that it will accept text-messaging short forms in school examinations."

For the full text:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1938314,00.html

If anyone would like to comment, I would be really interested in hearing your views on this!

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:53
English to French
+ ...
Reminds me of the Ortograf alternatif Nov 7, 2006

We had something similar in Montreal (similar in that they are actually trying to modify language into some monster). City Hall posted a text by the mayor that was so user-friendly, they had two versions of it. The regular version and a version for people with mental handicaps that were causing them to have difficulty reading. I will not comment on it here - if you look it up in the forum, you will find it - but let's just say it looked a lot like this: Sidi hawl jost pewsted a nu vershen of de meiors messidge. The point was to write French exactly as we pronounce it.

My opinion on this is simply that we are killing language with such dumb ideas. Just how are kids supposed to learn proper English - or Scottish - if we feed them with this junk, and now even force them to study of for it? Even kids who don't use text messaging will have to learn this - so we are even perverting sane minds here.

What a pity!

[Edited at 2006-11-07 17:23]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Canada Nov 8, 2006

Hi Viktoria,

Was the City Hall message also posted in two versions of English for the anglophones?
When I was living in Montreal there was always a lot of debate about language and it usually turned very political and heated very quickly. The issue is already complicated over there, I'm surprised Montreal City Hall would go so far as to complicate it even more. I'm sure the OQLF had a lot to say about this!

Thanks for sharing,

Natasha

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:53
English to French
+ ...
Here is the link Nov 8, 2006

Take a look - it'll blow your mind!

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=2496,3086502&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

I don't know about the reaction of the OQLF - they may have protested, but it was probably drowned in a sea of general protest. There were editorials in the paper about this, newspaper readers wrote letters to editors, people discussed it on TV. In general, we don't accept this - and yet the site is still there. I guess it's easier living in denial than recognizing one's mistakes.

What are we coming to? Is this what we will do to protect our language? Is this a joke?

To the Scots: be heard! Don't accept such foolishness and let the Qualifications Authority know that it's not going to happen. You owe it to your youth and to your culture.

[Edited at 2006-11-08 19:51]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link Nov 8, 2006

They've all fallen on their heads! I notice the Mayor didn't feel the need to simplify his title

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2b or not 2b... wot nxt?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search