Off topic: Meaning of Moogo
Thread poster: Delinguaproz

Delinguaproz
Local time: 14:29
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2007

Does the word "moogo" mean something in your language? This is a nickname of a friend and I promised to find out whether it means something nasty...

Many thanks,
Katja

Direct link Reply with quote

mjbjosh
Local time: 13:29
English to Latvian
+ ...
No Jan 16, 2007

No, not in Latvian.

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Did you try Google? Jan 16, 2007

I googled it and found:
Por outra parte, moogo (pronuniciado mo-ó-go, vocábulo grave com ó tónico aberto) é substantivo comum vivo na língua da época trovadoresca, usado repetidamente nas Cantigas de Santa Maria com o significado de ‘monge’, ‘sacerdote’.
So it meant (in the era of troubadours, so the Middle Ages) monk, or priest.
Have a nice evening

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Argentine Spanish Jan 16, 2007

Katja,

If you want to be subtle, a similar word (Mogo, with a single 'o' and pronounced /o/) may be a problem in the Spanish we speak in Argentina, but I will write you in private as this might be a controversial subject.

Hugs,

Au

Carmen Hernaiz
Spain
Local time: 13:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yo también quiero Jan 16, 2007

Aurora, por favor envíame también la explicación, porque no recuerdo esa palabra de mis años porteños y me muero de curiosidad.

Abrazos,
Carmen

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Me too Jan 16, 2007

Aurora, could you please send me the private note as well. I remember hearing this but for the life of me cannot remember anymore what it is.

Perhaps it shouldn't be too bad. I would have remembered something brazenly shocking. Don't you think?

Thanks,
Lucinda

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
hola Jan 16, 2007

'Mogo' is an offense, generally used by children or teenagers, which makes specific reference to a group of human beings. (I was a teacher of children who belonged to such a group and I am specially careful about the whole matter, probably because of my own experience.)

I am not usually a euphemistic person but this might be a sensitive arena for some people.

(Had it been a normal insult, I would have 'written' it loud and clear.)

Au

[Editado a las 2007-01-16 22:10]

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
A solution to the "sensitivity" problem?? Jan 17, 2007

Katja - why not, just for Spanish, post a Kudoz question, which you can mark as potentially offensive. Then post a link to that question from here - not forgetting to mention that some may find it offensive.

In that way, Au won't be overloaded with emails from people wondering what it means, and anyone on this thread who is curious to know more (e.g. me!!) will be able to find out easily what it's all about

Delinguaproz
Local time: 14:29
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 17, 2007

Gracias por la explicación...no esperaba que sea nada sensible. And yes, I should have posted the question as a Kudoz question, but I didn't know it was Spanish...

Best regards and thanks again,
Katja

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is not Spanish Jan 17, 2007

Katja Virtanen wrote:

Gracias por la explicación...no esperaba que sea nada sensible. And yes, I should have posted the question as a Kudoz question, but I didn't know it was Spanish...

Katja

Hola, Katja.

This is not Spanish, I was just answering your question: Does the word "moogo" mean something in your language?

It does not mean anything at al, but if pronounced with /o/ it does have a negative meaning in Spanish.

Also, I understood you wanted insight from all posible languages to make sure that moogo does/does not mean something nasty. For that purspose, this is the right place and not the KudoZ section (who would have been assigned the 4 points?)

Hugs,

Au

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Seconding Au Jan 17, 2007

Katja Virtanen wrote:

Best regards and thanks again,
Katja

Yeah, all I meant was that, to resolve the sensitivity issue around the Spanish word "mogo" (not moogo, the subject of your orginal query), you could have posted just that word - mogo - just in Spnaish->English, marked as potentially offensive, and then the info would be available to those interested

FWIW, I can't think of any English meaning it could possibly have, although that could depend on how it is pronounced.

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:29
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
in Greek Jan 22, 2007

In Greek, stressed on the last syllable it means mute, unable to speak.

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of Moogo

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search