Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What are your favourite traditional Christmas Carols?
Thread poster: Stephanie Wloch

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:21
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Dec 20, 2006

Hello dear colleagues all over the world!
I am not religious (anymore) but I still like to sing traditional Christmas carols.
When I was a child we were singing and playing (piano/flute) at home. Several days before Christmas Eve.
What are your favourite Christmas Carols and why?

I like “Maria durch ein Dornwald ging“ most. (?Blest Mary Wanders Through the Thorn?)
This one really pulls my heartstrings because of the wonderful melody and the text.
Kommet, ihr Hirten (come, all ye shepherds) is very cheerful and got a good groove.
Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht (silent night, holy night) reminds me of my Grandma who wasn’t a good singer but a very nice granny.
And I do adore the Misa Criolla by Ariel Ramirez. I sang it when I was a member of the chamber choir of Düsseldorf. Listen to the strong voice of Mercedes Sosa and you will get thrills. “paz a los hombres paz”

There are also special singing traditons in Italy. I remember one between christmas and epiphany: in the evenings a group of people (Malcesine, Lago di Garda) went from house to house singing and being rewarded with panettone and wine. 

Christmassy greetings!:-)
Stephanie

[Edited at 2006-12-20 13:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:21
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Many Dec 20, 2006

"Rudolph the red reindeer" - because it's funny

"Santa Claus is coming to town" - there are lots of lovely versions and it makes me think about the gifts

"All I want for Christmas is you" - I sang it today to my son.

"Silent night" - because the spirit of the song has got to do with the spirit of the season itself

"A todos um bom Natal" - a lovely Portuguese song sang by a choir

I love listening to Christmas songs!

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Turn me off Dec 20, 2006

I'm afraid the Christmas carols (in English and German) tend to turn me off. Although I am a Christian with a very active church involvement and definitely believe the accounts of the birth of Jesus in the Gospels, I am not keen on the way this event is traditionally presented in song.

(As I write this I am listening to an on-line contemporary Christian music radio station - the only one I have found that does not jump on the Christmas bandwagon).

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
I do not quite understand why Dec 20, 2006

Hello Victor,
I am interested in your point of view, but I am afraid that I do not understand quite well your reason.

Victor Dewsbery wrote:
I am not keen on the way this event is traditionally presented in song.

Why not traditionally? If a children choir is singing:"Kommet ihr Hirten." The traditional way I mean. You would not like it then?

Regards Steffi

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
All the traditionals, but only in the church in my home village. Dec 20, 2006

I love "Stille Nacht" but what really gets me is "Ihr Kinderlein, kommet". It is always sung by the little kids in our church, and it gives my a very special feeling having been one of them and singing this song many years ago.
Time is running and we will never be ablte to turn it back.

Happy Holidays

Siegfried

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No accounting for taste Dec 20, 2006

Tuliparola wrote:
I am interested in your point of view, but I am afraid that I do not understand quite well your reason.
Victor Dewsbery wrote:
I am not keen on the way this event is traditionally presented in song.

Why not traditionally? If a children choir is singing:"Kommet ihr Hirten." The traditional way I mean. You would not like it then?
Regards Steffi

It is mainly a question of taste. I prefer more modern styles of music. No particular reason, just my musical preference.

I suppose that a large proportion of Christmas songs in most languages (both religious and non-religious) are rather sentimental, too (although exactly which songs this applies to is perhaps rather subjective). This is an added turn-off factor for me. The events described in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke were mainly very matter-of-fact and not sentimental. I am enthusiastic about the drama of the events as narrated in the Bible, but many songs lose the drama and the element of surprise and clothe the story in a musical style that is just "not my thing".

I will be at church services over the next few days that include some of the traditional songs, and I will join in (and try to benefit from the content, even though it's not quite my music). But my musical preferences are elsewhere.

(Listening on-line to "PraiseReport.com Radio" - one of my favourites, although I appreciate it's not everybody's cup of tea.)

[Edited at 2006-12-20 16:15]

xxxsofiablu
Netherlands
My favourites Dec 20, 2006

I am not a Christian myself, but a good song is always a pleasure to listen to.
Italian Christmas Carols are usually boring and sentimental (thanks Victor for providing the right word!) and I can't stand them.

However, I've always loved to listen to "Adeste fidelis", both its Latin and English versions, "O Come All Ye Faithful".
Its music is beautifully written and the lyrics express all the joy from the coming of Christ on Earth, without a hint to sentimentalism.

Another favourite of mine is "Deck the Hall". It's "pagan" enough for me, it reminds me of how glorious winter can be, how charming is to see Nature as a "sleeping beauty".

I will spend my second Christmas in Amsterdam, where I really enjoy living.

Have a very Merry Christmas, dear colleagues!

Buon Natale a tutti voi!

Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I love traditional carols... Dec 20, 2006

My favourites are "Ding Dong Merrily on High", "Oh Come all Ye Faithful" and "In the Bleak Mid Winter".
I like to keep the traditional words too. I don't like it when they update words such as "ye" to "you", etc.

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:51
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jingle Bell..... :) Dec 20, 2006

Dear fellows,
The favourite chrismas carols? .... yup, I can remember singing 'Jingle Bell, jingle bell, jingle all the way......", when I was studying in a Delhi missionary school in my school days. I enacted on stage as well on one of the carole alongwith my schoolmates.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!
PRAKAASH

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dutch "Kerstliederen" Dec 20, 2006

Hi Tuliparola, your question brought back many fond memories. I love the traditional Dutch Christmas songs such as:

"Nu zijt wellekome" (my favourite)
"Er is een kindeke geboren op d'aard"
"De herdertjes lagen bij nachte"

I haven't heard them for years - have decided I should get a CD.

Thanks for asking!

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
One I never stopped liking Dec 20, 2006

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/hey_ho_nobody_home.htm

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
The Cambridge Service Dec 20, 2006

I have an aversion to modern hymns and carols, being a closet sentimentalist masquerading as a grumpy old man.

To become less grumpy, I like listening to most of the traditional ones you will hear on Christmas Eve from Kings College Cambridge. Always meant to attend the service, but never managed it yet.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/ninelessons/2004/.

Worth listening to on net radio if you have the chance. Superb choir, organ etc.

Let me know if you miss it Steffi, and I shall try to make alternative arrangements.

Merry Christmas

Chris

P.S. I just sent you some of the "panettone" you mentioned but the wine will have to wait...

[Edited at 2006-12-20 19:30]

Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I agree Dec 20, 2006

Textklick wrote:

I like listening to most of the traditional ones you will hear on Christmas Eve from Kings College Cambridge. Always meant to attend the service, but never managed it yet.

I agree with every word you said:) If I think of Christmas carols in English, that is definitelly King's College Choir .

I don't know why, but I have always loved all those about the three kings (both in English and Croatian).

[Edited at 2006-12-20 19:29]

Refugio
Local time: 06:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hopes and fears Dec 20, 2006

I love "O Little Town of Bethlehem" because it embodies the more reflective, slightly melancholy side of traditional Christmas carols and forms a nice emotional counterpoint to the music of joy. Each year we dare to hope for the world, but we still fear our hopes will be dashed. Of course, I had to try my hand at translating the feel of it into Spanish, but this is still a work in progress. Here's what I have so far:

Belén, pueblito oscuro, yaces en serenidad,
Las estrellas pasan en silencio, duermes sin soñar.
Mas en tus calles brilla la eterna luz de Edén,
En tí los sueños de los siglos vuelven a nacer.

[O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie,
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by.
But in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting light,
The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.]

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. And to those who don't, peace on earth, good will to all.

[Edited at 2006-12-21 15:56]

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
"Christmas Carol" from Adolphe Adam Dec 20, 2006

Can't help so, that's the name of the song.
Actually, I don't like the traditional ones so much, they're a little bit empty and annoying to me. Remembering the old times, I like to remember snow and so on. But even Moscow was up to yesterday without snow. I like a new song from the Cockman Family, it's called "In The Stable" and is really funny. It's Bluegrass and the musicians copy the assumed animals in the stable, like hens, sheep, cows, pigs. That cpoying must be considered successfull because opening my door or window makes the sheep of my neighbour bleating in unison. Bluegrass has that effect anyway. I don't like that uncountable jigs, reels, rags and breakdowns so much (all instrumentals), but the birds of another neighbour are fond of them! Actually, Bluegrass music is an implemented all-season seasonal goodwill, it makes you wishing everybody has greener grass, and sharing your music.
If you want a "sample" of "In The Stable", "Nu Zijt Wellekome" or "Kerstzang" (the "Christmas Carol" in Dutch), tell my your e-mail address.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your favourite traditional Christmas Carols?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search