Off topic: New Advice: Don't Sit Up Straight!!!
Thread poster: Andres & Leticia Enjuto

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 29, 2006

Hello everybody.

I just read an article on a medical study on postures, whose results show that "A 135-degree body-thigh sitting posture was demonstrated to be the best biomechanical sitting position, as opposed to a 90-degree posture, which most people consider normal,"

I thought this is vital for us to know, and wanted to share it.

Here's the complete article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20061128/sc_livescience/newadvicedontsitupstraight

It turned out to be the posture I like better, but not my wife's actually. And I suspect many of you will find this useful.

Take care!

Andrés

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Makes sense -- so use speech recognition Nov 29, 2006

After reading the article, I checked my desk chair (actually an armchair). Sure enough, close to 135°. I find that the most comfortable angle for using speech recognition rather than a keyboard. Avoiding back pain -- as I have done -- is a compelling argument.

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
English to German
+ ...
Please do not believe everything with the name science on it Nov 29, 2006

The so-called study was only an examination of a small group of people (22) and they only took a closer look at one part of the body (lower part of the spine).

Moreover they did not examine what happens to people who use this posture frequently but just guessed!:

"This may be all that is necessary to prevent back pain, rather than trying to cure pain that has occurred over the long term due to bad postures," Bashir said.

To me it seems that these so-called researchers were just a bunch of intelligent students playing around with some powerful equipment and the press liked the result, because it is contrary to what they journalists heard as children.

This is just fast and dirty guess work for a problem that hits and hurts millions of people and by no means offers a solution.

If you work in a sitting posture over a long time you absolutely have to get up often and move around and you absolutely have to do something to train the muscles of you back, because that is the part of your body that should keep the pressure at a reasonable level.

If you start sitting at 135° as a rule, the muscles of your back will weaken considerably and this will cause serious problems in all other areas of your life, where you simply cannot lie down.

I have been doing Tai Chi for some years now, I am married to a Tai Chi teacher and we discussed this problem with physicians and worked with many people with aching backs. What we found so far: Lying down does not help on the long run!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Advice: Don't Sit Up Straight!!!

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search