Off topic: Shipping a car from Europe to the US
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Jan 12, 2007

Has anyone ever had any experience with shipping a car from Europe to the US? I'm moving this summer and have a brand new car, so I am thinking that I might like to try and ship it-
All ideas welcome!!

Jennifer

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
German to English
Could be expensive Jan 12, 2007

I looked into this a number of years ago when I moved back to the US from Germany. The cost of retrofitting the vehicle to meet US safety and emissions requirements was prohibitively expensive. Transporting the vehicle was the least of the expense.

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:41
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Kevin Jan 12, 2007

You should also consider that the amount of Euro has much more value once you change it to USD. That should make buying a car in the US much easier

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-12 20:55]

Magdalena Reyes
Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some of foreign trade Jan 13, 2007

Hi

I haven't had the experience of shipping a car, but I worked for a shipping company for many years and I know that standard cars can be shipped in one DV20 container (dry cargo) or in a roll on-roll off vessel for cars or any vehicles.
Normally besides shippment charges you should consider extra customs charges, paper work and so on.
Maybe you should ask a forwarder to quote you door to door shippment and that would include everything. Then you will know exactly
... See more
Hi

I haven't had the experience of shipping a car, but I worked for a shipping company for many years and I know that standard cars can be shipped in one DV20 container (dry cargo) or in a roll on-roll off vessel for cars or any vehicles.
Normally besides shippment charges you should consider extra customs charges, paper work and so on.
Maybe you should ask a forwarder to quote you door to door shippment and that would include everything. Then you will know exactly how much it would cost you and you would not need to do paper work that could be troublesome in other country.

Good luck!

Magdalena

[Edited at 2007-01-13 14:03]
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jan 13, 2007

...to everyone for your suggestions.
Magdalena's comments were especially helpful. I know that it will surely be expensive, but my car is basically brand new and paid for, so the cost of shipping will surely be less than the cost of a car of the same value in the US.

Thanks again-
Jennifer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shipping a car from Europe to the US

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »