Thread poster: biankonera

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:25
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 16, 2006

Dear all,

today I made a misfortunate refference in one of my posts which - as I was told - has been considered very offensive by our Greek colleagues.

The quote I mentioned - Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. meaning - Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks, even bearing gifts.) (Vergil, Aeneid II.49) - I had read some time ago but unfortunatelly was unable to quote that instant. I would like to stress that it was intended as a humour NOT as an insult (the same way as the little cartoon posted today under the title "Italy vs EU" if I remember correctly where the fun is made of Italians (them being shown as less reasonable as all other Europeans which could be considered equally as insulting).

Coming from a multinational family and country I do respect each nationality and it has never come to my mind to insult somebody for any reason.

Anyway, whatever the reason for this misunderstanding and having great respect for the wonderful community of ProZ - I do appologize most sincerely to our Greek colleagues for the misfortunate posting of mine.

Wishing everyone a serene evening,

Stella

[Edited at 2006-11-16 17:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:25
Spanish to English
A classical reference Nov 16, 2006

I do not know in what context you said this but the only connection with Greeks in the original phrase "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" is to the wars of Troy and the Trojan horse. And in that sense it is extremely complimentary about their great past.

As a colloquial expression, it does not refer to Greeks in particular.

Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly the case Nov 16, 2006

Lesley Clarke wrote:

As a colloquial expression, it does not refer to Greeks in particular.

This was exactly the way I had intended it from the start - as a colloquial expression and nothing more.

Stella

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Too much ado about nothing... Nov 16, 2006

Dear Stella,

I don't think you should apologise. The quote does exist and refers to Troy and the Trojan horse. It is indeed very complimentary - although controversial - and indicative of Ulysses' brilliance.

If any Greek colleague was offended, I say let them be! I am part Greek and live in Greece and I see nothing wrong with this quote. All it says, is beware of any gift offered for no reason because it might bring about your downfall... and/or read the small print...

And I agree with Lesley, that as a colloquial expression it does not refer to Greeks, but only to people who are trying to trick you.

I cannot really believe how easily people are offended for no reason.

Nadia

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
I can understand why somebody would find it offensive Nov 16, 2006

Stella, first of all let me thank you for editing your post (although posting here about the same subject defeats the purpose, methinks ). I hadn't read it until it was brought to my attention by fellow Greek prozians. The saying in itself, in the proper context (as already explained by Lesley) is not offensive. However the discussion in which it was mentioned was about Greeks/Greek clients, and my impression after reading your post was that you had doubts about trusting Greek clients based on that saying (in other words, that you generalized based on that saying about the Danaans). Granted, different people interpret postings in different ways, some may find a posting funny, others may feel offended. In any case, I am absolutely sure that your intention was not to offend anybody. So don't worry, no apology was necessary. Editing your post was more than enough. Thanks again for your understanding.
Maria

Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
all well what ends well Nov 16, 2006

Maria Karra wrote:

However the discussion in which it was mentioned was about Greeks/Greek clients, and my impression after reading your post was that you had doubts about trusting Greek clients based on that saying (in other words, that you generalized based on that saying about the Danaans). Granted, different people interpret postings in different ways, some may find a posting funny, others may feel offended.

No no, Maria, by no means - in this case it was just the coincidence of several aspects creating a rather misfortunate confusion.:)

Anyway, am glad its all settled now.:)

Stella

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 18:25
English to Russian
+ ...
How interesting Nov 17, 2006

bramasole wrote:

timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.

This quote is commonly used in colloquial Russian but in our translated version we keep a russified version of "Danaos" and never use "Greeks".

I also agree that you should not overburden yourself with too much guilt. Apparently, this unfortunate misunderstanding is dying of a natural cause as we speak:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

my appologies

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search